Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up  (Read 3658 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »
15 Rob Miller (93)

14 Josh Bassett (93)

13 Michele Campagnaro (5)

12 Gaby Lovobalavu (23)

11 Elliot Daly (187)

10 Lima Sopoaga (16)

9 Dan Robson (94)

1 Zurabi Zhvania (15)

2 Tom Cruse (51)

3 Jake Cooper-Woolley (123)

4 Joe Launchbury (c) (134)

5 Will Rowlands (65)

6 Brad Shields (9)

7 Nizaam Carr (25)

8 Nathan Hughes (118)

Replacements

16 Ashley Johnson (175)

17 Ben Harris (36)

18 Will Stuart (24)

19 Charlie Matthews (9)

20 Ben Morris (10)

21 Craig Hampson (26)

22 Billy Searle (10)

23 Marcus Watson (18)

Elliot Daly is restored to the starting line-up for Wasps’ final Heineken Champions Cup clash of the season with Leinster Rugby at Ricoh Arena on Sunday (kick-off 3.15pm).

Daly returns after a compulsory week off due to his involvement in England’s Autumn Internationals, while Gaby Lovobalavu is handed his first Wasps start since November in place of Juan de Jongh (shoulder).

Recent Wales call-up Thomas Young is also out with a shoulder knock and is replaced by Nizaam Carr, with Jake Cooper-Woolley swapping with Will Stuart at tighthead in the starting 15.

Back row Ben Morris is back in the squad amongst the replacements, as is winger Marcus Watson, who could make his first appearance in the Black and Gold since November after suffering an ankle injury.

Ashley Johnson also returns from an abdominal injury to be named on the bench.

The clash will be Wasps’ last in this season’s tournament while their opponents and reigning champions Leinster will be aiming to finish on top of Pool 1 to secure a home quarter-final.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “It’s certainly a tough prospect, facing what is effectively the Irish national team just before the Six Nations. They’ll all be vying to impress to earn the green jersey in the coming weeks and they’ll want to do the job for Leinster.

“We need to make sure we’re somewhere near our best or else it could be a tough day and we certainly don’t want that at home against any opposition.

“Leinster are a quality team as we’ve seen out there in Dublin. We were in that game for 45 minutes but then they changed gear and we couldn’t live with that. We certainly don’t want a repeat of that.

“You’ve got to keep hold of the ball and you can’t switch off as they’ve got guys that can hurt you from anywhere on the field. You don’t want them getting an early lead and getting momentum as they’re very hard to turn around.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »
And the oppo:

15. Jordan Larmour (32)
14. Adam Byrne (47)
13. Garry Ringrose (59)
12. Robbie Henshaw (31)
11. Dave Kearney (129)
10. Ross Byrne (61)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (64)
1. Jack McGrath (138)
2. Seán Cronin (165)
3. Tadhg Furlong (95)
4. Devin Toner (226)
5. James Ryan (25)
6. Rhys Ruddock (154) CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier (70)
8. Jack Conan (84)

16. James Tracy (82)
17. Cian Healy (201)
18. Andrew Porter (44)
19. Scott Fardy (34)
20. Seán O’Brien (121)
21. Hugh O’Sullvan (6)
22. Noel Reid (112)
23. Rory O’Loughlin (53)

The Leinster Rugby team. as sponsored by Bank of Ireland, to face Wasps on Sunday in Round 6 of the Heineken Champions Cup has been named by Head Coach Leo Cullen (Kick Off: 3.15pm – live on BT Sport & RTÉ Sport).

Cullen keeps faith with the same back three that scored two tries between them in the win over Toulouse last weekend with Jordan Larmour at full back and Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney on the wings.

Robbie Henshaw returns from a hamstring injury to take his place in the centre alongside Garry Ringrose. It’s the Westmeath man’s first game since late October for Leinster.

At half back Jamison Gibson-Park comes in to partner Ross Byrne.

In the pack Jack McGrath comes into the front row alongside Seán Cronin and Tadhg Furlong and there is a change in the second row too with Devin Toner taking his place alongside James Ryan having recovered from an ankle injury.

There is no change from last week in the back row with Rhys Ruddock again leading the side from blindside flanker.

On the bench Seán O’Brien is also returning from injury and is in line for his first Leinster game since October.

Also on the bench Leinster Academy scrumhalf Hugh O’Sullivan is in line to make his European debut. The Meath man is in his second year in the Academy and only turns 21 next month.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm pleased we've picked pretty much the best team available. Least it means I can watch the game from in front of the sofa

That said, I do hope we look like we have a plan, any sort of plan, because if we play like vs Bath, I will need a stiff drink or five...

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »
I assume JDJ and Rosco are being rested?

Gaby is being thrown a lifeline perhaps, to convince Dai he may be retained, his options look limited when Gopps returns and Fekitoa rocks up. WLR has a neck injury I believe. The forwards look pretty solid to me.

I am hoping Watson comes on and turns the game, he needs to put in a shift as we need a winger with some guile post Wade. And finally Josh makes a step, as Leinster will undoubtedly play as physically as they always do and out-muscling them is not an option.

All in all, for a dead rubber this is a good team, which on home turf may do a job and narrow the losing gap. I hate being negative put can't see a win here, no matter how hard I look.
It was fine when I left it.....

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
Hi RBB - I agree with all that

All I want is evidence of cohesion

On other website (newspapers) I just get asked all the time "what the hell's up with Wasps?" and tbh, I just don't know. I'd just like to see the team being greater than the sum (or equal..) of the very decent parts. Any international team would be happy with our back row and yet somehow we keep looking a bit lost.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »
I think we need to be erm realistic about Gopps he's 36 in June. And it's really hard to maintain vo2 max to compete with  25 year olds even without injury for 12 months. I would love to see him play a few games before he takes up a back room role with us.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »

The squad post says that jdj is injured

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
It's worth bearing in mind Gaby can and has played on the wing for us. Despite his massive drop in form I'd still want him in preference to Watson, at least he looks like he is trying...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
I do like Gaby but feel he is a little one dimensional and is worked out very early by the opposition. NB, he will be 34 in the summer, so perhaps another player that could do a job but be used sparingly but instinct tells me this will be his last season with us. I sometimes feel like a Watson basher but apart from a very fleeting glimpse of true exciting talent, example being the try when Austin Healey proclaimed 'Beauden Barrett wouldn't be standing there', there has been so little to justify his continued inclusion. For me, he is a 7s player and isn't quite a 15s player. When Wade left, he has his golden opportunity and doesn't appear to have taken it. Admittedly he has been injured, it does feel like he has always been injured. Like I said, this is a game where he could make a difference but again I think it will be his last season with us. It would be great if the fringe players turn up and help drive Wasps forward and up the table for the remainder of the GP season after this game.

Is the JDJ injury something to worry about?
It was fine when I left it.....

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
I think we need to be erm realistic about Gopps he's 36 in June. And it's really hard to maintain vo2 max to compete with  25 year olds even without injury for 12 months. I would love to see him play a few games before he takes up a back room role with us.

I could see Gopps at 15 next year given the role of jumping in at first / second receiver or wider as he sees it, Fekitoa providing a more direct option at 12 and probably jdj at 13.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
I see that Leinster can bring flags! Seems we have a bit of a joker in comms!

⚠️ ATTENTION @leinsterrugby FANS!

🏴 You'll be delighted to know that your flags have passed a late health and safety test and you'll be allowed to bring them into @RicohArena on Sunday 😉

@OLSCRugby https://t.co/zHt5LD2H0p

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Good that "the official" can crack some humour.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
While I can see the reasoning behind Bath's decision regarding flags it was always going to be a PR nightmare.

Nice to see the Wasps team having a bit of banter at their expense.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here