Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Umaga Today  (Read 2641 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Umaga Today
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »
A try, 2 conversions and a penalty.
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Umaga Today
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
You would hope that we are watching him at these matches where he is churning out these scores.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:46:18 PM »
That's one helluva turn around. Did Umaga start?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
If we're looking for potential in the Championship you'd hope he'd be the top of the list.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »
Considering he already ours, then I would hope that Dai plays him next week.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:44:45 AM »
There is a brief match report here, I assume Umaga started, he was again playing 15 and seems to be doing well there, based on his latest outing.

https://www.yorkshirecarnegie.com/news/article/richmond-16-yorkshire-carnegie-22/

His Carnegie stats are here https://www.yorkshirecarnegie.com/player/jacob-ionatana-falefasa-umaga-2734/, an impressive 63 points from 6 appearances. He is mostly playing 15 but has appeared at fly half and inside centre.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Since he started with Carnegie they have lifted themselves from relegation certainty to 10th, some 9 points ahead of Hartpury. They are quickly catching up to London Scottish now, just 3 points behind them. I know that when he went to Carnegie, they said they hoped he could rescue them. He has, in style. The match reports show the team starting to get it together (sound familiar?), but they still have bad spells in the games. It is about belief in the Carnegie squad. Right now they believe they aren't being relegated. I don't see him coming back to us this season. Makes me wonder if his contract is up as well.

With WLR going, will Dai replace him, or offer that slot to Miller with Umaga as backup, or even vice versa? If Umaga does not get a place, I think, if I were him, I would be off. It will be a few months yet before we hear which of the Academy lads get a run into the main squad, and which ones we let go or lose. The pessimist in me says Umaga will be off.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
I really hope he won't be off, I believe the family are based in Kenilworth, so that may be a reason for him to stay. However it is dependent on Dai stepping up and committing to offer Jacob something concrete moving forward. I am going to avoid being pessimistic (thinking positive thoughts), as I think he is a player we should be pulling the stops out to keep at Wasps, he has gained some experience and we need a full back, simple choice IMO. The danger in going to the market could be paying an inflated salary or getting a player who has their GP continuity interrupted by international call-ups (thought I can't really think of a world class full back who would be available, depends on what Kurtley does after the World Cup). We have developed Umaga, therefore have made an investment in him, it would be criminal not to do something positive.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
The family have always been Kenilworth based although Mike (Jacobs dad) is currently head coach for darlington mowden park ladies so fits in with Jacob playing up north at the moment.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
I'm sure I remember reading his family have strong Wasps connections. Not that that helped Loz of course...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »
I don't see him going anywhere... Other than maybe another loan, although I suspect that's unlikely.

It's not normal for us to send our young players on loan to New Zealand. I'm guessing it was something he wanted and which suited the club when the opportunity arose.

It feels like we're already doing good things for him and even if he was in our 1st team squad now, he wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much game time as he is currently