Always a Wasp

Author Topic: George Worth  (Read 2993 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
George Worth
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
According to TRP we want him to replace Willie. Must admit never crossed my radar. He is under contract but we are prepared to wait.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: George Worth
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
He only signed a senior contract with them last January? To wait a year, and besides which we aren't allowed to talk with him for another year? A bit odd that news.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
Initially I thought I'd read "George North" which made me scratch my head... when I realised it was George Worth.. I scratched my head again? What a bizarre rumour? He struggles to make it into the tigers squad and is hardly a spring chicken

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
Initially I thought I'd read "George North" which made me scratch my head... when I realised it was George Worth.. I scratched my head again? What a bizarre rumour? He struggles to make it into the tigers squad and is hardly a spring chicken

He's 22... I'd class that as fairly spring chickeny...

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:29:34 AM »

This could easily be the same problem that we had when retaining the likes of Holmes, Hepburn, Williams etc etc etc.

Lots of people go on about how players who left our academy are now big names, however, in most cases it's taken a few seasons before they've become premiership players and then again for them to become established.
Given our previous precarious financial situation, we weren't in a position to take the gamble that they would become top players, and also some were probably nervous about staying with us under those circumstances.

While a lot of the talk is about how promoting academy players is the only way to remain sustainable, it's still a major risk, and one which can prove expensive.
The salary cap is a problem for most teams, releasing a young player who may or may not make the grade allows the clubs to either sign someone else, or add a little bit to a couple of existing players salaries when their contracts come up for renewal.
Even a successful academy player is going to want to earn their money if they make it to the top, so eventually, if they're good, they're probably no cheaper than anyone else.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:38:05 AM »
I'd certainly take being 22 again!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
I'd certainly take being 22 again!

Well 35...I did at least have a career and a home by then....at 22 I was an itinerant student, drinking beer and playing sports....on the other hand!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »

My mistake.. I thought I read somewhere he was 28.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »

My mistake.. I thought I read somewhere he was 28.

Ah, yeah, I'd have thought the same if he was 28!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
Toomaga-Allen is 28.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »
That could be where the confusion came from.

I'm going that if all the clubs can get to the salary cap, we'll be back to a position of less silly salaries turning heads that can't be matched.