Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The salary cap  (Read 6795 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The salary cap
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »
Maybe the new challenge Daly spoke of is living off £50k a year like the rest of the Sarries squad clearly do?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »
I would expect most players in main senior squads would have their own personal Ltd company which payments are paid into so it would be up to the player and their acountant to sort the tex out.

I doubt PRL have any right to view players bank accountants, they presumably can only inspect the clubs finances.

Players will receive money from a number or sources so it would be very easy for a player to receive additional salary from someone else other than the club (directly from sponsors or even from a company owned by a rich owner).

HMRC wouldn't care where the money came from as long as tax was paid on the income and PRL would be none the wiser.

All fair

My comment was rather tongue in cheek...re the tax authorities

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
So we're saying that Saracens have found a way to pay a large number of their players more than they should, and hide it from the rugby authorities.

As has been said, providing the player pays the correct tax, the proper authorities won't care, and the rugby authorities likely won't know.

However, with this level of blatant disregard for the rules, the club will be held to ransom by their players.

If they are paying Jamie George an additional £100k per year through some hidden process, then the club essentially have to offer him everything he wants for fear of him blowing the whistle on them.

Maybe that can be controlled if it's one or 2 players, but I don't believe it is for a whole squad.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »
So we're saying that Saracens have found a way to pay a large number of their players more than they should, and hide it from the rugby authorities.

As has been said, providing the player pays the correct tax, the proper authorities won't care, and the rugby authorities likely won't know.

However, with this level of blatant disregard for the rules, the club will be held to ransom by their players.

If they are paying Jamie George an additional £100k per year through some hidden process, then the club essentially have to offer him everything he wants for fear of him blowing the whistle on them.

Maybe that can be controlled if it's one or 2 players, but I don't believe it is for a whole squad.

Would the 40+ players in the squad all tell each other what their wages are? Why would any of them want to ruin a good thing, even after they leave, they probably don't want to drop their mates in it.  And once you've done it for a few key players, the rest wouldn't need to have any off the books activities anyway.  Could you imagine Brad Barritt dropping them in it? Wigglesworth?

Sarries hid it for quite a while before, then threatened legal action to avoid any punishment, I can't see why they'd not be willing to do it again.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
I know most of us are bored talking about Saracens and the salary cap, but I really want to believe that there's nothing really terrible going on here.
I can accept the odd accounting mishap that might see a club go £100k over the cap - even if it wasn't really a mishap.
But, if a club is spending a million or more over the cap, that would hurt.

So, with that in mind, I wanted to try to see what kind of salaries the Saracens players would be on to fit in the cap, and for the purposes of this, I'm assuming they receive full home grown credits of £600k per year, and also receive an additional £600k for international players
It's now a game of fantasy rugby, with £7.6m to spend.

From what I've read, academy players (essentially those earning under £30k per year) are excluded from the cap, so this is for the senior squad only

Mako Vunipola      £450k   
   Richard Barrington      £150k   
   Hayden Thompson-Stringer      £50k   
   Billy Walker      £50k   

Jamie George      £300k   
   Christopher Tolofua      £150k   
   Tom Woolstencroft      £150k   
   Scott Spurling      £50k   

Vincent Koch      £450k   
   Juan Figallo      £300k   
   Titi Lamositele      £100k   

Maro Itoje      £500k   
   George Kruis      £300k   
   Will Skelton      £250k   
   Nick Isiekwe      £100k   
   Dominic Day      £75k   

Billy Vunipola        £500k   
   Schalk Burger (Marquee)      £600k   
   Jackson Wray      £250k   
   Ben Earl      £100k   
   Calum Clark      £100k   
   Sione Vailanu      £50k   
   Michael Rhodes      £150k   
   Joel Conlon      £50k   

Richard Wigglesworth      £250k   
   Ben Spencer      £125k   
   Henry Taylor      £50k   
   Tom Whiteley      £50k   

Owen Farrell (Marquee)      £750k   
   Max Malins      £100k   

Alex Lozowski      £250k   
   Brad Barritt      £300k   
   Marcelo Bosch      £250k   
   Nick Tompkins      £150k   
   Viliami Hakalo      £100k   
   Tom Griffiths      £50k   

David Strettle      £200k   
   Alex Goode      £250k   
   Liam Williams      £300k   
   Sean Maitland      £200k   
   Alex Lewington      £125k   
   Rotimi Segun      £50k   
   Duncan Taylor      £125k   
   Matt Gallagher      £50k   

This totals up to exactly £7.6m
I'm sure everyone will disagree with most or all of the figures, and that's fair enough because I've just made them up on the spot.
I have no idea if the wider squad players really earn £50k per year, or if it's more than that.

but it suggests that it is possible to fit their current squad into the cap and still pay their top players pretty significant sums.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
Itoge was rumoured to have re-signed for £750-1000k. Would suggest Farrell in the same bracket.
If you think how many contracts some have been through I would suggest many longer term players have had a number of increases so you figured are on the low side. Good effort within the parameters you set though.
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
Itoge was rumoured to have re-signed for £750-1000k. Would suggest Farrell in the same bracket.
If you think how many contracts some have been through I would suggest many longer term players have had a number of increases so you figured are on the low side. Good effort within the parameters you set though.

I definitely agree it's possible.
I was doing figures for this season - itoje's new contract won't start until next season, and Farrell's salary for this season is irrelevant if he's marquee.

I agree that all the players that have been there a long time will have had new contracts and probably raises, but given that the cap has been raised by about £2m over the last 4 years or so, I suspect this increases were very modest £10-25k here or there.

It's only when there's big jumps in the cap that I think some players get big raises.

The challenge will be to use the figures I've posted and work out how to give Itoje his new contract, re-sign a load of other players and bring Daly in

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
Agree that it’s possible but instinct tells me it is improbable, though there a few departures as offsets for next season. I think they will have to release further players to ensure compliance, it will be interesting to see who?
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »

The interesting bit is that I expect they'll make another high profile overseas signing and it'll all kick off again.

If we make the assumption that burger is their overseas marquee player at the moment and he is leaving this season, then I think they need to sign another overseas player to be able to use that marquee slot.
I don't think they'll be able to make Koch the marquee if it has been burger.
Given that Saracens have money, and if my understanding of the overseas marquee is correct, keep your eyes open for some other super mega star