Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Scott Fardy  (Read 6170 times)

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Fardy
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
I used to be all for the longer-term, strategic approach until George Smith reminded me that a ready to go top pro (or two) can have a profound effect on a team for a season or two. Also longer-term if top habits are taken onboard by the younger players. Don’t know SF well enough to know if he fits the bill but his pedigree looks impressive!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »

Agreed.
If you're good enough, you're old enough is the common saying
but also
If you're good enough, you're young enough.

We know that we're weak at times in the 2nd row.
It's not about being an enforcer going around looking to punch someone, but about someone who doesn't take a step backwards, who makes a yard or 2 in contact, who isn't easily driven off the ball at the breakdown.
Mobility, handling, and slowing the ball down are all very important traits, but when you're a team who are often beaten up by opposition packs, a powerful lock is invaluable.

Joe Launchbury doesn't look like he should be that man, and maybe 'powerful' isn't the first word used to describe his play, but he's way ahead of the rest of our 2nd row options.
Someone like Scott Fardy wouldn't need to play every game. He could play when Joe is away with England, he could be a bench option when Joe is around, or allow Joe to have a rest, while ensuring that we can still compete at the power game.

I just don't see the downside here providing he's not on a million pound per year, and providing he's still able to put in a solid 60+ minutes every time it's required.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
I think Rowlands oscillates between very impressive and mildy ineffective, although I admit no particular understanding of the second row. As a fourth choice lock he is fine, as a third choice in a team with Launch, perhaps less so. When you look at Sarries second row options and ours, it is pretty chastening. I would welcome SF, as long as the price was OK.

Jac A

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
I also noticed that the Booby Bridge article said that Kearnan's contract could be up so if he isn't renewing then Fardy would, as Ross says, be a good lineout addition.

On Will Rowlands, I'm a fan of his and like Raggs I think he's had a great season. He might not make huge yards but he's an indefatigable tackler and doesn't miss many at all (similar to Johnny Gray maybe) our top tackler by far this season. He also our second choice 4 and when you compare him to his comparable peers at other clubs I'd rather have him than most others - Merrick, Savage, Wells, Barrow, even Lees. Saracens are obvious outliers in the 2nd row stakes but that's another matter.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
I also noticed that the Booby Bridge article said that Kearnan's contract could be up so if he isn't renewing then Fardy would, as Ross says, be a good lineout addition.

On Will Rowlands, I'm a fan of his and like Raggs I think he's had a great season. He might not make huge yards but he's an indefatigable tackler and doesn't miss many at all (similar to Johnny Gray maybe) our top tackler by far this season. He also our second choice 4 and when you compare him to his comparable peers at other clubs I'd rather have him than most others - Merrick, Savage, Wells, Barrow, even Lees. Saracens are obvious outliers in the 2nd row stakes but that's another matter.

I've been in two minds about Will. He's not far off being very much better. But the last few feet to the peak seems more difficult than it should be. Only my opinion of course.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
Lets assume Myall is moving onto pastures new that still leaves us with Garratt, Matthews (who has performed really well in the games he's played in - a proper aggressive nuisance at the ruck and maul), Gaskell, Launchers... but Launchers is going to be away more than a usual season so maybe a 1yr deal between Wasps and Fardy helps both parties

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Will is massive as well, at the shop open day he looked about a foot taller than the rest of the team. Despite being big he moves well. Subjectively get the impression he draws defence, but that could be the other eye playing up!

I think Charlie Matthews has improved all season, at times he has seemed to be on a mission. Appreciate that work rate doesn't always equate to effectiveness, but it can't hurt.

Anyone else think things are brewing at the club. I see a lot of value in having a knowledgeable player joining from a successful team like Leinster.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »
Yes, as someone said, Jimny came from there and was a success....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »
I think he would be a good addition to the squad. Unlike above I would give him a two year deal to make him feel wanted. It sounds as if he wants to stay in Ireland but the IRFU are up to their normal tricks of cancelling/not renewing foreign players contracts after getting him over there.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:19 PM »
Fardy, Zhvania, Jimmy, Lima, Fekitoa and Toomaga-Allen (depending on passports of course) might not work very well on the foreign player front

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 07:31:56 AM »
I'm hoping and expecting that Lima and Fekitoa have Pacific island passports given their heritage.
In professional rugby it's a huge bonus to have a passport for a kolpak nation, so I would expect they've both got that sorted. (At the very least their agents would likely insist on it to give them more opportunities)

That still would leave ZZ, Fardy, JTA, and Jimmy, but hopefully that would be manageable given that possibly only JTA would be first choice next season (obviously Jimmy could be too, but I'm expecting us to strengthen at 12 next season)
That being said, with our injury curse, they'll all end up as the last men standing

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
Kills that rumour off then.
Let me tell you something cucumber