Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Training Facility Article  (Read 5216 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Training Facility Article
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
The almost constant fuss about the training facilities at Wasps has been bugging me for a while, so I have written my thoughts down in an attempt to be objective.

http://onceawasp.com/wasps-training-facility/

What do you think? 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Training Facility Article
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:17:44 AM »
Fair, but the criticisms have probably goaded or prodded Wasps to try to make sure that what they plan to build will be class leading.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:22:09 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »
Fair, bu the criticisms have probably goaded or prodded Wasps to try to make sure that what they plan to build will be class leading.
I don't really think they ever had any intention of building something that wasn't as good as it could possibly be.  But this may have helped reinforce that.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
No the plans I saw at Marlow were superb so I think the intention has always been a superb facility when and where it was built.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »
I think international players will have a different perspective on training facilities as they will see the top end. Hask's comments may have been taken out of context as he tends to open mouth before engaging brain and if his BBC Breakfast interview is anything to go on then he was referring to the facilities at Acton. From the various online photos and videos the facilities don't look bad at all and I' m sure Wasps have pumped money into Broadstreet but would have been mindful of not investing too much as they knew they were short term tenants.

In the 2nd part of my rugby career I played for a local club and we played against Coventry teams where we'd have to get changed in shipping containers.. it didn't affect what happened on the pitch.

My feeling is Daly is simply using a sub-clause to get out of his contract (for whatever reason) and as VV has said.. it hasn't affected his ability to become an international.

A Sarries poster on the DW site pointed out that Wasps shouldn't have allowed such a clause. He's probably correct but we don't know the reason behind Daly wanting that clause and Wasps allowing it.

I take a lot of heart from Matthews comment although a bit like Hask mouthing off (who left the club), Matthews has joined the club so isn't going to say anything negative but at least he was willing to poke his head above the parrapet.

I'm resigned to Daly leaving but I hope he stays professional and does his best for the club and wish him well for the future.

The plans for the new site look good and OL's have agreed to it. The location could  not be any more perfect for the players. The next stage is planning consent but I've not heard anything about that at the moment. If only I knew someone in the planning dept..

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
Excellent article, though who is the fly half you refused to mention? Someone well known?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:18:50 PM »
Excellent article, though who is the fly half you refused to mention? Someone well known?

Shhhhhhhh. Don't say his name out loud or a replacement who clearly isn't as good will appear!

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
My first post, just thought I'd share my sons experience at a Thai kick boxing training facility (in Thailand). It looked like a cow shed, dirt floor, walls stopped 1 metre from the floor (air con?), not enough punch bags so some old car tyres hung from ropes, the toilet facilities best not talked about and they kept their WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BELTS in a cupboard where they kept their mopeds. these were kick boxing and m of q boxing belts. Those guys would give their right arm for the facilities ED has, evenso   they were still WORLD CHAMPIONS.     

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Dusty Hare.. or was he a 15?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:18:31 PM »
There must of been, or even still is, an issue at the root of this. Its not all sour grapes from players that didn't get their contracts renewed. Equally its clearly not as bad as some have painted.
I'd love to know what is actually perceived to be wrong with the facilities?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 11:09:32 PM »
The whole squad signed a letter drafted by Haskell in 2016/7.

The info that I got from the father of one of our former players, was that the players were very unhappy with the state of the training facilities at Broadstreet.

There may well have been a carry over from the bright flashy announcement of world class stuff when the move to Coventry was announced. I think also coincided with the squad move from Acton.

They were unhappy with the communications (or rather lack of) coming down the chain.

They were also unhappy about the lack of provision for wives/partners/family at the home matches. The focus was very much on corporate ££££.

There was also comments about the food or lack of, but that I find hard to believe, given how good Abi is.

The camp was not a happy place then and whilst there are still issues, I feel that we are moving forward. Positive news on the planning application being submitted and a time frame or completion would help put this particular issue to bed.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Hmmmm, Haskell, this is very telling https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/status/1091130954259812353 ,and clearly Saints fans are seeing him for what he is, a media spotlight professional where rugby is perhaps now a hobby, and when he does play it is underwhelming. As he professes not to read what is written about him, then he will never know what people are thinking or saying.
It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
Thanks Heathen, but when you say "the players were very unhappy with the state of the training facilities at Broadstreet" do you know what they thought was actually wrong with the facilities?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
Inferior to Acton was the story. I don't know what they shipped up from Acton.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »
They were also unhappy about the lack of provision for wives/partners/family at the home matches. The focus was very much on corporate ££££.

There was also comments about the food or lack of, but that I find hard to believe, given how good Abi is.

Hi John, I got to visit the players lounge after a game at the start of last season and it seemed perfectly nice to me.  I'm not sure what other clubs provide, but it was private, spacious, clean and well presented, lots of food that certainly looked good to me. Interestingly the one thing that wasn't there was James Haskell...

I'm not really sure what else they should be providing for players' friends and family at games.