Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England team re Wales  (Read 5616 times)

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
Re: England team re Wales
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
From an opposition POV. Today is potentially the biggest test England have had in the last few months, AB's excepted. Wales are capable of winning today if at their best and we always make it difficult for you in Cardiff, lots of noise and 23 players who will be completely fired up. Aside from the rivalry, we are going for a record of consecutive wins that not even the great sides of the past could achieve.

Safe to say there's plenty on this one and it has the makings of a cracker.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:37:35 AM by BlackCountryWasp »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:40:34 AM »
Another quick fire try would be huge here, try and quieten the crowd (even get a round of swing low going). Losing Mako is a big loss. Wales can definitely hurt us, but seeing as we're looking to take this block of games seriously and at high intensity, this is a game we should be looking to win, and not by a last minute play.

I'd like to see us in relative control for the full 80, maybe not a massive lead, but 8 points+ by the end would make me happy.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Well - that wasn't something I would have bet on.

Couple of queries

a) What the hell happened to England's running game demonstrated so many times in 2018?*

b) Is Robson just not trusted by Jones? Then why is he picked to warm the bench even when the 9 is playing poorly?

c) Is England's "tactical flexibility" merely looking to win a kicking contest and/or get May in a foot race from a kick?

*For the third match in a row, England’s centre pairing accounted for three or fewer passes in total...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
Very poor use of subs by Jones. It was clear to many fans that the England plan A was not working and, though England looked safe enough in the first half, things started to go amiss shortly after the start of the second. Wales started to believe that they could win and played with renewed energy. Once again, half way through the tournament, England were looking knackered IMO. Despite Jones' & Mitchell's regime, Wales looked the fitter and better able to play 80 minutes, and so it proved. Cokanasiga was brought on with 10 minutes to go primarily because May was injured. Where was he at the end when Biggar lofted one for his winger to catch? Cokanasiga is 6ft 4in, if he had been covering the kick would Adams have caught it? Everyone apart from England knew how Biggar was going to play and Elliot predictably muffed it.
Dobby and Ford must have been spitting nails. Since being called into the SA squad and now for the 6 nations, Dan has played just 10 minutes of rugby for EJ. Just what is the point?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »
I have to say that at 55 min, I though Wales would fade...silly me. England were safe to HT but in reality the try was a gift and they hadn't created anything - especially once the "score in the first 5" tactic hadn't worked.

I wasn't sure either where Big Joe was - Daly was exposed vs a decent kick and chase - and when more tempo - or a different tempo was required - the bench was left where it was

I thought in the summer - England just needed to get a defence to match the fantastic attack that was demonstrated in SA, based on good go forwards previously. What's happened - it seems - is England have prescribed a limited game plan with no options if England can't impose their game on the opposition.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
All predictable after we started to fade, once it went to ten six up, I felt there was only one winner, and they were wearing red. You could feel that England were slipping and Farrell/Youngs are awful if their forwards are not winning the collisions.

Jones' has gone for quick fix England, reliant on the forwards, the territory game, exploiting Youngs' one strength, and he is unable or unwilling to develop an expansive game ; when the territory game  fails so do they.  It reminds me of Sarries circa 2013, capable of crushing until the opposition stop the monotactical approach where upon the locker is found to be as bare as a badger's arse. Unlike Sarries, who developed their game, Jones is a short term man, hence his desire for nineteen year old apprentices over the 25 year old next cabs off the rank. He has no desire to develop England, his philosophy is all based on his belief that the biggest indicator of world cup success is the number of caps, and this has prevented him developing in the backs.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
Well I enjoyed the result whilst being nervous through the first half :).
England wanted to kick the ball. Liam & the wings coped with that. Did the England wings get a pass out to them through the centres? I can just remember one May run. Did EJ expect plenty of penalty opportunities to follow the Farrell kicks? It must be a world record for an international team to concede just 3 in the match?
My nerves settled through the second half as Wales began to dominate. Two great attacking tries + Biggar being on the field.
EJ seemed to just throw subs on on the last 10 minutes - except for Robson.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 08:35:59 PM »
This game showed ED is not a 15, he just doesn't have the heart or guts for 15, sad to say it but Mike Brown would have been far stronger defensively - ED was lightweight (but that is because he isn't a FB). For the Cory Hill try ED stands off any sort of defensive involvement and looked loathe to get involved, look at the images when the ball is grounded. Adams beat him to a ball and juggled it for a try when it should have been ED's, his high ball game isn't good enough. I thought the England backs lacked imagination and were poor in general yesterday, even the feted number 10. I barely recall Manu's name being called out. Youngs ran out of ideas and the best EQP scrum-half was getting splinters on the bench. Wales had more heart and the introduction of Biggar was spot on. All credit to Wales and Warren Gatland, England were outwitted and outplayed in the second half.

All of that said based on today's result the rest of the 6N is pretty interesting and nationality loyalties aside then it has been fun and entertaining to watch, notwithstanding France/Scotland which was a dirge. Ireland aren't the best team in the world and England have work to do - ED's finishers seem nonsensical to me at the moment, as it seems to be throwaway commentary and not something he really believes in but portrays cosmetically to the press and the listening rugby public.

It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »
This game showed ED is not a 15, he just doesn't have the heart or guts for 15, sad to say it but Mike Brown would have been far stronger defensively - ED was lightweight (but that is because he isn't a FB). For the Cory Hill try ED stands off any sort of defensive involvement and looked loathe to get involved, look at the images when the ball is grounded. Adams beat him to a ball and juggled it for a try when it should have been ED's, his high ball game isn't good enough. I thought the England backs lacked imagination and were poor in general yesterday, even the feted number 10. I barely recall Manu's name being called out. Youngs ran out of ideas and the best EQP scrum-half was getting splinters on the bench. Wales had more heart and the introduction of Biggar was spot on. All credit to Wales and Warren Gatland, England were outwitted and outplayed in the second half.

Couldn't agree more. The primary role for a 15 is as a last line of defence and for me ED isn't good enough (brave enough) under the high ball and doesn't have the natural instincts of a 15 to get himself in the right position covering the back field. He does make a difference  in attacking play when he joins the backline in or around the 13 position. Funny that.. who would have thought. Given he came to prominence and onto EJ's radar by playing 13 at Wasps, its amazing that he's only played 1 game there for England (I think)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
I say again, where the f**k was Cokanasiga, all 6ft 4in of him? Sorry to be repetitive  >:(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
One of the finishers, he had his opportunity, nowhere to be seen when he should have been back with ED. England’s back were poor but I don’t see EJ changing much, if anything.
It was fine when I left it.....

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
How long before the final whistle was Cokanasiga on for? Same with Shields who, I assume, replaced Lawes. Neither seemed to have more than 5 minutes on the field.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »
How long before the final whistle was Cokanasiga on for? Same with Shields who, I assume, replaced Lawes. Neither seemed to have more than 5 minutes on the field.

I think Cokanasiga came on about 70 mins in and Brad came on when Lawes went off at 75mins.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!