Always a Wasp

Author Topic: An attempt at objectivity  (Read 2637 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
An attempt at objectivity
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Ok, I've slept on it, and I think I'm now in a better place to address yesterday with less emotion and more reason.

I think one of the big issues we have actually identifying what the actual problem is.  The fact that we can't pin it down is extremely unsettling and tends to lead fans - those of us who actually have no hard knowledge and have to guess based on the public snippets we see - to make sweeping assumptions and ridiculous knee-jerk reactions.

Add to this the tendency to react emotionally to the most recent thing and you end up with highly negative, short term "solutions", such as the "Young Out" thread over at DW.

I think if we look at the season as a whole we can draw a few firm conclusions.

1) We're struggling with injuries - I'm not going to talk about this, it's clear to anyone who wants to look that we have a lot of players out, and many of them are the most influential ones.  It's been done to death.

2) New Players take some time to bed in.  We know Lima and Shields are top class operators, yet they are struggling.  Partly that is adjusting to a new style of game, and partly it is not actually having a stable squad to bed down into.  This will improve I have no doubt.  Again this has been talked about a lot.

3) Key internationals going missing during games.  Last season WLR and Daly were massively influential, this sason they have struggled to make their mark.  Obviously 1&2 have an effect, but I also believe that players react to international duty in one of two ways.  Some it buoys up, it invigorates them and they come back even better, more enthusuiastic, and in the best form of their life.  Some find the step down in intensity disheartening and seem to lose the ability to play at the level they obviously can.  This should rectify itself with time, and we can see WLR improving game on game.  Yes he's far from the world class full back he was last season, but he's clearly got some class.

4) Our coaching set-up has massively changed, and not for the better.  Again it's been done to the death, but we shouldn't ignore the impact it will be having.

The only other thing we can justifiably say is that despite the hysteria over at DW it isn't the same few players consistently failing.

Two games ago Booj was held up as a wonderful example of a player coming up from the Championship and successfully making the step up in intensity and skill.  Now he is considered to be an abject failure and a clear sign Dai knows nothing about recruitment.

Three games ago Lima was obviously the source of all our problems and Searle was the only possible solution.  Now Searle is spawn of Satan who can't even pick up a rugby ball without giving points away.  I could go on, but I think the only thing we can say is that players are not consistently bad, or consistently good.  Very few of them are firing constantly, or failing constantly. All this means is that there isn't an obvious problem we can fix by dropping someone and replacing them, even if we had the depth of squad.

I genuinely think that this is a perfect storm of problems.  None of the issues in isolation would be a big deal, but put them all together and it is impossible to work around.  I firmly believe it will come good in time.  We have no God given right to make the play offs, but I honestly think we have too much class to start worrying about relegation just yet.  We're three points off the play offs, and 9 points off relegation.  That shows how tight it is, and how little work we actually have to do to turn it around.

The one thing that worries me more than anything else - and I accept that this is simply an arbitrary judgement based off the footage the TV bosses decided to show us - but out bench looked like they were having a great day out.  Quins looked concerned and focussed on what was going on on the pitch.  When the camera panned across our remaining subs in the second half half it looked like they were having a lovely time.

I don't really understand why it is they weren't even a little bit concerned.  And that says more about the squad attitude to me than anything else.  If they aren't taking the current stream of failure seriously then how can we expect them to do anything about it.  The only person who looks like they know they are failing and hates every second of it is Lima.

Before I finish I'd like to say a word in defence of Myall.  Not too long ago Myall and Gaskell were our second row for a good chunk of the season and they did brilliantly well.  Then MYall got relegated to second or even third choice.  He is probably the most rounded 2nd trow we have, he isn't quite as good in the lineout as Gaskell, and he isn't quite as good in the breakdown as Launch, but he's a worthy second to both of them.  The slating he is getting is preposterous.

So I may be being delusional, but I genuinely believe we are very close to clicking, and that we will soon. We'll scrape a lucky win, and it will give us just the morale boost we need to start to play a little better.  In the long term I think the only changes we need to make are to the coaching set-up.  We need one or two new faces in, and we need at least one of them to be someone a bit special. 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt at objectivity
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »
So I may be being delusional, but I genuinely believe we are very close to clicking, and that we will soon. We'll scrape a lucky win, and it will give us just the morale boost we need to start to play a little better.  In the long term I think the only changes we need to make are to the coaching set-up.  We need one or two new faces in, and we need at least one of them to be someone a bit special.

I don't think you are being at all delusional, VV. I've been thinking much the same. When you are in a bad run of form, nothing seems to go right. You don't seem to have any lucky breaks. We would have beaten both Bath and Quins if we had just a little bit of luck going our way. Just a couple of isolated instances: when Dobby hacked through against Bath, he hit it just a tad too hard and also it broke left into touch rather than right and a probable score. Yesterday, Willie was understandably frustrated when he gathered a Quins knock on and, rather than allow any advantage CMK whistled up immediately. Hard to tell but Willie looked like he would have been well clear hence his hissy fit.

For most of the first half,  a lot of our players didn't look like they believed that Quins could be beaten. That's why we need a win - at the Ricoh next weekend. Form is all over the place this season so Saints' win against Exeter doesn't mean a thing.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
VV on your point 1) my worry is we are still bring players back before they are really match fit. Robson being yesterday's example. They try hard and either exacerbate the existing injury or pick up something else. I realise we are firmly in a "needs must" in playing people but I had hoped this season our cover would be better.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
VV on your point 1) my worry is we are still bring players back before they are really match fit. Robson being yesterday's example. They try hard and either exacerbate the existing injury or pick up something else. I realise we are firmly in a "needs must" in playing people but I had hoped this season our cover would be better.

I agree, it is a huge concern. Dan was a shadow of his former self yesterday.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »
Good review

I've worked with teams (both business and top level amateur sport) and sometimes there is no clear reason for under performance. All of your points are valid and as you say, something of a "perfect" storm. I once took over a top level cricket side that I was playing in and the Capt had lost the plot - great player - asked me to take over for the next season. We improved, but not for at least half a season, and it was probably not so much me as just being a different voice to listen to!

Wasps seem to be unable to apply - for whatever reason - basic management of resources. (Not referring to injuries, just working with what you have got) but that has been made harder by injuries. The loss of both international (or near)  9's and having a rookie having to cover 12 has made Lima's intro somewhat awkward. The England/international experience doesn't appear to have done the top players any favours and even Carr looks off the pace and we know he's a good player.

Now, there is more than one way to skin a cat, Wasps seem to want to carry on playing as if they have a fit backline of Robo, Lima, Daly, Jimmy, DeJ Wade and WLR and the full complement of forwards.

We haven't and the team by no means needs a change in management, Shields to captain possibly, and then at least accept there is an option to have a different strategic approach which (cliche alert....) earns the right to go wide. A right that a team with last year's confident backline had earned over many a game. And an approach that we certainly do not have the confidence to go for now.

I'm certainly not advocating Wasps should look to play a more limited style on a permanent basis, but yesterday, application of the dull basics probably would have got a win.

Probably time for a clear the air meeting. Bit of a must win next week and that pressure can only get worse - and the greater the pressure, the more you perhaps need to at least have the option of keeping it simple.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »
I find it hard not to be impressed with Booj, don't understand the criticism. He has heart.

My sense with the internationals is that they have half an eye on the world cup, which would be only natural I suppose.

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
VV,

It was quite difficult being rational immediately after the game. The first person in front of me stood up to go to the bar five minutes in and it didn't stop. Most of the second half was spent trying to see through girls attempting a Mexican Wave over and over again and it was only when one of their number was politely removed with about ten minutes to go that it settled down.

Having now watched the highlights I'm looking at it differently. We really did batter them for long periods of the game and I agree we are going to give someone a shoeing very soon.

Let's hope it's Northampton.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
I've been to a few at HQ, and the only one I enjoyed was an Army vs Navy match a few years back. It was about 3/4 empty and we were in the very front row. All the others have been a absolute trial of my patience.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:45:28 PM »
I've been to a few at HQ, and the only one I enjoyed was an Army vs Navy match a few years back. It was about 3/4 empty and we were in the very front row. All the others have been a absolute trial of my patience.

I was lucky to go to school in the 70's not far off Twickenham, such that we were given games afternoon off to travel by ourselves to the Varsity game one year. I always liked the old place, but it was past it. TBH I've enjoyed the odd game at the new stadium, decent tickets to a Prem Final in 05/06 and local knowledge on pubs and transport made for a fun day out.

I'd not be surprised if the people going over the last 12 years have "moved on" but at least at a Prem Final, most seemed to be rugby fans and we had a nice evening talking to fans in the pubs and waited for quite a late train - as we didn't have to go too far to my mates place.