Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie Barbaery - but not as you know him...  (Read 7025 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie Barbaery - but not as you know him...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »
Fantastic coverage.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
Commentators clearly not aware that he's an England age grade player (nor that he normally plays hooker), but still, very good at their day jobs.

Good darts, good runs, good tackles, good passes, good turnovers, good offloads, good rips.

Good game.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:53 AM »
Just watched this, we have to hang on to him, the stand out player on the pitch - different level.
It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
Turns out that they actually play him at 12 (it's not a new thing), it's just they don't have a 12 shirt big enough for him :D.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 08:10:08 AM »

He's no doubt a great talent being recognised at various levels.

BUT, is he significantly better than Gabriel Oghre?

Gaby has represented England at various age grades and is a couple or years older than Alfie.

I'm seeing calls for Alfie to be fed into the senior squad next season, which feels premature given that he's only 18 at the moment, and that Oghre is likely next in line.

While Barbeary appears to be a powerful runner, is he a better hooker than Oghre?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »

He's no doubt a great talent being recognised at various levels.

BUT, is he significantly better than Gabriel Oghre?

Gaby has represented England at various age grades and is a couple or years older than Alfie.

I'm seeing calls for Alfie to be fed into the senior squad next season, which feels premature given that he's only 18 at the moment, and that Oghre is likely next in line.

While Barbeary appears to be a powerful runner, is he a better hooker than Oghre?

Calls for Alfie to be in the senior squad are premature in my mind. He's probably not better than Oghre just yet, but from what I recall he's better than Oghre was at 19/20 (when he was in the u20s). Better darts, more powerful carrier, though Oghre has great footwork (not that Alfie's is bad).

I'd probably focus on Alfie, since Taylor, Cruse and Johnson should see us through the next few seasons. But there's no reason both couldn't play for Wasps long term.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
Lining up in the schools plate final (15.40 kickoff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qweromUb01Q

Why not as you know him? He's lining up at 13...

Are the games being streamed today either on the RFU website or Youtube?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
At the end of yesterday's match the commentator said that the same viewing platforms would be used. I watched on the link which was to YouTube.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »

Calls for Alfie to be in the senior squad are premature in my mind. He's probably not better than Oghre just yet, but from what I recall he's better than Oghre was at 19/20 (when he was in the u20s). Better darts, more powerful carrier, though Oghre has great footwork (not that Alfie's is bad).

I'd probably focus on Alfie, since Taylor, Cruse and Johnson should see us through the next few seasons. But there's no reason both couldn't play for Wasps long term.

Interesting.
I've not seen him play, so can't really comment. However, I'd read some reports from about 6-9 months ago that said his lineout throwing was questionable.
Is your comment about "better darts" based just on yesterday's game, or have you seen him play other times?

It could easily be that he's constantly improving and has focused on that area of his game - if so, that's definitely a good sign.

What seems to be one of his best strengths, from reports that I've read, is his power running.
However, I expect that to be dulled somewhat when he comes up against senior pro's and tighter defences in the premiership.
If he's therefore focusing on other areas of his game, and improving his weaknesses, rather than relying on his physical advantages at age grade, then that's a really good sign.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 03:18:18 PM »

Interesting.
I've not seen him play, so can't really comment. However, I'd read some reports from about 6-9 months ago that said his lineout throwing was questionable.
Is your comment about "better darts" based just on yesterday's game, or have you seen him play other times?

It could easily be that he's constantly improving and has focused on that area of his game - if so, that's definitely a good sign.

What seems to be one of his best strengths, from reports that I've read, is his power running.
However, I expect that to be dulled somewhat when he comes up against senior pro's and tighter defences in the premiership.
If he's therefore focusing on other areas of his game, and improving his weaknesses, rather than relying on his physical advantages at age grade, then that's a really good sign.

It's less that his darts are perfect (they seem pretty good), and more that Gaby's in the u20s looked squiffy.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
I was very pleased with Alfie's performance. I wasn't too sure of his throwing, the Bloxham lineout did seem a bit wonky but whether that is the product of Alfie or not, I am not sure.
wasps made a good point regarding Alfie's build. It will be interesting to see Alfie up against better defences and/or bigger players as he did look like Bloxham's "big kid" on the team and was able to bully his way through tackles.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »
He's done similar things against other international age grade sides, including the boks. So it's not just a bunch of school kids. He also looked capable of doing it at u20s level against Scotland, albeit he only got 10 minutes.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
He's done similar things against other international age grade sides, including the boks. So it's not just a bunch of school kids. He also looked capable of doing it at u20s level against Scotland, albeit he only got 10 minutes.

Also remember he was picked for the U18s last week but upgraded to the U20s - must have been an injury or something. Yesterday he was playing for his school U18s. If he keeps it up some prospect.

Jac A

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted, but if you haven't seen it this is a pretty decent highlights reel for a youngster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZb1tV7qkew

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »
Quite impressive. Somebody took a bit of time to put that together. Maybe he's got an Agent!!!