westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:48 PM »
Would love to see Lima at 12.
Playing off whom at 10?
Therein lies the issue.....
I don't know how good Searle or Umaga can be. But Lima could be an excellent twelve in the Jimmy mould, better even.

Regarding Chiefs, they don't have superstars but they do have a form if rugby that would mean scraping spectators off seats. I don't know if they could replicate that approach with a more expansive style?

Jac A

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 03:42:33 PM »
... if you look at Exeter as an example it is possible with coaching and the right environment. Up until recently I'm struggling to think of a player they signed that was either a SH superstar or international. You can almost go through their whole squad from a few years ago to now and see that most have stepped up in terms of performance to allow them to compete at the top. Steenson, Dollman, whilst not being recognised by national coaches, were key in their development. I believe Slade and Woodburn left Bath with the careers having stalled, the same with Short from Sarries.

I agree in part. A lot of Exeter success seems to have been built on a very good culture and getting everyone to buy into the club and the way they play. But they were very canny in buying quality players just past their international days - Waldrom, Salvi and Paling in particular and blending those with their youngsters and the likes of Dollman, Whitten etc

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 03:49:48 PM »
Dave Dennis and Holmes were both big SH signings, that neither have particularly achieved much, perhaps suggests they were poor signings, but they were big ones.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
And Dean Mumm, Nadolo

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »
Campagnaro was signed after his immense 6N too, albeit not SH.