Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What's changed?  (Read 7471 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What's changed?
« on: March 09, 2019, 06:01:25 PM »
Has anything really changed?

People are rightly pointing out that things aren't working too well for us at the moment.
Obviously a lot of that is fired by emotion due to today's result.

However, I've been thinking about it, and has a lot really changed on our play?

I'll admit that we had a good season or 2 just gone where it seemed like we were a strong, competitive team.
Prior to that though, a lot of fans have stated that we've been a team of individuals who just keep the ball alive in the hope that someone can do something special, break the line and score.
At the time, those individuals were usually Christian Wade, Elliott Daly, or whichever marquee overseas superstar we had that year.

For the last 2 years, things were different, but in a way still based on 1 individuals brilliance. He may have commanded some of those around him to do what he wanted which made it feel more structured, but really, it was still reliant on individual brilliance.

For various reasons, we've had a huge turnover of players year on year which makes it difficult to build genuine teamwork.

I think that what we're seeing now is that a team of exciting and high profile players can work for a while, but eventually, you need a proper team.

Dai has been talking about wanting to build a team with low player turnover for a number of years, but that seems hard for us to do.
The sooner that we can get some kind of stability year on year, the better

That being said, regardless of the result, I just love being a Wasps fan

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What's changed?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 08:23:02 PM »
I think that the coaching set up needs to be shaken up. Dai is still my man to take the club forward but we need someone underneath him (be that the Shaun Edwards, as rumoured, or someone else).

I also think the system needs to change so that we have something more collective, like Sarries or Exeter. We have seen the impact of individuals leaving us (like a former fly half or Wade).

This season is a write-off, but it won't stop me supporting the team or stop me attending games.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »
I think that the coaching set up needs to be shaken up. Dai is still my man to take the club forward but we need someone underneath him (be that the Shaun Edwards, as rumoured, or someone else).

I also think the system needs to change so that we have something more collective, like Sarries or Exeter. We have seen the impact of individuals leaving us (like a former fly half or Wade).

This season is a write-off, but it won't stop me supporting the team or stop me attending games.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I agree with you James.

I don't think its one thing. Its as if our squad (club) has its own set of biorhythms made up of a few elements  (coaching staff, injuries, selection (outgoing and incoming), form, off-field antics, ) and all have them have intersected the low point on the graph at the same time for some reason.

I do think a coaching shake up would help. A lot of the coaches have been there for a while now and like players can become stale in their approach, which then has a knock on effect to the players.

I don't believe/expect Dai does a lot of hands on coaching so I think he should stay but look to bringing in someone new and possibly having a clear out of the old guard (Blackett, Titterall etc)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:22:00 AM »
Yesterday looked like we had a Plan A. The same plan we have had for weeks, maybe months. No plan B. We just seemed to lack the capacity to mix it up, or the ability to carry Plan A through. Our defence had gone back to not going up in a line, instead leaving holes. We had gone back to one on one tackles, or going into contact unsupported. The great majority of times we gave a penalty away was because of this.

We looked tired and, dare I say it, lacking motivation, down. The crowd really did give it their all, even though it was somewhere over 11,000 Wasps fans and a handful of Falcons fans.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:47:51 PM »
I've just been watching what's changed hardly wins vs a certain No 10, absolutely running the game.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »
Add to that, not just our former number 10, a a team that believes in each other and plays effectively as a unit. Glaws are good to watch and use their strengths well.
It was fine when I left it.....

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
exactly and I believe the reason is they absolute confidence in their No 10,  Just like we used to

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »

But, my point was, is that any difference in relying on the individual brilliance of a Wade, Daly or Beale like we had done in previous seasons?

I know it's impossible to know, but if Cipriani left Gloucester at the end of the season, do you think they'd be challenging top 4 next year, even if replaced him with a relatively high profile fly half?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »
It wasn't just about our former number 10 today, Heinz had as much influence as did others. My point is that Glaws are a good unit, well coached and cohesive.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:56:47 PM »
It wasn't just about our former number 10 today, Heinz had as much influence as did others. My point is that Glaws are a good unit, well coached and cohesive.

I immediately put a few quid on them to lift the league trophy once Cipriani's move was confirmed.

But I still think they'll be a top 6 team when he leaves

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »
I dont buy that.

Yes Cips helped. But our style was what got us into the top four for four years and a row. It was what allowed us to win games we had no right to win before Cips came (Ruaridh Jackson against Toulon anyone?).

What we saw yesterday looked nothing like that. Our attacking structure was different. It was like watching a boxer who used to throw all sorts of combinations trying to win by throwing single punches.

Someyhingbis wrong, and it is not the lack of Cipriani.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
Lack of Cipriani is definitely a huge, huge factor for me, - he simply is the best ball in hand ten in the norther hemisphere, ideal for a team of wonderful runners- but alongside Cips we have lost Wade, and of course, Jimmy this year, WLR, Robson for large chunks too, whilst Daly has played like he did at 15 for us all those years ago- poorly as standard, with brief interludes of class. I think WLR has done much better than many here,  but we have a massive number of outgoing players- bad for morale, cohesion and planning. So we lost most of the runners and the playmakers and things have gone south. Lima for me is the wrong type of ten, although at the rate we have lost running threats he may end up being ideal.

One confidence drops things go toxic pretty quickly.
The good news is things can reverse with a W.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »
No Jimmy Gopperth is the answer. Held the whole shebang together.

We need to find another brain like his. He called most plays not Cips. 

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »
No Jimmy Gopperth is the answer. Held the whole shebang together.

We need to find another brain like his. He called most plays not Cips.

I can’t wait to see Lima and Gopps together, year round people have said Gopperth would’ve taken a lot of pressure off Lima and allowed him to acclimatise at his own pace. However he’s been thrust into a trying atmosphere and been expected to carry the team.

With our internationals returning too, we could see a very exciting back line that might get us through to top 6 or even play offs.

Robson
Lima
Daly
Gopps
JdJ
Bassett
WLR

If that doesn’t excite you then I’m not sure what will

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:18 AM »
I really do think people are a little deluded seeing Jimmy’s return as the second coming.
Playing devils advocate as I love Jimmy, but coming back from a tough injury at 35 will be tough anyway yet people seem to forget how much criticism he used to get for not being attacking enough when playing at 10.
When he moved to 12 outside Cips and he had that stellar season with all the awards, is when he became a wasps ‘legend’

Do people really think Jimmy at 12 is going to change the issues we have had with the backs this season????