Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thomas Young Not in the Wales 23 to Face France.  (Read 1829 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Thomas Young Not in the Wales 23 to Face France.
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Northampton), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

That is a more than capable back row!

There are 4 players based outside Wales in that 23. I am afraid I am not clued up on Welsh selection policy.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Young Not in the Wales 23 to Face France.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
Sad but understandable given the players available.  Would have hoped for a bench place though. Wonder if he is part of the 31 travelling for the next game.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »
Not completely unexpected. Wales have an embarrassment of riches in the back row even with Ellis Jenkins out. I suspect Thomas might make the 23 next week for the game in Rome.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Northampton), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

That is a more than capable back row!

There are 4 players based outside Wales in that 23. I am afraid I am not clued up on Welsh selection policy.

The WRU policy is that if you're based outside of Wales then you can be selected if you have more than 60 caps (maybe 50.. not sure)... or.. and this is the important caveat.. the player signed for the club they currently play for (i.e. in France or England) before this selection policy was announced.

So if a player doesn't have 50 - 60 caps but has been selected.. then that player has a difficult decision to make when it comes to re-signing a contract with their EPL club.. i.e. Adams.

Rhys Webb started his contract with Toulon just after the WRU made this policy statement so can't be selected.

He could of course buy himself out of his contract, play for a Welsh region and make himself available for the WC

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:40:00 PM »
We know how good TY is but there is hard competition for the Wales back row. Jenkins & James Davies injured and I think Dan Lydiate too.
Did I read that Francischas extended his contract at Exeter rather than re-resigned.  Has got him around the contract issue?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
It will be hard for YY to break in as a first pick, as the WRU and the 4 provincial Welsh sides get Gatland's ear more than GP clubs and the associated DoRs. Therefore Wales based players are front of mind and get more exposure. At least YY will be rested, he has worked his backside off for Wasps thus far this season.

There is a lot of talk about the strength in depth of the Welsh and Irish national sides, I do prefer the GP format but don't always think it works well in support of the national team, however it isn't set up to, so it is understandable. I for one would not favour an English provincial model (as has been mooted by some observers), that would be awful.

It was fine when I left it.....