Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai Young on WLR, Coventry Evening Telegraph  (Read 2863 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Dai Young on WLR, Coventry Evening Telegraph
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
Is he staying beyond this year, hard to tell emphatically but the optimist in me thinks he may be;

"The talks I've had with Willie, he feels he owes a lot to Wasps. He came to Wasps he was out of the South African team, he didn't feel like he had a future in the South African team and through his performances at Wasps, it's got him back in the mix. So he feels he owes a bit to Wasps."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/willie-le-roux-wasps-rumours-15646997
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dai Young on WLR, Coventry Evening Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
Not sure what to make out of that report. Every player goes through bad periods and I'm sure WLR will bounce back. Whether that's with us or not.. who knows? Lets see how things stand 3 months from now...

The question for Dai is whether to sign someone in the next 2 months or try to talk WLR into staying?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
I agree, and the expectations of WLR and ED are high, they are after all prominent players. WLR has worried me, more than ED. ED is behaving in a petulant manner, and in my mind is clearly struggling to make a decision - does he stay loyal and tough things out or hop on the Saracens success train? That would I hope explains his poor form, I cant believe he wouldn't try. There was of course that glimmer of the old ED combining with WLR at Toulouse. Sadly this has been the exception recently.

With WLR my concern is more around the high percentage of mistakes, knocking on under high balls, out on the full and falling off tackles (which aren't that hard to make), and generally not being positioned correctly. We saw this when he had to step in post Kurtley, then it all clicked and he was imperious for huge swathes of last season. I think he is a world class full back and I would love him to stay. Umaga can then come in and become the natural successor perhaps, sorry Rob Miller...Stuart Hogg would have been perfect for Wasps but he has gone to Chiefs where he may become frustrated working in a team that is obsessed with going through the phases and skewed heavily towards it's pack (effective but dull).
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Like i said before, the latest RugbyPod said WLR may be staying.

For me he is a must keep. Everyone has bad days, weeks etc but for every clanger he'll produce something positive. He is a genuine world class player, his link play is exceptional and he is bar far the best distributer we have. His range of passing and decision when too and general vision is insane, doesn't always come off, mostly does, but nothing ever does. If you rewatch a game and count all the subtle things he add's its crazy. Last year he was on fire, when we click again, he'll be on fire again.

I'd give him +Daly's wages to stay. If there's even a chance of him staying i'd be all over that.

Mancrush alert.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
Watch the replay of that extraordinary try on Sunday. Check how much ground Willie makes to be, initially, first to Reinach and then wrestling for the ball and getting the touchdown. And some people say he doesn't care. That play might just reestablish his confidence.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1082351441354858497
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
Yes Ross, I think he's an easy target but actually contributes so much more than he's given credit for. I know there is the 'value' question but if the club could make it work he'd be the one to keep.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »

I think that may be a bit of a crossed wires as reading the article on Rugby Pass they state he isn't going to the Bulls. I believe there was as attempt to get WLR back to SA for the Super Rugby season which starts soon, before he heads to Japan.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/a-bid-to-lure-le-roux-away-from-wasps-has-failed-reports

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »

I think that may be a bit of a crossed wires as reading the article on Rugby Pass they state he isn't going to the Bulls. I believe there was as attempt to get WLR back to SA for the Super Rugby season which starts soon, before he heads to Japan.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/a-bid-to-lure-le-roux-away-from-wasps-has-failed-reports

No, this was the last pod, that article is old and it was tittle tattle at best, he was never going mid year