Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Vellacott on His Way?  (Read 5450 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Vellacott on His Way?
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gloucester-rugby-scrum-half-ben-2461027

So this looks like it will be confirmed, meaning Joe S is almost certainly off, which I am happy with, and it means we won't have to suffer Hampson as a willing but ultimately 'not good enough' stand in. I expect Porter will move up to first apprentice. Too much smoke now for there not to be a fire. Vellacott also scored a cracker at the weekend just gone.

It was fine when I left it.....

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Vellacott on His Way?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
This would be good news! I do hope so.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Brilliant if true, without criticising other signings this would definitely be exciting.

The Robson pathway has shown that we are happy to have a bit of rotation.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
I do like Joe Simpson, however I suspect he has been looking to move for some time as Robbo is streets ahead of him now, I think Ealing and London Irish have been mooted, and also Northampton. I may be wrong.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:58:08 PM »
Would definitely be happy with Vellacott, keeps consistency for our style.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:59:55 PM »
I do like Joe Simpson, however I suspect he has been looking to move for some time as Robbo is streets ahead of him now, I think Ealing and London Irish have been mooted, and also Northampton. I may be wrong.

Just not sure how moving to a Championship outfit helps him? With Robson now being in the England frame surely holding the no. 2 spot to him gets you more top level playing time not less? Not saying I want to keep him, if we can make the switch and save some money then great, just trying to understand why Simmo would want to leave now of all times?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »

Money? Game time and easier rugby? Ealing are chucking about a lot of money I believe.
Just not sure how moving to a Championship outfit helps him? With Robson now being in the England frame surely holding the no. 2 spot to him gets you more top level playing time not less? Not saying I want to keep him, if we can make the switch and save some money then great, just trying to understand why Simmo would want to leave now of all times?

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
So another long-term rumour looks likely to be true. A pity to lose Joe but he seems to be a long way behind Dan.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »
Very happy with this news. Looks an outstanding prospect.

I remember watching Dan in the Eng U20s against Ireland at Adams Park ,where he got MoM and thought the same thing about Dan.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
Harlequins were also mooted as a move for Joe S, I am sure I read that he allegedly wants to return to the London area, which may explain the Ealing link, they are ambitious and paying more than they should be perhaps. This article shows the level of ambition and signings deluge that took place in the summer https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ealings-blockbuster-summer-recruitment-finishes-27-additions/. Though it does say they have at least 4 scrum halves, which is a lot to compete with. I do think he could do a job for a GP outfit though, with Quins and London Irish being more believable. Quins would be as understudy to Danny Care, however that may have been when Care was cemented in the England set up and they needed experienced cover, which is less than certain now.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 07:16:40 PM »
I've often speculated that Joe Simpson is on a bigger salary than you may expect given he stayed with us through all the bad times and the move

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me, especially if it was 3 years ago when he and Robson were still tussling for the shirt a bit.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
I expect Vellacott will be cheaper and getting a pay hike from where he is now? So to an extent it will be double bubble for us, less cost maybe and a great emerging talent.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
I expect Vellacott will be cheaper and getting a pay hike from where he is now? So to an extent it will be double bubble for us, less cost maybe and a great emerging talent.

Lets hope so. I have seen a couple of SH's i like the look of recently, Uren from Bristol looks nice and Glasgow have Tomos who looks a very tidy player.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
This would be a very promising signing indeed.