Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England team re Wales  (Read 5617 times)

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: England team re Wales
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »
England team to face Wales: Daly; Nowell, Slade, Tuilagi, May; Farrell, Youngs; Moon, George, Sinckler, Lawes, Kruis, Wilson, Curry, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Williams, Launchbury, Shields, Robson, Ford, Cokanasiga.

No Nathan. Does that mean we get him back for Sharks? On the bench maybe?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
... No Nathan. Does that mean we get him back for Sharks? On the bench maybe?

My thoughts exactly.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Doubt it. He will probably be a travelling reserve, just in case one of those in the 23 tweaks something on the Captain's run or in the warm up.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
homas Young not in the Welsh 23.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Aled Davies (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Northampton), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 03:46:26 PM »
There’ll be a warm welcome in the valleys and in the city, even without Samson Lee.
20 years since Wales beat England in a home game at Wembley with a typical Scott Gibbs try. I was there - as Max Boyce would say.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
I've got a funny feeling about this one. I think England have performed very well up to this point but I really think England will require a Plan B and not have one.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
Gatland and co will have found some weakness to exploit so I hope we change things up a little. And also have identified a weakness or two to exploit ourselves.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »
Interesting view on 1014.com

https://the1014.com/england-v-france-tactics-france-failed-expose-england/

For me, Japan showed the way - just lacked physicality and SA in SA showed that England's fast start can be negated by matching the physicality

England have improved since the tour - I hope its a close game and England do have to think.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »
Interesting view on 1014.com

https://the1014.com/england-v-france-tactics-france-failed-expose-england/

For me, Japan showed the way - just lacked physicality and SA in SA showed that England's fast start can be negated by matching the physicality

England have improved since the tour - I hope its a close game and England do have to think.

England are playing at a very different level now than they were in SA.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
Raggs, I'm not sure its that clear, imo, they are playing like they did for 20 in SA for more of the game, if anything, they were playing in attack at a higher level in the SA tests in the first 20 of each of the first two tests out there - I've rarely if ever seen such attacking play by England - ball in hand.

But none the less my main point was that any team that is matched physically then has to adapt. England haven't been forced to adapt this 6Ns and probably won't be.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
Dai’s prediction today was that he wouldn’t be surprised if England blew them away.  He pretty much said:

- If it’s close in the last 20, he’d expect Wales to edge it
- If it’s not close in the final quarter then England will blow them away

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 09:46:28 PM »
Anyone who thinks Wales are going to roll over needs their head examined; there are many who say 'I don't worry about Wales', on the basis they don't put up results against ABs, Aus etc. but that never had much relevance to Eng Wales. It was Wales who dumped us out of the cup, Wales who stuffed us 30-3 when the slam was up for grabs. They can raise their game for major wins in the 6n, where they have a bigger trophy cabinet than Eng this past decade. It won't have to be by much to beat us, a minor upswing on their Autumn performances should do.it. They have at last started to get SH results, for my money Wales have it in them to win. That does not mean I think they will, but they have everything going for them, home advantage, Ref who will not reward any English set piece advantage, an Itoje injury, and confidence from eleven odd wins. England rarely stuff Wales away, hopefully we can produce the goods tomorrow, but if it turns out to be close, well I won't want to be betting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:00:38 AM by westwaleswasp »

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »
Totally agree that Wales have it in them.  You hear some of the pundits talking about France and their desire to play on emotion that causes their inconsistencies as you simply can’t play on emotion every week but when they do get themselves fired out, they can be unplayable.

Well, this is the game that Wales will be putting all of their emotional energy into.  They’re unbeaten and finding ways to win - without neccessarily playing well - are at home and will have invested a huge amount of emotional energy into the game.

It’ll be a huge test of where England are and I don’t think England will find many games with more pressure on them.

Can’t wait.  Let’s hope that the Sale game is a decent pre-cursor to this one!