Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The RFU have provided an update on its men?s professional game partnership  (Read 1417 times)

DarkKnight63

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The RFU have provided an update on its men?s professional game partnership, explaining that key elements of this new deal have been agreed. They also gave the latest on the status of negotiations regarding the Championship and its proposed revamp.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rfu-statement-professional-game-partnership-championship-update-england/

?The final decision on the exact format of the 14-team league will be made by the Tier 2 board no later than August 1, 2024, with the mechanism for any new teams in the league to be decided by council and announced ahead of the new season.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Big six weeks ahead.

Either the thumbs up or thumbs down will be given as to whether we can get a place in the championship for 2025/26 in August. I'm not sure how much of an issue finding somewhere to play will be. As it was announced back around February that temporary grounds had been secured in Greater London area.

With promotion/relegation being brought back, finding further investors will be easier (easier not easy). This should help with the building of the stadium in Sevenoaks if planning is granted.

We will have a year to get a head coach on board (hopefully someone with links to Wasps of old) draft a team and get a bunch of friendlies under our belts before the 25/26 comp begins.

Exciting times!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Did I miss it in all that blather, but was there any mention of funding? Promotion/relegation was there, with the usual almost impossible ground and facilities requirements.

The other two sticking points were funding, and that the RFU intended (implied but not stated) to invite Wasps, Warriors and Irish (thus implying some existing teams would be bumped 'down').

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Did I miss it in all that blather, but was there any mention of funding?

Yes....but only to state it hasnt yet been dagreed yet

Since April, we have been working with the extended Championship executive team to reach final agreement on the following components of the league: Funding; Delegation to a new Tier 2 board; Timeline to complete the MOS self-validation process; Competition structure.

?Council were updated on the progress made since its April meeting and members approved the revised minimum operating standards self-validation timeline and final delegation of authority to the Tier 2 board.

?The final decision on the exact format of the 14-team league will be made by the Tier 2 board no later than August 1, 2024, with the mechanism for any new teams in the league to be decided by council and announced ahead of the new season.

I would suggest there is a VERY long way still to go, Funding and the potential "Franchising" element of the new Tier 2 will be & have been the fundamental sticking points. Promotion was always a bit of red herring IMO.

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Big six weeks ahead.

Either the thumbs up or thumbs down will be given as to whether we can get a place in the championship for 2025/26 in August. I'm not sure how much of an issue finding somewhere to play will be. As it was announced back around February that temporary grounds had been secured in Greater London area.

With promotion/relegation being brought back, finding further investors will be easier (easier not easy). This should help with the building of the stadium in Sevenoaks if planning is granted.

We will have a year to get a head coach on board (hopefully someone with links to Wasps of old) draft a team and get a bunch of friendlies under our belts before the 25/26 comp begins.

Exciting times!

Update on the scottish website today provides more clarity.

No relegation in 24/25 from the current 12 team championship. The team winning national one in 24/25 will be promoted as the 13th team, with one other spot remaining

Quote: 'this may (or may not) be the team finishing 2nd in tier one, the process for selection will be managed by the new tier 2 boars and approved by rfu council'.

So there's potentially one slot available for one of the defunct teams - and not all 3.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
No relegation in 24/25 from the current 12 team championship

I wonder if all the Champ teams will be complaining that there's no relegation that season, as they are such big fans of relegation & promotion?

Quote: 'this may (or may not) be the team finishing 2nd in tier one, the process for selection will be managed by the new tier 2 boars and approved by rfu council'.

So there's potentially one slot available for one of the defunct teams - and not all 3.

But there hasn't been any further details about the proposed make up of this "Tier 2" and the idea of franchising rather than it just being made up of the existing Champ sides etc? Or have I missed something?

Robson9

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
No relegation in 24/25 from the current 12 team championship

I wonder if all the Champ teams will be complaining that there's no relegation that season, as they are such big fans of relegation & promotion?

But there hasn't been any further details about the proposed make up of this "Tier 2" and the idea of franchising rather than it just being made up of the existing Champ sides etc? Or have I missed something?

It hasn't helped that the rfu council and championship announcements were so high level and vague.

A few clubs (scottish, doncaster) have done their own announcements reacting to the detail we haven't seen yet - from reading those statements - tier 2 will be the current championship plus the national 1 24/25 winner plus one other. The idea of franchising (bar the potential mystery 14th club) is not happening as far as in aware.

There are minimum operating standards being put in place for 25/26 (building on the existing championship min operating standards) and the clubs are being asked to ensure that plans are in place to meet any shortfalls against the essential standards and a pathway towards the 'aspirational' standards. That's probably the closest you get to any hint of franchising requirements in the proposals
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 12:18:22 PM by Robson9 »

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Thanks Robson.

Never really liked the Franchise idea, although its probably Wasps (& Warriors & Irish's) only lifeline.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Thinking about it I wonder whether a Jersey return might be a more likely outcome for that 14th place?

IIRC they only went bust because no one wanted to invest in a championship with no known future or finances. If those issues get answered I wonder whether they might find the finance & put their side back together easier than the three ex prem clubs?
Would probably be more acceptable to the existing Champ clubs & PRL too...

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
For me, I have some philosophical issues with that word 'invest'.

I understand that some people with more money that any person could ever need to live well find a need express the size and pointlessness of that accumulation of wealth via public displays of said wealth.

Things named after them. Buildings, awards and so on. The Nobel prizes for example. Colleges at University, and so forth. The ability to be the 'famous' owner of a sports club. The Glazers with Manchester United, and so on.

However, money sunk in to a sport is not an investment. Any naming is lost with the next 'investor'. Any beneficence is forgotten as soon as the money ceases to flow. The benefactor is often pilloried afterwards.

Our societal desire for 'professional' sport is, on reflection, very odd and puzzling.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
I suppose I should clarify the reason for the post I just made.

The RFU, pundits, fans keep referring to money pumped in to a club as an 'investment'.

It is not. It is a folly of a rich or semi rich person, or persons. A whim, or whimsy.

Whether consciously or sub consciously, that person or those persons know that money spent is money 'lost'.

But, for as long as clubs, the RFU, and others, expect to see the current model as an 'investment', they will always struggle to find willing donors. By virtue of the way these people came by their money, they are generally not the type of people to then give it away so freely.

So, I argue that the 'model' is both flawed and broken. Clubs will continue to go under as their particular donor loses interest in their folly. Moreover, the insistence of yet higher standards (the grounds, squad sizes, salaries). The ring fencing of leagues (removal of meritocracy), makes those follies less attractive.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Investment= someone putting their money into something you like.

Subsidy = someone putting their money into something you don't like.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
NWW,

If Blair/Brown weren?t the first to use investment as a euphemism for spending they certainly brought it in to common usage.