Always a Wasp

Author Topic: I'm in a dark place - Dai  (Read 5760 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I'm in a dark place - Dai
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
Big interview up on Coventry Live a few minutes ago. Very open.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in a dark place - Dai
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Thanks for that, just read it.
Feel for Dai, interesting he seems to say that he has responsibility for some of it, which will make it feel worse.
Couple of Ws might make him feel better,  but long term I feel we need a couple more big signings if Dai is to get us back where we were.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »
He also needs some quality coaches to help him.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »
I must say, I have noticed this season that he is the one who's stuck his neck out in regards to rumours (whether that be players/training ground etc etc). He seems to do more on that front than many of the other DoRs

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
Just read the interview and it's an insightful and sincere appraisal from Dai. You can tell that the results and departures have hurt him personally but he wants to prove the doubters wrong. I don't believe any other DoR in the Premiership would be so open about things.

Wasps aside, I suspect he'll be an extremely proud Dad come 4.45 today when Thomas starts his first 6N game.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:27 AM »
He is a top man doing a difficult job. Loss of key players to injury and unexpected international call up at critical times is not something he can do much about, but it will have affected how Lima and Billy started their time at Wasps and it also lead to shuffling the back line almost every week. Dai doesn't complain about injuries after every game "because it would be disrespectful to the players.." got to admire that. I think he has also been respectful to the players departing and clearly with Wade lost a little more of the magic from the back line. It has all given others a chance to build experience or game time that they otherwise would not have had though and supporting those players has to be good for the future. I have a good feeling about what is being built. From Nelly's post, the under 18's seem to be very good, it has to be a sign that the flow of players through the ranks is strong. Got to admire how Dai is absorbing the pressure and it is clearly weighing heavily. I get a sense from the messages by players like Launchbury and Matthews that Dai has a tank full of respect from his players. Hopefully now we know the bulk of movements that things can really settle and Dai can get back to his happy (but not smiley!) self. He has my support.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »
He is a top man doing a difficult job. Loss of key players to injury and unexpected international call up at critical times is not something he can do much about, but it will have affected how Lima and Billy started their time at Wasps and it also lead to shuffling the back line almost every week. Dai doesn't complain about injuries after every game "because it would be disrespectful to the players.." got to admire that. I think he has also been respectful to the players departing and clearly with Wade lost a little more of the magic from the back line. It has all given others a chance to build experience or game time that they otherwise would not have had though and supporting those players has to be good for the future. I have a good feeling about what is being built. From Nelly's post, the under 18's seem to be very good, it has to be a sign that the flow of players through the ranks is strong. Got to admire how Dai is absorbing the pressure and it is clearly weighing heavily. I get a sense from the messages by players like Launchbury and Matthews that Dai has a tank full of respect from his players. Hopefully now we know the bulk of movements that things can really settle and Dai can get back to his happy (but not smiley!) self. He has my support.

This.
I read it last night before I posted and then again just now and you can almost feel the pain through the article. Bobby Bridge obviously has a bucket load of trust from the management. I hope those above fully appreciate what their DoR goes through  (I suspect most do). I do hope the Dai Out brigade in the other place shut up (nearly swore there)
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »
I  want Dai to stay, I don't want Dai out, but for every few over the top Dai out post there is someone saying Dai knows best as he is a pro and throwing armchair critic insults in the thread, at least until Rob Smith makes a negative comment (such as his pointed ones regarding the Stewart debacle), or Dai himself says  "I/we made a mistake" or someone connected to the club  makes a negative point, such as Edwards' comments on our recruitment.  When Dai acknowledges fault, it then becomes acceptable to mention it, otherwise we are back to armchair critics insults and every criticism being mis read as an attack on Dai, who will, of course make mistakes, because everyone does.

The debate has become toxic, sadly, and there is often nowhere in the middle, whatever gets said people will jump on it. I think Dai has done well, but I also had (and still have) doubts about Lima's style and felt our second row resources needed strengthening last year, even if it meant not recruiting in the back row, if I say either one I know there will be a response defending Dai from someone who will answer as if I am calling for Dai to be sacked, or I will get the classic "you are wrong, I disagree with all your points" followed by zero explanation (which is really annoying if you have made points such as "I think Sarries are better than us at defense" and makes the person making the comment look like a troll, or worse).

On the other side we have the whole blame it on Costello, Dai has lost the dressing room etc. , all repeated ad nauseam. I get that it beyond the realms of annoying and into the arena of trolling, and it infects every thread like a virus, but I feel it is better to engage at least until the insults fly.

Back to Dai. I hope he has a good weekend. No game for us and a proud day for him, something to lighten the gloom. With a couple of good signings we can rebuild next year, and hopefully spread some optimism.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:09:19 AM by westwaleswasp »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
Bobby Bridge endears himself to the fans IMHO. His journalistic approach is very different to what we got from Paul.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
Bobby Bridge endears himself to the fans IMHO. His journalistic approach is very different to what we got from Paul.

Paul did a great job, but I think Bobby Bridge understands more what the fans want or even need to hear.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
Rob Smith (a Welsh friend of mine referred to him as 'old bighead', don't know why) is a bitter man and has never forgiven Dai for this:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/wasps/long-serving-london-wasps-academy-manager-steps-down/

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Rob is an exceptionally shrewd judge of what happens on and off the field.

I would rather that he was still running our academy than what we have now.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »

and yet, from reading DW, someone would be forgiven for believing that our academy is currently producing the best talent in Europe and that all of the youngsters should be playing ahead of our senior 1st teamers.

Rob may or may not like Dai, he may or may not be bitter, and he may or may not be an exceptional academy coach.
It's all largely irrelevant though.

I feel that Wasps have had to deal with, and are still dealing with a number of unique circumstances.
Those circumstances have at times meant that we've let people go that maybe we wouldn't have done otherwise, they've meant that we haven't brought the best available people in, and they've meant that we haven't had the ability to build upon our early successes in Coventry, or to build our new training facilities.
Everyone knows the issues that we've encountered at various times over the years and are still having, so there's no point bring it all up again, but to ignore them means that you'll always be doing Wasps a disservice.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 04:15:23 PM »

Rob clearly has a vast amount of experience, and has had great success.  I have massive respect for him and his opinion.  But I think the game has moved on massively over the last few years, not so much in how it is played, but in how it is organised, how fans interact with the club, and how the "brand" of Wasps is managed.

What Dai did was show a human side by admitting a few things every single one of us already knew. He singlehandedly created a massive groundswell of support where previously there had been nothing but slatings, rumours, and outright calls for his sacking.

Like you John I'd happily put Rob in charge of finding and developing talent, but the idea of putting him in charge of marketing is a different matter altogether,
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here