Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT (well sort of) - Rugby United New York  (Read 1959 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
OT (well sort of) - Rugby United New York
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »
Just read this https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/22/sport/rugby-united-new-york-major-league-rugby-spt-intl/index.html , and I can't help thinking if the NFL doesn't work out for Wadey, he might end up here.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: OT (well sort of) - Rugby United New York
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
Just read this https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/22/sport/rugby-united-new-york-major-league-rugby-spt-intl/index.html , and I can't help thinking if the NFL doesn't work out for Wadey, he might end up here.
Depends if he actually fell out of love with the game of course, or just an excuse to bail mid contract. More teams added in 2020 so might become a proper league.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:15:54 PM »
Perhaps, his style of rugby would certainly appeal to US spectators and viewing audiences. I do think that the USA if they can harness club rugby could be a major force in world rugby in 5 to 7  years. The challenge will be getting the club level of the game to grow and bring through homegrown talent, as they are starting to do in MLS now. It is good to see the ethos of the New York club is focused on local talent peppered with more experienced overseas imports. I will watch MLR with interest I think.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:22 PM »
I agree, given the sports drive and the 300 million people, they have the potential. Living in Atlanta I may pop along to the odd match, be great if Wadey rocked up there.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »
As long as they don't bring the American stereotypical arrogance along with them, then fine by me.