Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter and the Salary Cap.  (Read 3226 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Exeter and the Salary Cap.
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
Interesting piece on the Beeb re. Cordero leaving Exe. So it looks like they have hit the salary cap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46828945

So when it comes down to it, they let the flair player go.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter and the Salary Cap.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:39 PM »
Exeter have spent upto the cap since promoting into the premiership.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
What's interesting is that they've released him mid season due to salary cap concerns. I'm wondering if they were about to face a similar scenario that Wasps did the previous season. Each club will have a budget and salary plan in place in Sept but it will have a lot of guesswork factored in due to EPS, injury, other  dispensations. I wonder if they've over estimated those dispensations (Nowell being injured and not featurng for Eng and potentially not getting back into the Eng squad) and have had to ship Cordero and Campo off immediately to make sure they don't go over the limit by the time May comes around?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
Cordero will see out this season at Chiefs, moving to Bordeaux in the summer. I think Campo was a different issue, he wanted to play and wasn't getting the chance, he had been injured but I think he was by the time he was fit, he was out of Baxter's thinking. Bear in mind that Chiefs have to accommodate Stuart Hogg from next season. The other thing to bear in mind is that they are hard over about being in the black, so this sort of shuffling makes sense where they are concerned.

PS, we should hang on to Campo, he is beginning to emerge as a very useful player, let's hope the 6N doesn't put paid to that....
It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:34:37 PM »
Assuming Campo was signed for the rest of the season, do his wages have any dispensation, like a medical joker type arrangement?

Though having said that, I assume Wade's salary has become available to cover Campo's?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
We have some salary wriggle room now with Matt Mullan and Ambrose Curtis leaving.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
We have some salary wriggle room now with Matt Mullan and Ambrose Curtis leaving.

Only if they arent being replaced?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »
Yep but who with, I can only think of quality being available in the Southern Hemisphere at this point in the season, and they may be short terms.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
the point is that, assuming even half of the players rumoured to be leaving are, there will be a fairly large chunk of salary cap to be used to replace them. Or even being able to make counter offers to players so they don't leave?

And you never know, Campo wasn't available until he was suddenly available & he's looked pretty decent.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »

Mullan yes, that'll help, but Curtis? I doubt he was on anything significant.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:00 PM »
Agree, but all GP clubs are operating on fine margins where salaries are concerned. It all counts, we have probably freed up salary and employee related costs (insurance, pension, benefits) >£350k (no science just instinct). It is a shame re: MM and an equal shame that a player who looked decent on Youtube never got a go....waste of a salary, particularly when we were left short of cover in that area. I am hoping there will be a great outcome from this, as it seems a little sudden for business as usual.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:37:56 PM by RBB »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
Can't blame Dai for not seeing the future and Wade leaving. Curtis was clearly a gamble, likely a very cheap one, and it didn't pay off, worth a punt perhaps.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
Not blaming Dai at all, Wade was a total surprise and Watson has struggled for both fitness and form...it would have been nice to have a natural winger cover that's all.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
Be interesting to see who's avail come end of year relegation, if Worc or Falcons (hunch) then they have wings I would covet.

I'd take Heem and Sinoti in a heartbeat. Goneva i'd give my right arm for but he's already off.