Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT New field of combat for Bath rugby club  (Read 1599 times)

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
OT New field of combat for Bath rugby club
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »
New field of combat for Bath rugby club
Sean O’Neill
March 5 2019, 12:01am, The Times
Surrounded by seven Somerset hills, adorned with lovingly preserved Georgian buildings and rich in Roman history, Bath is a superlative city.
The picturesque views of terraces, squares and the countryside beyond that can be glimpsed from all over the city are a key factor in its designation as a World Heritage Site. They represent, Unesco says, a “demonstration par excellence of the integration of architecture, urban design and landscape setting, and the deliberate creation of a beautiful city”.
Those iconic views now face a threat from something that is also an integral part of Bath’s character. Bath Rugby, a 150-year-old institution much loved by local people, wants to build an imposing complex to replace its charming but dilapidated home on the Recreation Ground in the city centre.
The club is owned by the pharmaceutical millionaire Bruce CraigDAVID ROGERS/GETTY IMAGES
There is growing unease among Bathonians about the development, which includes much taller stands, a retail mall and a 700-space car park in the middle of a clean air zone.
Residents are also concerned that although the club is owned by the pharmaceutical millionaire and lifelong fan Bruce Craig, the company running the stadium development is controlled by a Bermudan bank and a French banker who lives in the Bahamas.
It is the inevitable impact on the views that is generating most anxiety. Stadium capacity will rise from 13,500 to 18,000 and the entire complex will be significantly raised to lift it out of the River Avon flood plain. The car park will be underneath the playing surface.
The Federation of Bath Residents’ Associations is worried about the “serious potential harm” of the taller stands, and Historic England is urging the rugby club to minimise harm to Bath’s “extraordinary and sensitive urban environment”. Simon Hickman, an inspector of historic buildings with the charity, said: “Part of the city’s beauty, and one of the reasons it is a World Heritage Site, is the relationship between townscape and landscape. We are concerned that key views could be obscured.”
Before any building work begins, the stadium proposal will be tested in the High Court because a 1922 covenant states that no building should be erected “which may grow to be a nuisance, annoyance or disturbance or otherwise prejudicially affect the adjoining premises or the neighbourhood”.
Lawyers for the club have written to local residents claiming that the covenants are not enforceable.
Tarquin McDonald, chief executive of Bath Rugby, said the club was working to “compress” the height of the new development and that the plans include opening up the riverside area for public use. He said that without a new stadium the club would be forced to leave the city, “but it’s not something we want to do . . . we think we are part of the city’s DNA”.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: OT New field of combat for Bath rugby club
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »
Well, I think they could get the Romans to build it in their classic style and model it on the Colosseum. Sort of Mock Regency/Mock Roman.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:57:32 PM »
Best of luck trying to get that passed the trust that are trustees of the land and then the council. Why desn't Craig simply relocate to some cheaper out of town land and build a bespoke stadium.. he's certainly not short of a bob or two.

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through just to increase capacity by a few thousand

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »
I saw some of the artists impressions a while back and if I lived in Bath I would be up in arms. Lovely city that could be ruined by a new towering edifice plus a new car park for 200 cars which wouldn't normally be there.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »
Its a hard one - Bath is my nearest ground and I occasionally go with my neighbours who are season holders. Part of the charm is being in the City, and a main part of the pain too! If there was an option on another stadium still within pub walking distance - that would be great - but Bath isn't really blessed with lots of spare flat land near the City. I don't have a solution - but would miss the opportunity to visit grounds actually in Cities/Towns. I always enjoy going to Glaws for that reason!

It might well be in the best place already - but it doesn't need to be a monstrosity!