Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OL's Training Base update  (Read 3676 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
OL's Training Base update
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »
Nick Eastwood did an interview with Touch FM (the local radio station in Leamington and Warwick) and gave them an update.

Wasps were busy doing local consultations/surveys (wildlife surveys etc) right now. They should be completed soon, and then they will draw up plans to submit to Warwick DC in Summer this year at the latest. Assuming it all goes through quickly, the site would be completed by Summer 2020.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: OL's Training Base update
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »
Knowing Wasps luck at the moment they'll be some rare species of newt or a valuable archaeological site there or something & it'll scupper the whole thing!

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
I know they have to do a bat survey, and you can't do them until April at the earliest, and normally mostly done in May onwards. There WILL be bats in the trees and hedgerows, so the survey will take 2-4 weeks. Then it will take a couple of weeks to produce the report, then the architect has to include plans to mitigate any disturbance. End of June before they could submit would be my guess. So, much as we might like it to be quicker than that, it can't be.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
I don't know when OL's was first mentioned as the proposed Wasps training base. This is a link to an article in the local paper:-

https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/leamington-archery-club-is-looking-for-a-new-home-1-8794404.

Though dated 1st February this year it refers to the Archery Club being given 12 months notice  to leave in May last year to make way for planned development with Wasps RFC and the expansion of junior and mixed ability rugby.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
I know they have to do a bat survey, and you can't do them until April at the earliest, and normally mostly done in May onwards. There WILL be bats in the trees and hedgerows, so the survey will take 2-4 weeks. Then it will take a couple of weeks to produce the report, then the architect has to include plans to mitigate any disturbance. End of June before they could submit would be my guess. So, much as we might like it to be quicker than that, it can't be.

Maybe this is why Daly left.. scared of bats?

Joking aside the "bat or newt" (good name for a pub) only normally arises where there are disgruntled residents nearby who face having their views ruined. This isn't the case with OL's

RossM.. going back through my email records (someone from OL's emailed me) it looks like the link between Wasps and OL's was announced at the start of December (I thought it was earlier in the autumn)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
RossM.. going back through my email records (someone from OL's emailed me) it looks like the link between Wasps and OL's was announced at the start of December (I thought it was earlier in the autumn)

Would that be December 2018? If so then it was ongoing since at least May 2018.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »
Did somebody want a couple of Great Crested Newts - I have a couple specifically to kill planning applications!
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »

Would that be December 2018? If so then it was ongoing since at least May 2018.

Bat surveys are pretty much compulsory nowadays, especially for big projects like this. I tried to get planning permission to extend my house backwards a few years back, and it was rejected due to lack of bat survey before it even got to a hearing. Hadn't got the extra money to do that (it is expensive).

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
Just checked again.. 10th Dec 2018.. 2pm. OL's did very well to keep that under wraps if they informed the archery club in May 2018. I presume Wasps and OL's were in discussions well before that seeing as the person (at OL's) that emailed me is on speaking terms with Derek so must have known what was going on

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
Yes in my job the first thing we always did was to engage a consultant for a full eco survey. That way when we went for Planning we had the full info ahead of any request. Quite often upset them that we thought of that! If I remember we started doing it in 2000/01 to be ahead of the game. However as you say never cheap.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
At least some good progress is being made, planning applications are hardly the easiest things to contend with...
My thought is that the construction stages of the job should be relatively simple *touches wood* provided there is no bad weather or money hungry contractors to scupper plans.

skinny bee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:38 PM »
At least some good progress is being made, planning applications are hardly the easiest things to contend with...
My thought is that the construction stages of the job should be relatively simple *touches wood* provided there is no bad weather or money hungry contractors to scupper plans.

weather is always balmy in leam and most contractors are scrupulously honest  ::)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:21 AM »

weather is always balmy in leam and most contractors are scrupulously honest  ::)

I'll believe it when I see it   ;)