Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sione Vailanu  (Read 5423 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Sione Vailanu
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
A rumour that has been kicking around for some time, he is out of contract at the end of the season I believe and according to Wikipedia (see below), so it may stack up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sione_Vailanu

I took a look at his Instagram and he has started following Fekitoa and Wasps, he would provide good cover in the back row, we are quite blessed in that department but losing Hughes is a blow, even if he has become a bit of a penalty magnet. Jim Hamilton for example thinks he is a better player than Hughes.

I suppose it is a 'watch this space'.....
It was fine when I left it.....

Jac A

Re: Sione Vailanu
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
Odd one for me. I haven't seen much of him and from the limited game time he has had at Saracens I wasn't too keen.

In his favour, he's clearly a big lad and a heavy carrier which our backrow will be short on next year. Jim Hamilton clearly rates him. He's still young and I wonder if there could be a sense of lose Billy - ok, we'll bring Nathan Hughes through, loose Nathan - next big Pacific Islander please.

But, if he joins and Tom Willis get promoted (which I'm sure he will) we'll have 10 backrows - quite a lot.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »
I kind of agree but the modern back row is becoming much more of an attacking weapon, as fitness levels and athleticism increase, added depth in the back row is a good thing. However it doesn't cover the fact that our 14 and 15 positions are the biggest gaps at this point in time, that should be the focus for Dai and the leadership, as losing Wade and WLR are issues anyone would be concerned about. Vailanu looks interesting, Hughes has been converted into an immense (if somewhat wayward on occasion) talent, perhaps Dai sees another opportunity.
It was fine when I left it.....

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
I think that without Nate we don’t have that big ball carrier that always breaks the gainline. Also from the past few seasons, despite the volume of back rows we have, we’ve struggled with injuries. Getting a young promising 8 to bed into first team action alongside T Willis, another young promising 8, might take the pressure off them both and also help spread the burden of a tough strength and conditioning programme that will put them at the level Dai wants from his first team squad

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:42:31 PM »

We may have a lot of back rows, but....
Will Alex Rieder make it back to being the player he was?
Will Thomas Young go to Wales?
Will Jack Willis be a little hesitant for a while until he fully recovers (mentally as much as physically)?
Although Tom Willis may step up next season, I really don't expect to see him starting every week. I suspect that he'll be a bit part player during his first season (and rightly so while he continues to mature physically)
Could we be utilising Brad Shields as a back row / lock option (maybe along with Fardy)
Are Atkinson and Morris a better overall option than a player with Vailanu's physical attributes?

The best teams have the best back rows in terms of quality and depth. It's always been that way in my opinion.

In the past, we've sometimes looked a little out of ideas without a power option to turn to (i.e. when Nathan has been away or tweeting)
I like the idea of mobile back rows. The Willis boys, Nizaam Carr, Thomas Young all fit that role and allow us play a fast game.... but sometimes there's no substitute for raw power.

Jac A

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »

We may have a lot of back rows, but....
Will Alex Rieder make it back to being the player he was?
Will Thomas Young go to Wales?
Will Jack Willis be a little hesitant for a while until he fully recovers (mentally as much as physically)?
Although Tom Willis may step up next season, I really don't expect to see him starting every week. I suspect that he'll be a bit part player during his first season (and rightly so while he continues to mature physically)
Could we be utilising Brad Shields as a back row / lock option (maybe along with Fardy)
Are Atkinson and Morris a better overall option than a player with Vailanu's physical attributes?

The best teams have the best back rows in terms of quality and depth. It's always been that way in my opinion.

In the past, we've sometimes looked a little out of ideas without a power option to turn to (i.e. when Nathan has been away or tweeting)
I like the idea of mobile back rows. The Willis boys, Nizaam Carr, Thomas Young all fit that role and allow us play a fast game.... but sometimes there's no substitute for raw power.

I agree with a lot of this. I'm certainly not averse to signing Sione and I do think that we could do with a heavy ball carrier and I'd love us to be able to unlock some of the potential this guy has.

In terms of having a lot of backrows I'm just concious that we want to give the young guys as much as a chance as possible.

This year we've had Alex and Jack being out for the whole season (so far), Nathan missing the whole of October and November and Brad missing quite a few games and even then Joe Atkinson has only got a couple of games and Ben Morris a few. Thomas Young will definatley be here next year, I'd like to think Jack will be at full fitness by next October and I really hope Al Rieder can get his game back as he seems a top bloke.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
Jim Hamilton for example thinks he is a better player than Hughes.

He does caveat that with "if you can keep him fit". I agree there's bags of potential there, but do we really want another injury prone player?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Jim Hamilton for example thinks he is a better player than Hughes.

He does caveat that with "if you can keep him fit". I agree there's bags of potential there, but do we really want another injury prone player?

Does "fit" mean "keep him off the pies", or fit meaning "picking up injuries".. if its the latter then I can't see what coaches can do that about that... unless the former leads to the latter?

BTW.. I didn't know that Jim Hamilton hailed from Cov (I think).. is this why Goode and Hamilton do a podcast together?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
Though born in Swindon,  Hamilton was educated at Coundon Court School in Coventry, and played for Barkers Butts R.F.C,
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
Does "fit" mean "keep him off the pies", or fit meaning "picking up injuries".. if its the latter then I can't see what coaches can do that about that... unless the former leads to the latter?

BTW.. I didn't know that Jim Hamilton hailed from Cov (I think).. is this why Goode and Hamilton do a podcast together?

Pretty sure he means injury free, he's hardly played for Sarries. Obviously coaches can't do that, the "if" it's just implying that it's a question of chance.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 07:32:51 PM »
He said "No pies fit", not injury

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
Think he’s also hardly played because of Billy and Jackson Wray in front of him

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
Think he’s also hardly played because of Billy and Jackson Wray in front of him

Billy's had plenty of injuries and England call ups.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:15 PM »
Wray got many games.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »
The “no pies fit” comment reminds me of the great Trevor Leota. I think we used to provide him with minders to watch what he ate.