Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'We were robbed' - Dai Post Match  (Read 4721 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 'We were robbed' - Dai Post Match
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 11:08:18 PM »
We saw with Miller our backs looked dangerous, more than they have with Lima.
I think you are forgetting our away match in France, we lost but our backs looked sharp, with Searle at the helm too. Searle was less impressive at the start, I completely agree, but then when Lima came in we were as bad.
I don't understand how we give the platform for the ten. Surely the backs get their platform from the half backs, once the forwards secure good ball. I mean this year the forwards have often given decent ball only for it to go pear shaped as we ship it out wide too early.
I'm not disagreeing about Miller, he looked a lot better than we had any right to expect.  But I disagree about Searle. Lima has far from hit his stride, and on a few ocassions Billy has been given the starting shirt, he was at least as bad.

I don't know how we give him his platform, I'm not a coach, not a particularly gifted analyst.  But Lima clearly has bucketloads of talent.  For some reason we aren't seenig that excapt for the odd moment.  It could be him, it could simply be that the game we play is alien to him and he will come good. It could just as easily be something in the squad set-up, or the way they are being coached that squashes his natural ability.

I have no doubt he will come good, I also have no doubt that he is a better long term bet than either Miller or Searle.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 07:59:45 AM »
We saw with Miller our backs looked dangerous, more than they have with Lima.
I think you are forgetting our away match in France, we lost but our backs looked sharp, with Searle at the helm too. Searle was less impressive at the start, I completely agree, but then when Lima came in we were as bad.
I don't understand how we give the platform for the ten. Surely the backs get their platform from the half backs, once the forwards secure good ball. I mean this year the forwards have often given decent ball only for it to go pear shaped as we ship it out wide too early.

I'm not part of the consensus that think Searle  is poor. I've seen him play most of the times he's turned out at the Ricoh and at no time did I think his performance was a downgrade on what Lima was offering and occasionally when he came on as subsitute, he improved things. You can excuse a few games at the start of the season as he got to know the squad, the same leeway can be offered to Lima but Lima still seems to be finding his feet. Is that because he's come from a different league with a different mindset and style of play.

It can't have escaped Dai that the backs seemed to function a lot better with a part-time 10 at the helm. Even Simpson seemed to look invigorated.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
It was the Willis non try that really boiled my p1ss. Rowlands dropped the ball yes but it didn't go forward. Some are even saying Tigers knock on. Either way, simply dropping the ball these days is ruled as a knock on irrespective of the direction the ball goes. I don't know how you can watch that clip in slow motion and conclude it went forwards. Bizarre.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 08:29:12 AM »
My fear is we bend the backs to suit Lima, then he goes or gets injured. It seems to me that we could end up rebuilding the body work because the seats don't fit, when it would be easier to just get new seats.
Searle plays differently to Lima, so if we reprogram the backs for Lima, what happens when Searle comes on?
A Walder style safer ten on the bench backing up a more expansive Cipriani type who plays with ball in hand in traffic is one thing, but the other way round seems odd.