Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Some more rumours  (Read 7894 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Some more rumours
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 09:48:15 AM »
So on that basis poss my source “misheard” - and 3 fds and 1 back. The buzz around Barbeary suggests full time and not a uni contract despite his age or Sarries would be sniffing around him. Mate who was at Allianz on Sunday though the FB Bacon looked ou best back so he may b one of uni contracts boys.

Maybe, maybe not. Nearchou is apparently not tall enough to really make it as a prop in the prem (though there's some short props doing fairly well), and may be looked more as a hooker. However, with Barbeary, Wasps may not be interested in taking on 2 full time academy hookers.

Jac A

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
Re the U18s, It'll be interesting to see who gets contracts.

I'm sure Barbeary will be one and I agree with Raggs about Nearchou (Alex Shaw is usually good with these things). If it is only 2 forwards, I think it will be between Ademuwagun, Tunney and Mawdsley. Obviously James Tunney's brother is in the academy but I think he's on a Uni contract so James may opt for the same.

Hopefully a few will want uni contracts, as far as I know, Tunney, Atta and Seabrooke are part of the senior academy with student contracts and Jardine, Hunt and Onyeama-Christie are extended academy while at Uni (may be wrong though), and most of them have featured in the Prem Cup this year.

Jac A

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
Re the other rumoured signings and departures: I'd be happy with all of that.

Daniels knows the club and the coaches and I'm a big believer in having plenty of props - that would give us 4 THs and 4 LHs which would be fine.

With Dan hopefully away with England a lot next year I think we will need 4 SHs. Won't knock Hampson but I think his level is just below the Prem and at his age, getting plenty of gametime at Trailfinders I think he'll do well and Homer will want to challege and push Vellacott and Porter. He would also fit in with our habit of having 9s with the hairline of a 50 year old.

TJ off makes sense. Oghre will hopefully come into the First team Squad and with TT, Cruse and Ash I can;t see him getting games.

Moyle looks ok, pretty quick, decent under the ball and a good boot, can play FB or wing and we need back three players. I would still like us to sign a top winger and if Watson goes a simlar replacement (someone like Walker or Purdy who I think are out of contract this year). Ideally I'd like us to look at Mat Protheroe. There's always that George Worth rumour too.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
Saw on FB, Stoke rugby announced congratulations to Pete Vickers on being awarded a uni contract with wasps. Know he’s been around for a few years but not a name I’ve heard mentioned that much, second row I believe but possibly behind Ademuwagun and Pichardie in the pecking order and remember Mawdsley playing second row in the finals last year although maybe has moved FT to 6

Jac A I think you’re right with your uni contract info except Onyeama-Christie was moved ‘officially’ onto an academy university contract a while back

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
So on that basis poss my source “misheard” - and 3 fds and 1 back. The buzz around Barbeary suggests full time and not a uni contract despite his age or Sarries would be sniffing around him. Mate who was at Allianz on Sunday though the FB Bacon looked ou best back so he may b one of uni contracts boys.

Maybe, maybe not. Nearchou is apparently not tall enough to really make it as a prop in the prem (though there's some short props doing fairly well), and may be looked more as a hooker. However, with Barbeary, Wasps may not be interested in taking on 2 full time academy hookers.

His dad said that primarily  Zac prefers playing hooker but plays at prop because Barbeary is hooker. He didn't seem any shorter than Barbeary.. certainly wider though

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »

On the whole I've always preferred short props: two of my favourites were Ian McLauchlan (5ft 9¼ins) and Tom Smith (5ft 10ins). Certainly too light for today's game, but I expect they could both bulk up if necessary.  They posed problems for taller tight heads in their day by burrowing under them.

And on the subject of short front row players - Trevor Leota was 5ft 9ins.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
Trevor Leota was 5ft 9ins.

wide !!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »
Wonder how tall he is then? If he’s been playing first choice LH for a couple of years and has been named by Alex Shaw in the top 3 LHs at his age and subsequently picked by England (although that could be as a hooker) he must have a fair bit about him.
Will see what Dai can do with him but even if he wants to play hooker I believe you should really keep hold of whatever front row talent you have and see how it all unfolds.
Barbeary could do a Stuart at 21 years old and we’d have a gap to fill

skinny bee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
Slow work day ;D
Mate who is quite clued up on schoolboy scene reckons Nearchou 5”9 ish ht and width! Apparently, Barbeary is 6’2” ish but freakishly powerful. Mawdsley and the spanish kid (?) are most naturally talented other than these two so interesting to see how much store coaches set by untapped potential. Any one know when the awards are announced? Also contract length?? I was told lad at Sale, the fh Curtis has just got a 5 yr deal!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
26 year old full back Kyle Moyle from Cornish Pirates to Wasps. At 5'11" and 90kgs he is not small, at least. Their coach rates him as the best full back in the Championship with 11 tries already this season. That's the rumour, but he signed a two year deal only in December?

Is Dai trying to build a bit of depth in the backs? I wonder if Owain James is off? Do we only offer a one year contract when moving from the academy to the main squad, as he only signed for this year? Or is he going to replace WLR?

I'd be gutted if we lost James, I've always thought he showed bags of potential.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
Hasn't Owain James been injured all season?

(A genuine question, not suggesting that's reason to get rid of him)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
The problem with short props these days is the weight they carry - or lack of.

Most top props are at least 6'1 these days and allows them to carry a lot of weight and still remain relatively mobile.

If you have a 19 stone prop at 6'3 he's likely to be more mobile and athletic than a 19 stone prop at 5'10.
That's not to say that a 16/17 stone, 5'10 prop can't be successful, (I'm sure once one comes along and tears the premiership up we'll start seeing more) but while their height might give them an advantage in a 1v1 at the scrum, the lack of weight and height is usually a hindrance at most other set pieces

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
JTA is 6ft 4in and weighs 19st 10ibs.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
Yes Owain James has had a substantial knee injury, perhaps ACL and I think will not be ready much before the end of the season.
Real make or break time for him at 21 to push on so hopefully this injury won’t set him back

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
The problem with short props these days is the weight they carry - or lack of.

Most top props are at least 6'1 these days and allows them to carry a lot of weight and still remain relatively mobile.

If you have a 19 stone prop at 6'3 he's likely to be more mobile and athletic than a 19 stone prop at 5'10.
That's not to say that a 16/17 stone, 5'10 prop can't be successful, (I'm sure once one comes along and tears the premiership up we'll start seeing more) but while their height might give them an advantage in a 1v1 at the scrum, the lack of weight and height is usually a hindrance at most other set pieces

.. but if a 6'3 prop goes up against a 5'10 prop.. he can't scrummage as low (shoulders higher than hips) and will most likely collapse. The only two really tall sucessfull props I've seen are Andrew Sheridan and Carl Hayman.

There's a reason why short fat blokes play in the front row