Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Umaga  (Read 8987 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Umaga
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »
Totally agree. He is far better getting regular Championship games this season to get experience. His time in NZ will have done him good but was truncated by his arm break. Give him a full pre-season with the first team and then decide where he is best played - or not!
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »

This forum is far too full of sensible reason.

Some seem to think that the only way to improve and get experience is by playing in the premiership.... and by that, they'd be happy with 10 minutes off the bench in the first instance.

I suspect, however, that a player is more likely to come up against more varied opposition in the championship, because typically, those in the premiership will usually play the numbers and the correct percentage game.

60 minutes + in any league is better for experience and improvement than 10-15 minutes in the premiership

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 09:26:29 PM »
Totally agree. He is far better getting regular Championship games this season to get experience. His time in NZ will have done him good but was truncated by his arm break. Give him a full pre-season with the first team and then decide where he is best played - or not!

+1 He gets leadership and responsibility especially at FB and taking kicks and there is pressure too. All good experience. I'd like to see him get game time next season with Wasps, if it fits with a plan...

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
It’s encouraging that even at 15 he’s been trusted with the goal kicking, shows some real maturity

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNSpSSmlovY

One of the tries against Yorkshire, Jacob spots the numbers are off, and tries to get round, I like that he spotted it, less the miss.  A little later though he puts in a really nice hit in defence. Fairly sure it's him that spots it's on from the 22, though the final pass isn't given unfortunately. Unfortunately also throws an intercept.

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
He slipped off a tackle which led to a try too, where he goes around the back of the ruck to cover. Not sure he covered himself in glory and the standard does look significantly lower than the prem. Main problem with experience at this level looks to be the lack of structure - its quite a different game when your team has less discipline around roles and positioning etc.

I reckon we should get him back in the fold.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
That slip was a tough one. He's working hard to cover across, then gets done in the step, it happens.