Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Current Squad and Movement  (Read 8377 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Current Squad and Movement
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
By my quick calculation, that only leaves us with currently 25/26 fit players to cover the VI nations period. Dangerously low IMHO.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
I find the academy list interesting, a few great names in there. It seems like Wasps are quietly building a very strong academy.  Wouldn't it be great if Umaga and Sirker turned out to be the world class replacements for WLR/Beale and Wade.

Umaga based on current form and experience would be a nailed on contender to join the senior squad. I don't know enough about Sirker and his form to comment, I would hope that he is good enough. Our attack has been blunt this season, when historically it has been our greatest weapon, it needs a lift and 14/15 are key in making that happen.

I would also like to see Campo offered a longer deal, he started slowly but is a tough competitor and makes the hard yards. Ugo Monye was singing his praises recently on Rugby Tonight, I would hate to see him finish the season with us, only to be signed by another club either GP or elsewhere for next season. Centres are a puzzling one for next season, we will have Fekitoa, Gopps, JDJ, Neal, Campo (perhaps) and Gaby as first team members for 12 and 13, I am assuming ED is off to the world class facilities at Saracens ;-).

I would retain all as part of the first team set-up, with the exception of Gaby, who isn't fit enough for long enough, is a sporadic quality player and ultimately makes too many errors in vital parts of an attacking play.
It was fine when I left it.....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 07:58:01 AM »
Not sure that JdJ and Gaby will be with us next season.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 08:00:59 AM »
They are great friends I believe, Gaby is almost certainly off. I really like JdJ, so would work hard to keep him, however France and back home in SA may appeal more.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »

I've been trying to find it, but I'm sure that when we announced Fekitoa, JdJ commented with something along the lines of "looking forward to playing with this guy next year"

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 09:07:46 AM »
He is in Paris at the moment, I follow him on Instagram, looks like holiday though.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:19 AM »

I've been trying to find it, but I'm sure that when we announced Fekitoa, JdJ commented with something along the lines of "looking forward to playing with this guy next year"

He did. But on Twitter he commented that he had some hard decisions to make about next year. I think he has better offers, but wants to stay at Wasps. I doubt Gaby has an offer from Wasps, so he will be off, but we will only know when he signs with another team.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »
If ED is effectively replaced by Fekitoa, and JdJ goes with Gaby, surely it leaves us short if Michele goes too, even if we add one from the academy? Esp as Jimmy is getting on.

Of course signing to notch from SA and Aus is going to leave as many potential gaps in Autumn as Michele would if they get selected for their national teams in years with AIs,although SH players are available in Feb. I guess that is why Dai has been looking at ABs with their rigid non selection of overseas policy?

That said France are upping their home grown requirements, meaning perhaps more SH players will become available aa fewer slots will be there for them to fill.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »
I'm guessing a lot of Sanzaar players who don't think they will play a part in the WC will be looking for potentially lucrative 2 yr deals in the NH.

EPL clubs still have to abide by the EQP rule though

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
I just realised I forgot Michael Le Bourgeois in the centres.

Jac A

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
I though with all the recent movement and rumours I’d have a look at where we are with players for next season.

Key – new signing, rumoured signing, (rumoured away)

LH – McIntyre, Zhvania, Harris B, West

Hooker – Taylor, Cruse, Johnson, (Harris TJ)

TH – Brookes, Toomuga-Allen, Owlett, Daniels, Alo

2nd Row – Launchbury, Gaskell, Rowlands, Matthews, Garrett, (Myall), Fardy

Back-row – Young, Shields, Willis J, Carr, Rieder, Morris, Atkinson, Vailanu

Scrum-Half – Robson, Vellacott, (Hampson), Homer

Fly-Half – Sopoaga, Searle

Centre – De Jong, Gopperth, Le Bourgeois, Fekitoa, (Lovobalvu), Clarke

Back-Three – Bassett, Miller, Neal, Minozzi, (Watson), Naholo, Worth, Moyle

Potential academy promotions:
Oghre (hooker)
Willis T (Back-Row)
Porter (Scrum-half)
Umaga (10/12/15)

Looking at that, if at least one of the rumoured tightheads comes in and Gaby gets promoted to the first team then that gives us good front-row resilience (4 in each position). I’d be very happy with Fardy for Myall in the row and I think the backrow looks very good, if Tom Willis comes up we have three full backrows which is plenty with good variety and versatility.

For the backs, I think we need four scrum-halves as Dan will hopefully be away with England so Homer coming in and Porter coming up would be good. Jacob and Jimmy provide back up at 10 so that’s fine. I think we do need another centre and I would be very happy of we did get Clarke from Bath: he young, English, can play 12 or 13 and has always looked good when given a chance. I still think we need a top winger, I think Naholo has probably signed for Irish so that’s gone. Random thought is Nehe Milner-Skudder (I know he signed for Toulon but there was a RugbyInsideLine rumour about a signed contract that wasn’t going to be honoured – some thought it might be JCW or similar – when the Savea situation broke, someone asked RIL if this was the broken contract and he said ‘no, but close’, made me think Savea may have told his ‘Canes buddy not to go there as it’s toxic - like I said, random thought). Also if Watson goes I think we need another ok winger (Charlie Walker would be good).

TheTameWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
If ED is effectively replaced by Fekitoa, and JdJ goes with Gaby, surely it leaves us short if Michele goes too, even if we add one from the academy? Esp as Jimmy is getting on.

Of course signing to notch from SA and Aus is going to leave as many potential gaps in Autumn as Michele would if they get selected for their national teams in years with AIs,although SH players are available in Feb. I guess that is why Dai has been looking at ABs with their rigid non selection of overseas policy?

That said France are upping their home grown requirements, meaning perhaps more SH players will become available aa fewer slots will be there for them to fill.

JdJ signed a new contract only days ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47173669

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
Interesting point about Charlie Walker, don’t know if he’s been injured but I’ve always found him to be v impressive- probably the closest player in the prem to Wade in terms of style and raw pace. Would not be disappointed at all.

Think Jim Hamilton said Wasps still had one huge deal to announce but it was very very secret- looking at like for like players only Wade hasn’t been replaced and NMS would fit the bill.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
I detect horse play, i cant see Jim having any rumour that Goode wouldn't have..

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
NMS would be crazy money IMO, he will probably get a rival French offer if the Toulon move collapses.