Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ben Vellacott signs  (Read 4439 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ben Vellacott signs
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
Since getting Dan, we've relied on the scrum half more and more to drive the pace of the game, snapping at the edges, passing to the forward runners, even if they are light on support, just to keep the pace high. Joe tends to prefer the forwards in the right places, and correctly supported, before continuing the phases.  Different approaches that'll bring success to different teams.

I hope he finds some of his old form, and gets ahead of Heinz.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »
Since getting Dan, we've relied on the scrum half more and more to drive the pace of the game, snapping at the edges, passing to the forward runners, even if they are light on support, just to keep the pace high. Joe tends to prefer the forwards in the right places, and correctly supported, before continuing the phases.  Different approaches that'll bring success to different teams.

I hope he finds some of his old form, and gets ahead of Heinz.
You are absolutely right, but I don't remember him being that way before we signed Dan. It's almost like he was trying to do what he'd been told by International coaches, while Dan was ignoring their advice and just doing what he does better than anyone else.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
Let's just hope Dan comes back unchanged!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 08:20:57 PM »
Vellacott is a cracking addition. Would have loved Joe to stick around but he would be seriously down on game time at what is coming into the twighlight of his career. It would also be a decent wedge to spend on a possible third choice scrum half and with the salary cap you need to be pretty careful to make it go as far as possible.  Haskell was a similar example of a player who I would have loved to have stayed around but who we couldn't promise enough game time or warrant the salary use.

It is a shame that long term club servants over 30 don't get excluded from the cap, mind you it is already complex enough to manage/officiate.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »
Simpson was slowing down even before Dan joined i think. Heading down a similar route as his nemesis, Dickson, in spending more time preparing and complaining. Hopefully he gets his flare back.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
Proper Club Legend.

Definitely a move made in good faith and I believe that both Glos and ourselves feel like we’ve both got a good deal. They wanted an experienced understudy/challenger for the first choice 9 who already has a good relationship with Cips; we wanted a younger player in the mould of our current 9 who could carry on our game plan when Dan is away with England.

Joe gets more game time, Ben gets a chance to play for a team that may suit his style more. Glos wanted experience and got it, we wanted potential and got it. Everyone’s happy.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 11:09:35 PM »

Does anyone think it would be ok if we were in the second tier of Euro Comp next season? Could be a useful "starter for 10"?

No, frankly. If we want to attract more Vellacotts then top tier Euro is where it is at.
SH players won't care as much, money talks when you up sticks and move, but for people wanting an international slot I think playing top table rugby is the way to catch the eye. Those euro games get noticed in a way the second tier does not. The launchpad we had in the Parker Pen is a long way from today's tier two. Just as the Powergen status has diminished from a full house at HQ to what it is today, so has the second tier. A shame, but it is what it is, and if Wasps want to attract top young prospects, playing at the top is important.