Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Guardian Article on CVC  (Read 2113 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Guardian Article on CVC
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/10/premierships-cash-injection-could-hit-fans-players-and-lower-tier-clubs

Quite interesting especially this part (referring to Wasps?)

The CVC money, we are told, will not be used to stoke wage inflation. That appears to be fanciful. The players affected will be those on the fringe of a squad, earning around £50,000, who will make way for academy players. One head coach lamented recently that a player of his who was on £300,000 was offered a 20% increase which was trumped by a rival who offered to almost double his salary. The lesson of football in the Premier League era is that no matter how much a club’s turnover increases, fans will always be squeezed. There is never enough money.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Guardian Article on CVC
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
I would suggest that is Nathan Hughes, as he is reported to be going to Bristol on north of £500,000. The maths stack up.
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:59:01 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/10/premierships-cash-injection-could-hit-fans-players-and-lower-tier-clubs

Quite interesting especially this part (referring to Wasps?)

The CVC money, we are told, will not be used to stoke wage inflation. That appears to be fanciful. The players affected will be those on the fringe of a squad, earning around £50,000, who will make way for academy players. One head coach lamented recently that a player of his who was on £300,000 was offered a 20% increase which was trumped by a rival who offered to almost double his salary. The lesson of football in the Premier League era is that no matter how much a club’s turnover increases, fans will always be squeezed. There is never enough money.

In theory the salary cap should stop the CVC windfall going on players. Of course if a club wants to have a 30 man squad 90% of which are on £60k then that's always going to leave space for a few over-inflated salaries. I would suggest the future of a club using that model would be very shortlived though.

I'm wondering if the marquee rules need to be changed. Maybe reduce it to one. I'm not sure what the current rules are but perhaps if you've been a marquee player at one club you then can't be one at another?

I think Dai is right to stick to his monetary principles. Only pay what he thinks someone is worth.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »

A club can't sign someone from another club and make them a marquee player. That's one of the rules.
I think they need to be at the club for 2-3 years before they can then be a marquee player

The other marquee spot is only for players brought in from outside of the premiership.

The only way I can see the CVC money being used for players salaries is this:

1) if the club is currently operating well below the salary cap and don't have the funds to safely spend up to it, then in theory the CVC money could be used to increase salaries or bring new players in until the cap is reached.

2) sign a high profile high quality overseas player and give them a massive salary - similar to our signings of Kurtley Beale, Charles Piutau
however, you can only have one of those.

3) If a club has an outstanding talent in their squad that they wish to retain, they could pay them significantly more than they're currently getting and make them their non-overseas marquee player.
This would mean that whoever is currently marquee would come under the cap.
for example, if we assume that Launchbury is currently our marquee player and is earning £400k per year (pure guesswork), then, if we wished to offer Daly £600k to keep him, we could, but Launchbury's salary would then be part of the cap.

Options 1 and 2 aren't sustainable if just using the CVC cash to fund it, and option 3 is a delicate balancing act.
Providing the cap doesn't change over the next couple of years, the CVC cash shouldn't make its way to the players too much

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »
What exactly made anyone think that a cash amount given to each club would be universally spent wisely?

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
What exactly made anyone think that a cash amount given to each club would be universally spent wisely?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
Speaking of cash...Saints just signed Proctor, hell of a signing...special player in his prime.