Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More 'News' on Daly's move to Sarries  (Read 4723 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: More 'News' on Daly's move to Sarries
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
His registered address on Companies House is 15 miles away from Allianz Park, he is moving because he wants to be based in London, and of course playing for the best team - where trophies are pretty much guaranteed, and that will be the case for some time to come. Not sure where he will fit in naturally but Saracens will make room and they will need the depth with call ups, injuries and Europe. it is disappointing but there is no smoke without fire, Saracens are releasing players that will free up headroom within the cap. All of the moons are aligning and we need to think about who next to fill the gap. I am sure Dai will have this covered in his thinking, it is not a blindside action like Wade. Onward....
It was fine when I left it.....

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
It is a huge disappointment that he has chosen this path, but more so that he is wriggling out of a contract only signed 12 months ago.

Ultimately it doesn't look like he is playing with passion at present and that doesn't do Wasps any favours and we will continue on without him in future. 

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
Isn't it amazing how Sarries have managed to make the initial approach, exploratory talks, negotiations etc all in the 4 days  since the transfer window opened.  ;)

Do people think this will be the start of football-style transfer fees which then pushes clubs to negotiate with agents on an annual basis or will the salary cap keep things under control - not that it seems to stop Sarries recruiting BIL players while at the same time retaining their strength in depth?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »
A couple of things from me, underhand dealings are part and parcel of professional sport and will continue to be as long as money is involved. There is a very healthy supply chain in Rugby where people have their 'hand out' all the way along it. Rugby Union has a higher profile than ever before and as such these undesirable behaviours will only become more prevalent. The ED issue is always rumoured to be around his 'release clause' and the training facilities, therefore I conclude he and his advisors instigated the entire sorry episode. Changing his mind will be hard to impossible if he is the architect of this, which he seems to be. Interestingly when you look at Wasps players' Instagrams, ED is rarely seen with them socially or at all, ED's own Instagram has gone quiet. Perhaps this suggest he is spending less time engaged with the team or his traditional fan base to make sure that his 'exit' is less emotive, and he is not exposed to social media challenge from questioning fans.. Conversely WLR seems to be omnipresent perhaps suggesting he may stay.

I also think Saracens are heading for longer term issues, they were beaten by a 'dogged' and aggressive Steve Diamond style team performance last night, they didn't look top notch and perhaps a bit frayed. Even with a talismanic Billy V try they couldn't lift themselves enough. A huge array of galacticos and internationals can compound fitness and availability issues, a kind of reap what you sow situation. Toulon may be the case in point, who would have thought we would see their demise and fall from grace happen so quickly and dramatically, the defeat by Toulouse springs to mind. Wasps are in transition and I do think longer term this will help us, as we refocus our playing style and key personnel. I am still looking up!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
Isn't it amazing how Sarries have managed to make the initial approach, exploratory talks, negotiations etc all in the 4 days  since the transfer window opened.  ;)

Do people think this will be the start of football-style transfer fees which then pushes clubs to negotiate with agents on an annual basis or will the salary cap keep things under control - not that it seems to stop Sarries recruiting BIL players while at the same time retaining their strength in depth?

I don't think this is the start of it, I think it already started with clubs paying fees to release players from their contracts with other clubs, I think Jonny May for example. That's how football transfer fees started, until the values escalated to include perceived sporting and commercial value to the contract holding club.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
I also think Saracens are heading for longer term issues, they were beaten by a 'dogged' and aggressive Steve Diamond style team performance last night, they didn't look top notch and perhaps a bit frayed. Even with a talismanic Billy V try they couldn't lift themselves enough. A huge array of galacticos and internationals can compound fitness and availability issues, a kind of reap what you sow situation. Toulon may be the case in point, who would have thought we would see their demise and fall from grace happen so quickly and dramatically, the defeat by Toulouse springs to mind. Wasps are in transition and I do think longer term this will help us, as we refocus our playing style and key personnel. I am still looking up!

Im not convinced that is a pattern to beat Saracens consistently otherwise we'd all do it. Well, everyone except Wasps that is! I think they had an off night, it is good for others to see a chink in their armour but I think it won't be exposed again this season.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
I wasn't really suggesting that it was a pattern, I was merely pointing out that they are fallible and Steve Diamond had a plan, which Sharks stuck to (probably too scared not to  ;) ). I fully expect them Saracens to win the GP this year and perhaps triumph in Europe as well but their model is unlikely to be sustainable forever.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 09:48:46 AM »
I think this year is not the year to have nailed on internationals in your team. Professional, yes, but also human. They will all have half an eye on being fit for the world cup. Probably will be 'advised' on things to do to reduce risk of injury by their international coaches, not suggesting things that affect a performance, but it would play on the mind.
Intagible, and probably mostly subconscious, but will they offload just a little sooner, join a ruck just a little bit less and see more 'lost causes'?

Edit - The exception being Faf Dr Klerk, what a game he had last and sporting a black eye!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:52:38 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 01:52:01 PM »
The interesting thing will be how we react post 6N.

The temptation is to extract maximum value and play him in every game or to drop him as Dai did with Varndell.  It is very different to someone who has a had a contract run down and signed for someone else, he is using a clause to gain release if reports are to be believed.
Another more mischievous thing would be to release him directly to Sarries, as Quins did with Yarde to Sale, albeit for different reasons.  Somebody there would lose their place. Goode et al might think they will be fine next year, suddenly losing a place to accommodate Daly might concentrate their mind.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:53:36 PM by westwaleswasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
His registered address on Companies House is 15 miles away from Allianz Park, he is moving because he wants to be based in London, and of course playing for the best team - where trophies are pretty much guaranteed, and that will be the case for some time to come. Not sure where he will fit in naturally but Saracens will make room and they will need the depth with call ups, injuries and Europe. it is disappointing but there is no smoke without fire, Saracens are releasing players that will free up headroom within the cap. All of the moons are aligning and we need to think about who next to fill the gap. I am sure Dai will have this covered in his thinking, it is not a blindside action like Wade. Onward....

I'm not sure you can read too much into where his company is registered as quite often the accountant can act as Company Secretary and often uses the accountant's company address instead of the director's own address. Also, the company was incorporated 5 years ago so I don't think the location has any hidden meaning to the rumour of him going to Sarries.

I think all the clubs got together after the May deal to try and block clubs poaching players mid contract. If a player doesn't want to be at a club and the club doesn't want hem to be there (Yarde), then that's a different situation. Efefctively Slater was forced to move to Glos when he openly admitted he didn't want to move in a swap deal for May.

Now that a deal has been signed for the training facilities I'm wondering if Daly's clause is now void. In which case, Daly would have to buy himself out of his contract. But even for that to happen it would mean Wasps allowing him to do so. They could in theory put him on the bench for the rest of his contract.

He has to be wary that his form doesn't drop to such a level that he falls out of favour with EJ.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
I think that is his residential address and probably where he wants to live and work, I wasn’t pointing it out as direct linkage to Saracens. His heart is in the London area IMO, I am resigned to him not being a Wasp next season. The focus has to be on acquiring or developing a back of equal talent and flexibility.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
I think that is his residential address and probably where he wants to live and work, I wasn’t pointing it out as direct linkage to Saracens. His heart is in the London area IMO, I am resigned to him not being a Wasp next season. The focus has to be on acquiring or developing a back of equal talent and flexibility.

Charles Piutau like a move?  :D

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
I really would like a line drawn under this and have someone come out and say what's happening. That way rumours can end.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
I guess ultimately this one is down to Wasps, unless there is a get-out in his contract, although I seem to remember someone saying the training ground clause didn't exist, but like anything it's all hearsay.

The only thing for certain we know currently is that he has a Wasps contract for next year.

As has been said, both (or all 3) parties need to come to a conclusion and let everyone know.