Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Could we afford Julian Savea?  (Read 8208 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Could we afford Julian Savea?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
I would imagine Toulon would have to pay off his contract, or come to some agreement, so he won't be needing too many pennies. Just looked his wife up. Not sure what all the fuss is about. And she is easy on the eye.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
If we can get him now then yes, let us have a look. Then decide if he is going be like Jimmy was when he came from Leinster - a massive career resurrection and turn about or if he is going to be continuing as he has.
If we are talking about a start next year then I would think it to be a big risk.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »
What's his wife done to deserve her nightmare tag?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »
Perhaps it may have been smarter to keep her thoughts private https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/107163777/julian-saveas-wife-blasts-french-rugby-in-a-series-of-scathing-tweets

However he will be a huge gamble, he didn’t look fit and has been playing out of position, so it will take a few weeks to get him firing at least. Could be a very expensive flop for someone.
It was fine when I left it.....

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
I would imagine Toulon would have to pay off his contract, or come to some agreement, so he won't be needing too many pennies. Just looked his wife up. Not sure what all the fuss is about. And she is easy on the eye.
So Saracens will be lining him up and paying him next to nothing then ;-)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:42:43 PM »
Seems the drop of form has been swift, Ab's, then dumped by Canes due to form only to rock up at Toulon with his form still AWOL.

The name gives him credit but for how long. I'd prob say he can get fit with us on the money Toulon will have to carry on paying him.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
You can see the tail off in his stats here http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-19619.html His time at Toulon is poor (understatement) for a player of his alleged magnitude, 1 try in 11 games for somebody whoa was once pretty prolific. There has to be a contributing factor for the downward glide path, I remember watching him and thinking I would love to see him at Wasps, but now thinking he is a massive gamble. TBF, something is rotten in the State of Toulon and that is a factor.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 08:58:01 PM »
He has been playing centre - don't know how many but must be a factor for a winger.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »
This could run and run, Savea basically saying he is still contracted and will turn up for training https://twitter.com/juliansavea7/status/1097277682427998208 , who would sign for Toulon at the moment...?

Nehe Milner-Skudder is signed for next season, I can see that collapsing in a heap.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
My guess is that he will turn up at the training ground and be refused entry. He probably has nothing in writing, so the Toulon lawyers will be working overtime with his agent to sort out the mess that Mourad Boudjellal has caused with his outburst. The Toulon HR department will probably have been working on this night and day. Whatever, this is going to get messy unless they say here is the money for the rest of the contract and here is your release. Sign here please. No wonder Fekitoa wanted out.

The other players, especially any other 'imports' are going to be wondering who is next? If I had signed already for them, I too would be re-considering my options.

So far, Julian has shown some class with that tweet. If I were him, I would temporarily keep off social media (both him and his wife) until he sees the money and release, and even then I would keep mum about it all. Chances are, they will stick him (and maybe his wife) with an NDA.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
Mourad is a bit of a hot head isn't he and I suspect he's part of the reason why Toulon, despite their immense wealth, have fallen from grace.

His comments are a little confusing.. saying Savea is "released"??  Its not as simple as that.. he has a yr left on his contract. Toulon could simply put him on gardening leave for a whole year but I doubt either party would be happy with that. So perhaps they pay him half of his remaining contract and he can pack his bags and improve his golf handicap or go and find another club to play for.

If he is free now and was agreeable to bunk with Lima or Brad for a few months then Wasps should give him a go. See how things turn out

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:39:45 AM by BG »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
I suspect that common sense will transpire this morning.  The owner of Toulon will realise the cost involved and Savea has been level headed with his response so far. Possibly an agreement to separate at the season end. If not then welcome to your Wasps trial period.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »
Maybe, however I think the Toulon owner isn’t wired that way. Instinct tells me it will be a messy parting of the ways and Savea may head back to the SH. His style would suit the NRL, and plenty of choice. I would like to see Wasps give him a go but he may wish to leave the NH game behind, especially after the DNA and twin brother nonsense.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
Now Rhys Webb may be leaving Toulon https://twitter.com/walesrugby/status/1097499625341231104?s=21, interesting times.