Always a Wasp

Author Topic: American football throw  (Read 5306 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: American football throw
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
My first match for Wasps (not first team as you will gather) I had to play at scrum half, as the usual one didn't turn up. Never played there before. Halfway through the first half the hooker came to me and said put it in from the other f*****g side. I hadn't realised about the position of the hooker in the front row.

Oh the delights of coarse rugby. ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
I think I'm going to ask our hooker if he can do a half decent american football throw. Our 2nds team (that I play for), normally have far superior backs (mostly very fast kids), but our pack struggles for physicality. A cheeky 40 yard lineout throw, when we've gone all in, leaving backs vs backs, could be a very interesting strategy. The Barbarians did it once recently, with Luatua throwing in.

Throw to nearly halfway, crashball 12 crashball 12s it, quick recycle to the open side where there should be plenty of room to make hay.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
As soon as the ball (from a lineout) goes over the 15m line then the lineout is over and both sets of backs.. who should be both standing 10m back have an equal chance of getting to the long throw first.

The only time it really works is a when a defending team throws in a few meters out from their oun try line.. as the backs can stand on the try line and not 10m back

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
As soon as the ball (from a lineout) goes over the 15m line then the lineout is over and both sets of backs.. who should be both standing 10m back have an equal chance of getting to the long throw first.

The only time it really works is a when a defending team throws in a few meters out from their oun try line.. as the backs can stand on the try line and not 10m back

Almost, if it's clear the ball is going to clear the 15m, you can start coming up, it doesn't actually have to cross. So the attacking team can move up as soon as the ball is thrown. The surprise factor would also work nicely first time, and perhaps distract for the 2nd time.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
Being even an older school front rower (71), I never threw into the lineout, it was always the winger. In some games that was the only time he touched the ball :D

This made me laugh out loud.....