Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dillyn Leyds  (Read 8823 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Dillyn Leyds
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »
Can we have some skilful English recruits please!

The English game is producing players ideal for Sarries and Exeter. Enough said. The few quality players that avoided this fate are spoken for.

Or is it that Saracens and Exeter have styled their play around the type of players that the English game produces?

I understand what Heathen is saying.
Even based on the information we have at the moment (and with the Leyds rumour), it's possible that we could field the following team next season:
Zuzu, Taylor, JTA
Launchbury, Gaskell
Johnson, Young, Carr
Robson, Sopoaga, Bassett, JdJ, Fekitoa, Leyds, Miller
That would be 9 non-English players in the starting 15

Admittedly, you could just as easily have McIntyre, Brookes, Willis (x2), Neal in that starting 15, and have Morris, MlB, Umaga on the bench which will be a high percentage of EQP players.
Don’t forget Minozzi and Vailanu
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
Of course, that was it. Minozzi.

Frankly, I am still not convinced we have enough depth at 9/10/12, but 9 should be OK if the latest rumour comes true about Will Homer. But we really need at least one more 10 and one more 12.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »
Can we have some skilful English recruits please!

The English game is producing players ideal for Sarries and Exeter. Enough said. The few quality players that avoided this fate are spoken for.

Or is it that Saracens and Exeter have styled their play around the type of players that the English game produces?

I understand what Heathen is saying.
Even based on the information we have at the moment (and with the Leyds rumour), it's possible that we could field the following team next season:
Zuzu, Taylor, JTA
Launchbury, Gaskell
Johnson, Young, Carr
Robson, Sopoaga, Bassett, JdJ, Fekitoa, Leyds, Miller
That would be 9 non-English players in the starting 15

Admittedly, you could just as easily have McIntyre, Brookes, Willis (x2), Neal in that starting 15, and have Morris, MlB, Umaga on the bench which will be a high percentage of EQP players.

That doesn't answer my question though, its just a list of non EQP of which I already knew.

Who are these EQP players that are affordable, available, willing to move clubs, available all season and of the kind of quality required? - That's the list I want to see.

Heathen doesn't do debate, he a statement chief.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57:40 PM »
Of course, that was it. Minozzi.

Frankly, I am still not convinced we have enough depth at 9/10/12, but 9 should be OK if the latest rumour comes true about Will Homer. But we really need at least one more 10 and one more 12.

Not wishing to be a doom monger but Rob could be permanent or long term in which case we need cover. I do wonder if as "injured" on England duty we are due something.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
If Dai is willing to go to SA again for Leyds, then my #1 choice would have been S'busiso Nkosi. Not sure if he was a free agent for next season, as he signed last for the 2017 season for Sharks (so that was likely a 3 year deal ending in 2019), and I think he still features in the Boks lineup, but he is by far a more like for like replacement of Wade. He certainly gave England something to worry about last year.

Jac A

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
That doesn't answer my question though, its just a list of non EQP of which I already knew.

Who are these EQP players that are affordable, available, willing to move clubs, available all season and of the kind of quality required? - That's the list I want to see.

Obviously I've no idea but affordability or willingness to move but I wouldn't mind us looking at Max Clark and Charlie Walker, neither will be bothering the England selectors that much but both are high quality English players whose contract's are up this year I believe and play in positions where we could do with some more numbers.

As for Leyds, I'd be very happy to see him at Wasps next year, he can play across the back three and cover 10 as well. He had a couple of very good seasons for the Stormers but hasn't featured much this year yet though he started at 15 at the weekend. Hopefully Nemo has been selling the club to him.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »

Obviously I've no idea but affordability or willingness to move but I wouldn't mind us looking at Max Clark and Charlie Walker, neither will be bothering the England selectors that much but both are high quality English players whose contract's are up this year I believe and play in positions where we could do with some more numbers.

As for Leyds, I'd be very happy to see him at Wasps next year, he can play across the back three and cover 10 as well. He had a couple of very good seasons for the Stormers but hasn't featured much this year yet though he started at 15 at the weekend. Hopefully Nemo has been selling the club to him.

Just so. Those two (Max Clark and Charlie Walker) would do nicely.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:33 PM »
My memory is rubbish...but weren't we linked with Max Clark a few weeks ago?  Could just be my memory playing tricks on me though.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
Yes Clarke was rumoured. If I remember correctly it was in TRP. Just once so probably rubbish.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
At least Boks and Aussies don't go during the 6n. ABs don't go anywhere at all, of course.

As ever, this type of signing depends on how much we pay. I am dubious on Fekitoa, for example, because in all likelihood he will be megabucks as a star name, or if he is cheap and rediscovers his mojo he could then be tempted elsewhere.
This signing, if true, is very much more likely to be a bit cheaper, and thus much less risky, which I welcome. Look at the value Ashley and Carr have given  us. I certainly would like to see the odd Englishman sign, but short of kidnapping fiver, there are not too many high end players I would want. Looking at the weekend you can see why!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »
Charlie Walker is quick but nothing else and can't tackle a bag. He hasn't been near the first team for quins for as long as I can remember and that along with the fact he hasn't been snapped up for next season yet confirms he doesn't tick the 'Quality' box.

Clarke is ok, isn't first choice for Bath and regularly injured, jury is out on his 'Quality' box ticking status.

Not sure 2 players constitutes a list anyway.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
Isn’t there a restriction on how many non-EQP players we can use in a match-day squad? And does that apply to Welsh/Scottish players? I leave out the Irish since they seem unlikely to move to England - although one or two nearing the end of their careers might be good for us.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
The issue is we need more quality in the back division, the forwards picture is forming nicely but the backs are a shadow of where we were 3 years ago. For me, we need another 9, another 10, a natural 14 and a 15, 11 is gap in terms of cover as Bassett isn't bomb proof (though he does his best to be). I am hoping Neal and MLB offer cover options and Fekitoa is the real deal, Naholo noise has abated but he is clearly considering something, maybe Irish maybe Wasps. And we are all (mostly all) clamouring to see Umaga to step up and be given a chance, if his gene pool is anything to go by then we may have a real gem there.

I concur with earlier comments about EQP but sadly the available players at the requisite quality aren't out there. Professional sport is a results business, that is what puts bums on seats, secures television rights and sells shirts/merchandise, it of course also broadens the appeal and grows the fan base - all positives. I am confident that Dai is all over this and is keen to make sure we don't end up with any more passengers or any more projects. With regard Campo, I really liked his style of play and commitment but ultimately his fitness and fragility have to be questioned, he has a track record of being unavailable. Compare Campo to JdJ who is hard as nails and takes a lot of knocks, and gets back on the horse regularly. Leyds is a mate (from what I can fathom from social media) of JdJ's, let's hope he is using his charm and obvious wit to persuade him to come to Wasps.
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Hymenoptera...
I agree. I have no idea who else we should be signing. There's not many eqp players that look particularly exciting.

That being said, even Jamie Noon looked like an exciting centre once. (Admittedly in an England game where I believe he played outside Danny Cipriani)
Ben Youngs was known for being a lively, fast, sniping scrum half.
George Ford was a defence unlocking fly half.
Etc etc etc

In the right environment, at the right times, with the right focus, most players can play an exciting brand of rugby.
You just need players around them playing the same way and have a team style that suits it.

I think the problem is that on the whole, winning teams are based around structures. While structures and excitement aren't mutually exclusive, you tend to find that there's a heavier focus on control and minimising mistakes, rather than playing a gung ho approach

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 11:30:34 PM »
Leyds definitely has some skills but hope we are still looking for some more size and power in our recruitment in the backs.

No chance we’ll sign another 10, Lima, Jimmy on his way back, Searle back next season, Umaga, Miller covers well enough and possibly Leyds signing.
12 however I hope we are still looking at someone or whether Neal could play there more for some bosh!!
Fekitoa or de Jongh are going to end up playing 12 when I think they’re both better 13s, Jimmy isn’t going to go on forever, Booj has been hit or miss (especially in defence)

Max Clarke was mentioned and I think a lot was dependent on whether JJ was staying at Bath or not. Clarke could be looking for more game time but it’s hardly a definite at wasps in the 12 or 13 shirt but he would add some power and is a young EQP.

Need to see if Gaby and Watson stay too.

Leyds however would be an upgrade on the wing on Watson, Neal and the Wade size whole that is left in the squad and probably Bassett, he’ll hopefully be available all year and with Minozzi would cover FB very well for a lot less money than WLR is on
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:37:38 PM by JonnyD »