Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England  (Read 4754 times)

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »
Selection isn't the problem with England,  especially in the backs. It's their style and game plan that is lacking. They generate such slow ball it is impossible to create real momentum. That's why Alex Mitchell looks so bad currently. He can't  play his trademark quick and sniping game with the ball his pack deliver. Unless England can fix that it doesn't matter who you have in the backs.
I see England have picked the same bunch of forwards for the QF so are unlikely to generate much quicker ball than last week. Inevitability they'll be kicking and chasing for the whole match and hoping Fiji make mistakes in their own half. I know Wales do a lot of this too but at least they are a breakdown force that play off turnovers and have a huge defence. Unlike England.

I suspect with Fiji reverting to underdogs they will raise their game and blow England away at the breakdown. I doubt they'll make as many mistakes as England are hoping for either.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2023, 04:56:42 PM »
Come on Fiji.  Trounce 'em.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
I've been trying to be objective and think about why you would build that team around OF.

I haven't seen the the stats recently but of the 3 he's probably still the best place kicker, but by observation I'd say not by much over the past couple of years.

Leaving aside the liability of his dodgy technique and temperament he is the best defender of the 3.

We keep keep being told he's a great captain. Most of that is subjective but he doesn't look the sort of character I would have called a good leader when I was in the army, but be that as it may we have to take what we are currently being told.

And that's it as far as I can see.

On the other side of the ledger:

His distribution and play making is so plodding they've had to put a play maker at FB. Does the risk of a mistake there outweigh the benefit of having OF at 10?  I'm not convinced. Much as I like and rate Smith I think I'd prefer a FB who knows his trade and is likely to be in the right position when Fiji inevitably break the defensive line . Kicking isn't part of Fiji's normal game plan but I bet we see a bit more of it to test Smith.

If England want to play a kicking game, of the 3 Ford is the best kicker out of hand and its not close. And Smith is the best at the little grubbers. I'm not sure about the other 2 but Ford's drop goal skills are going to be worrying every defence,  causing them to push up a bit and concede penalties.

Smith is the best and most visionary play maker, I suppose its not that important if you want to play a turgid kicking game.

As for captain, there does appear to be a lack of calm heads around and Lawes, who I have rated quite highly in the past, didn't excel in Farrell's absence, but he wasn't bad.

Anyway, that's me thinking aloud and open to be corrected and we'll see what happens on Sunday.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 09:51:25 AM »
After 3 games of this years 6n, OF had a sub 50 pc kicking rate.
He was benched for the next match.
Can't remember the last one, I mean it is Engjand- and of course we all saw the warm ups.
So I think it is safe to say has not had a good game for England with boot this year.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2023, 04:59:29 PM »
Not just the boot, the rest of him hasn't been up to scratch.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2023, 08:09:39 PM »
That goes without saying.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »
The absurdity of the WC draw being so early: if England win this afternoon and France lose tonight, England will be the most successful northern hemisphere side  8)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2023, 04:02:10 PM »
I do like the Fiji National Anthem.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2023, 05:57:58 PM »
I take back most of what I said. OF was good, kicked well out of hand and made some good telling passes.

That must rate as the best performance for quite some time.