Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Launchbury off?  (Read 10889 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Launchbury off?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
Didn't Sale offer Launch big bucks before he re-signed for us last year?

This +1.

This has been done already and it seems any news out there is wasps news these days.

Given they have just signed up 850k on 2 props, JCW and Klitsoff, yes, 850k, with a hooker apparently to come, i'm not sure they'd have the funds for this considering the other players on their books.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
The drop through of the training ground at Higgs may have annoyed a number of players, even with the news of Leam going forwards.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
This looks like a rehash of the Ruck rumour re: Launch and Sale from a couple of years ago. Sometimes it is a bit of agent/journo mischief. The unhappy with Hughes and Le Roux leaving, plus uncertainty around Daly just looks like supposition and truth economics to me, I for one doubt the provenance of this article.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/joe-launchbury-linked-unexpected-move-away-wasps/

It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
Agents would be using a rumour to increase salary if a player was near to the end of their contract and in negotiating talks  .. i.e.6 months before the end of their contract.

In all the rumours we've heard about Daly there's been no mention of what he's potentially on now and what he's potentilly being offered... the launchers rumour is different in nature

One possibility we're not considering is that Launchers didn't sign a new contract last season but simply a 1 yr contract extension of his previous contract, so all the terms would have been the same as the one he signed 4 or 5 yrs ago, so that being the case he may well be on £270k (don't forget he'll have other income steams so he won't exactly be on the breadline)

He may have signed  a 1 yr extension to see if Wasps could sort out their training facility and to see how the squad developed.. and Wasps may have had no other option than to allow a 1 yr extension to try and win Joe over to stay and sign a much longer contract at the end of this season.

Just playing devils advocate

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 03:34:34 PM »
Must be an early 1 April piece of fake news.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 04:00:04 PM »
I’d be amazed if Launch did go.  But, there were also vague rumours of him having approached Rob Baxter this season about potential long making a move to Chiefs which perhaps means there’s more to this than we’d like to think.

Seperate to this, I thought Launchbury was down as one of our Marquee players so almost certainly on more than £270k - see http://punditarena.com/rugby/adrumm/the-premierships-highest-earners-have-been-revealed/ - back in 2015 reckons he was on £300k before his most recent deal(s). 

Seems pretty accurate based on other anecdotal stories (i.e. Manu, Picamoles and John Afoa all previously being widely cited as the leagues highest earners).

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 04:01:09 PM »
Smells a bit Spaghetti tree to me.

Launch is probably the mvp at the club or close to it. We would not have splashed 500k on Lima if Joe was on a tad over half that.
No club is that stupid.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
And if you recall Pat Lam was lining up Jonathan Joseph to join Bristol https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/bristol-bears-linked-move-british-1995158, he signed a new deal with Bath today.

I agree with earlier comments ref: Sale and the cap. If you look at their recruitment policy, the 3 backs they have recently acquired Solomona, Yarde and Ashton won't be cheap, nor will the deluge of South Africans they have on their books. Faf de Klerk will also cost a bit, I would have thought.

I think if Launch leaves it will be for one of the current 'big two' and I don't see that happening near term.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:26:10 PM by RBB »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 05:20:24 PM »
This article:

https://intheloose.com/2019/01/24/joe-launchbury-sale-move-gathering-pace/

Says he has been seen having a tour of their training ground facilities.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »
Yes but by who and when exactly? If it looks like bullshit and it smells like bullshit then bullshit it probably is.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
And there is this quote, he is in Portugal isn't he, the England squad went out there yesterday? And they nicked the picture from Joe's Instagram, his salary has also gone down to £250k from £270k. I would suggest this is an embellished syndication of the aged Ruck article.

Joe Baker
'Isn't he in Portugal with the England squad...'

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
Joe played for us on Sunday. On Wednesday he flew out. From where? Not Coventry that's for sure. Birmingham, Manchester, London? He probably had Sunday evening, Monday, Tuesday free. How long does it take to tour around a training facility?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »
Written by who, Slot, Shaw...ah no, some nebulous online writer..yeah right.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
I call bullshit too

If you have a 40 man squad, that's £175k per player before any home grown or England elite squad credits.

If we assume, as we're often told, that we're bang on the salary cap (and the recent fine for minor breach would confirm that we were), then I just don't see that Launchbury is on £275k per year.

He's club captain, he's a regular England international, he's our "crown jewels" (Dai's words). He will be our highest paid player, or very close to it.
The only recent players who should be in that discussion, without being an overseas marquee, would be Haskell, Daly, Hughes and maybe WlR.

If our highest paid players over the last season or 2 are on ~£300k, and if we're hitting the cap, then that means the entire rest of the squad will be on about £150k each....... Which seems very high.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
Joe played for us on Sunday. On Wednesday he flew out. From where? Not Coventry that's for sure. Birmingham, Manchester, London? He probably had Sunday evening, Monday, Tuesday free. How long does it take to tour around a training facility?
I just don’t see Joe doing something like that or being so foolish. Also I believe he and his wife , who is the blogger Mallory Bourn are southerners, currently residing near Stratford on Avon.