Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England starting 15  (Read 2535 times)

southamwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
England starting 15
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Still no start for Dan this weekend. What does he have to do
  England starting XV (472 caps)

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 28 caps), 14 Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 3 caps), 13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps), 12 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors 16 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 43 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 68 caps) (captain), 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 83 caps), 1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)  , 2 Jamie George (Saracens, 35 caps), 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 20 caps), 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 56 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 30 caps), 6 Brad Shields (Wasps, 6 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 8 caps), 8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 39 caps)

Finishers (203 caps)

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 9 caps), 17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 6 caps), 18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 83 caps), 19 Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 20 caps), 20 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 11 caps), 21 Dan Robson (Wasps, 1 cap), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 53 caps), 23 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 20 caps)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: England starting 15
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
Even Dawson is joining in re: Robson

'Don’t get me wrong @benyoungs09 has been top draw this season and is no. 1 but why isn’t @d_jrobson in the starting XV. Surely he has to see how he goes....? #ENGvITA #CarryThemHome'
It was fine when I left it.....

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »
Slightly bizarre selection given the lack of passing in the last three games and also if we've picked Farrell again, then surely its the same gameplan, so why plan to kick and select a slower midfield combination?

Its not some clever ruse - England really are going to kick and bosh it...

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »
Beggars belief that Dan is still on the bench. No disrespect to Italy but I'd have thought that this game would have been perfect to give Dan a start.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »
EJ has missed the opportunity that Gatland took by starting a new scrum half against Italy.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
Slightly bizarre selection given the lack of passing in the last three games and also if we've picked Farrell again, then surely its the same gameplan, so why plan to kick and select a slower midfield combination?

Its not some clever ruse - England really are going to kick and bosh it...

I dunno about Teo, but Manu isn't really slow

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »
I would wager he is slower than Slade.
Remember Manu's turn on the wing for England? I don't think I have ever seen a slower winger. Obviously that was out of position under Lancaster, but that match showed him lacking real pace. Whatever Manu is, and he is plenty, "fast" would not be the first adjective to spring to mind.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »
Eddie talks about the 23, pretty clear where he sees Robson ‘the 2nd best halfback’, dismisses the Care, Wigglesworth clamour (sort of)

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/video-eddie-jones-on-why-now-is-the-time-to-unleash-the-tuilagi-teo-midfield-axis/

I think Teo is a mistake and would have stuck with Slade, Teo doesn’t play enough for me and Slade has shown he can step up. Eddie seems to favour the ‘big lumps’ in the backs. Joe C another example, however I am guessing Eddie thinks that this side will run up a cricket score against Italy......we’ll see.

It was fine when I left it.....

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
It just looks like a wasted opportunity for England. As certainly I worried - if matched physically - then what's the plan? As it was, the Wales game showed kicking the ball away and tackling loads is knackering and if you kick to a good back three, you're just giving the other team a leg up

Really does look like the attacking form shown last year (not the reason for the losses) has been abandoned. If England need to chase a game in the RWC if may have been over a year since the "Ford at 10" option has been given much of a go

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:42 AM »
Eddie always says that the players in the team are the best. It doesn't then stop him changing his mind in the next series.

11-15, I can actually see that backline working, and working well, I just don't think Farrell is the 10 to pull it off. I'd want to see Ford drifting, with Teo cutting an inside line, Daly working either side of Manu as another receiving option, etc.