Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What a competitive league we have  (Read 3228 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
What a competitive league we have
« on: March 10, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
Harlequins being butchered by Glaws....I don't fancy us getting much at their place, if anything?
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: What a competitive league we have
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »
Harlequins being butchered by Glaws....I don't fancy us getting much at their place, if anything?

Currently 0 - 29. Quins fans abandoning the stadium in droves.

As you say it's a competitive league. Remember we got a 5 point win at Ashton Gate, Feb 15th. On Mar 1st Bristol beat Glos also at Ashton Gate. So don't write us off just yet. I live in hope. Quins are pretty poor today.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Harlequins just scored, too little, too late. Glaws look settled and a tight unit, no real stand out stars, playing well as a team and sensible plays, not too elaborate but measured and effective.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
Really good team to watch - one thing that was outstanding was Danny taking charge during a breakdown in play - acting as senior player and setting standards. We don't seem to have the clarity of purpose Glaws have at presence and lack senior players who are seen to put their hand up. (I may have missed people doing this...) Glaws have that leadership at No. 8, 9, 10, and across the pitch. They have in their chief coach someone who has got the club to enjoy themselves and has facilitated players like 12T looking like the 13 he could always have been.

I think they will do us rather too easily

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
They read the weather conditions well, the wind was hard to deal with but they took that into account. Their on-field decision making is very good/exemplary, this is in opposition to Wasps, an area where we are poor. As you say our former 10, grabs decisions by the scruff of the neck and makes sure they count, as does Heinz. I thought Woodward was very good, nothing too elaborate but effective and balanced. Glaws pack is also very tight and disciplined...finally they are pleasing to watch. Post the Dave Ward incident, I have taken a dislike to Harlequins (I know it is emotional and irrational) but I was pleased to see Glaws win at The Stoop today!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »
I'm close enough to Bristol/Glaws and Bath to feel a little West Country loyalty these days - and I've been enjoying the number of Glaws games I've seen (mainly tv) and have really liked how Ackermann dealt with the Jersey incident, how Danny really has brought out the best in other players and Morgan has been great. They occasionally have "one of those" but I think their position and play this season has been a bonus and perhaps ahead of plan. 

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
I didn't watch the game but, judging by the scoreline, they clearly took Quins apart. Ever the pessimist, I don't expect much to come from our game with them in a couple of weeks time.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 01:01:26 PM »
I didn't watch the game but, judging by the scoreline, they clearly took Quins apart. Ever the pessimist, I don't expect much to come from our game with them in a couple of weeks time.

They did take Quins apart but Quins were poor and didn't seem very keen on doing anything much about it.  Apart of course for Mr Angry who BTW was not mistake free. Players who can deal with DC when he is on song don't seem to be around anymore. Where are a Paul Volley and a Serge Betsen both of whom I am quite confident would have made life uncomfortable for golden wrists.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »

They did take Quins apart but Quins were poor and didn't seem very keen on doing anything much about it.  Apart of course for Mr Angry who BTW was not mistake free. Players who can deal with DC when he is on song don't seem to be around anymore. Where are a Paul Volley and a Serge Betsen both of whom I am quite confident would have made life uncomfortable for golden wrists.

Why do you think that is? Has the style of coaching been an influence? Has the game moved on as such?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:25 PM »

Why do you think that is? Has the style of coaching been an influence? Has the game moved on as such?

I don't really know why. There may have been a change in the laws making it harder for a player to reach the fly half. Quite often, in line outs now, the bloke at the tail isn't a flanker. There was one game I remember when Serge put a young Owen Farrell right off his game. Only fractionally late and always appeared 'committed';) I seem to remember Austin  Healey saying something along the lines of experience making the difference.

When I played 50 years ago, there was no lifting and the winger threw in. There was a lot of obstruction but the so called 'tail gunner' was generally free to sprint straight at the fly half.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »

I don't really know why. There may have been a change in the laws making it harder for a player to reach the fly half. Quite often, in line outs now, the bloke at the tail isn't a flanker. There was one game I remember when Serge put a young Owen Farrell right off his game. Only fractionally late and always appeared 'committed';) I seem to remember Austin  Healey saying something along the lines of experience making the difference.

When I played 50 years ago, there was no lifting and the winger threw in. There was a lot of obstruction but the so called 'tail gunner' was generally free to sprint straight at the fly half.
Interesting, thanks for the insight