Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Prem 1 & 2  (Read 1028 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Prem 1 & 2
« on: August 06, 2023, 10:30:57 AM »
From the Pirates site and might suggest where we might have a "get-in card" -

The chairman of Cornish Pirates, Paul Durkin, says he expects a new structure for English club rugby with a Premiership One and Premiership Two in an interview with BBC Radio Cornwall.
It comes as the Pirates start work on a new ground in Truro, which will initially be a 3,000 capacity and shared with Truro City - with the aim of opening in 12 months time for the National League South side before the Pirates leave their Mennaye Field home in Penzance at a later date.
"What we don't know is, and this is why I can't say for definite when we might move, is what the minimum criteria might be for what we're talking about as being Prem One and Prem Two," Durkin told BBC Radio Cornwall.
"We don't know what the criteria are going to be for Prem Two, but what I do know so far, and this is what they're talking about, we won't know until the end of this calendar year, that's what the plan is, is that it will not be Championship."
"The Championship clubs will be asked to have an expression of interest that they want to join Prem Two.
Durkin says a club like Cornish Pirates needs to be fully professional in the second tier as there are not the jobs around that would sustain a semi-professional side unlike places such as London."
The full interview is on the BBC sports website.
At the end of the day it will all come down to the willingness of the RFU and PRL to help with the funding of a fully professional 2nd tier.
If they fail to fund it correctly then the 2nd tier will be professional in name only and some clubs will walk away or go bust.
It's unforgivable that yet again championship clubs are waiting on a decision over their future ahead of a new season and being unable to plan accordingly.
All of this is happening with a world cup starting in a month's time when the eyes of the world will be looking at our sport.
Let me tell you something cucumber