Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - Bristol Bears.  (Read 7059 times)

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
Re: Match thread - Bristol Bears.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
Sounds like a bad one. Gutted for Billy, he was doing well. Come on Lima, show us your class and guide us home.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
Rowlands runs one in from his own half!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
Bristol with a wonderful offloading game to score one back. So far their handling has got them two, and cost them two by my reckoning.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
This really is like Wasps of old.  We have completely switched off for the last 20 minutes. 

So frustrating to watch.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
Yes and breathe
Let me tell you something cucumber

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »
Yes! Bonus point win. Backs to the wall at the end there but they all count.

COYWs!
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
Edge of the seat stuff, but 5 points away from home is not to be sniffed at.

Rowlands arguably both our best, and worst player!

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
Big win. In true Wasps fashion done the hard way. Great start to this block of games, 5 more in the bag.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »
Great away win, good to dog out a tough away win, seems a positive camp at the moment, really important to back up at home to sale next week, best wishes to Billy Searle, not sure why i am writing like this, must be the nerves, or the red wine!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
Yeeeeeeeessss!!!!

Well done guys

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 09:57:16 PM »
Every time we see some sort of form there is a shot of bad luck. Billy did brilliantly, can only hope his leg/ankle is not a mess, sounded from the commentary like they had some sort of inflatable support. At least we know it was stabilised well.

It is a rare thing to see Wasps run down the clock, I say see, but B365 stopped about 90 secs from then end, grrr.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »
They certainly did use some inflatable support and took a while before they took him off. Fingers crossed for him.
Last 5 minutes were “interesting” as Robson organised the forwards to keep the all tight - & then we go & give away a penalty in the last 10 ses. Rather typical of Wasps this season.
Defence did seem better for most of the game - but we did let in some silly tries.
Good performances - Robson, Searle, WLR, Bassett, JdeJ, Carr, Cruise ( as always).

Jac A

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 03:16:57 AM »
No amount of painkillers or sleepy tea is helping me sleep so I thought I'd put down a few thoughts.

Firstly, I hope that Billy Searle is able to recover well, here hoping the damage is as little as possible.

Secondly, woo-hoo! 5 points and up to 4th, at the end of the day that's what matters and a bonus point win away after such a lot of negativity is fantastic.

Will Rowlands - aside from the penalty at the end (which he partial redeemed by going through the middle of their maul forcing them to break off and Thomas Young to bring it down legally) I thought he had a good game - 14 carries (more than anyone else), 13 tackles with none missed and 74 metres made (admittedly most of those in the one break) and the try.

Thomas Young - If he does go after next year, what a miss he will be. What a fantastic player - carries, tackles, link play, speed and turnovers. Best 7 playing in the country for me.

The slightly more negative side is what the stats say (sorry this is a bit stats based, I know if doesn't tell the whole story but this is what happens wen you look at ESPN at 3am): in attack, between them, our centres made just 7 passes all game (Bristol's made 24). Despite playing nearly the whole second half, Lima only touched the ball 7 times I think. We played off Dan at 9 so much, I know that quite a bit is down to running the clock down at the end, but Dan made 102 passes, our 10s made 19.

In defence I loved that we were closing down the space but we seemed to leave dog legs and gaps for them to make line breaks almost at will (they made 20 clean breaks) and we missed 23 tackles (WLR missed all 3 tackles with 0 made).

Ultimately though we found a way to win and that is what matters, same again against Sale would be fine by me. The other bonus of playing on Friday of course is the extra two days rest.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 07:00:24 AM »
Reading that Billy dislocated his ankle, which is probably 2 months plus on the sidelines, which has put a dampener on an otherwise great night. I was following on Twitter, which was gripping but atmosphere free. I am happy to take the 5 points, which isn't easy at a place like Ashton Gate on a Friday night, especially with a fierce local crowd. If Dai can work on the last 20 minutes then Wasps can contend for top 4 this season, especially with the return of the England contingent. We will need cover at 10, I won't go into that here as there is another thread. It was pleasing to see all of the tries coming from the forwards, as the backs have been have been lacklustre this season. If we can get the backs firing as well then the second half of the season could be a thriller. Sale will be a tougher test, again a must win.

Almost finally, Bristol's lack of consistency must be a concern for Hughes, he could be joining a team that is in serious danger of going straight back down - probably a thread in it's own right but the expensively assembled squad hasn't really clicked and they are running out of road.

At least Saturday and Sunday will be stress free this week. #COYW!!!
It was fine when I left it.....

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
Can certainly attest to the ferocity of the crowd. Every one of our tackles was high, according to the "gentleman" behind me, whilst we were offside continually. Mysteriously they never seemed to ever pass forward, whilst every second pass we made was.
Last time I had in match commentary like that from the crowd was at Murrayfield, back in Europe, where the drunk Scotsman in front had to be told by his mate what a knock on was.