Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Officials for Falcons Game  (Read 2029 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Officials for Falcons Game
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
Referee: Tom Foley (62nd Premiership game).

Assistant Referees: Greg Macdonald & Philip Watters.

TMO: Nigel Carrick & Rowan Kitt.

Citing Officer: Liam McTiernan.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Officials for Falcons Game
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »
I think he is the best of the new referees.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
Good news re Foley. Two TMOs?? Just in case one has not been to Specsavers!!!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
Rowan Kitt is the TMO normally paired up with Wayne Barnes, having listened to a referee/TMO podcast from the BBC, with Barnes & Kitt, on the way home last night (think it was actually from last week, so before our game against Tigers) it was very interesting to hear how Barnes and Kitt work together, and how they have stopped a lot of the old coded messages, and will just say it as it is.

They actually talked through a few decisions from the 6 Nations in the previous weeks, including some they had decided, and some they hadn't. Well worth a listen if you get the chance.

Sounded like Kitt is the key man from a TMO POV, so wonder if this is a bit of a backlash following last weeks game?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
TBH - having watched the last two games - the officiating has been rather off. Last week were the obvious - vs Sale - I was sure when watching the highlights that the TMO said Carr's tackle was fine and the ref ignored the advice (could have been wrong - but played it back) so just an average performance on the officiating front would be welcome.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
As said, Barnes and Kitt together are superb - every other match official should be made to watch several of their matches with just the reflink soundtrack, as part of ref training and then implement a similar strategy.

As for Foley, I remember a match against LI at the MadJetSki where he was in charge, and at one point he signaled a penalty to us on our 25m line, but we broke out and were finally stopped just short of their 5m line. He signaled play on, and Robson asked him "what about the penalty?", to which he replied "You've gained a 35m advantage". I thought how refreshing that was considering
that some refs will allow advantage to go on for much too long, then take it back.