Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dillyn Leyds  (Read 8825 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dillyn Leyds
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 06:46:33 AM »
Isn’t there a restriction on how many non-EQP players we can use in a match-day squad? And does that apply to Welsh/Scottish players? I leave out the Irish since they seem unlikely to move to England - although one or two nearing the end of their careers might be good for us.

Each EPL club has to meet a 70% EQP ratio in their match day squad (averaged out over the season)

Given the historical generation links between the UK (Eng in our case) and the SANZAR coutries there's a good chance that a player will have a parent or grandpaarent who was born in Eng making that player EQP.

I'm presummnig Jimmy technically qualifies as EQP through the previous residency rules.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:51:50 AM by BG »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »
But can you be EQP if you have represented another country? Is it different for Pacific Islanders? They seem to be everywhere and teams still hit their targets. There are closer links between the UK countries, but Young Jr isn't EQP as he plays for Wales. Surely anyone who has played for the Boks will not be EQP regardless of grandparentage or parentage?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 08:08:44 AM »
I'm guessing once you've represented one country the only way you can represent another (or be EQP) is via World Rugby residency rules which is now 5 yrs I think.

That being said Anscombe represent NZ U20's and now plays for Wales, but his mum is Welsh?

I'm trying to think of someone that has done it at senior level (In union)?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 01:29:49 PM »
Hymenoptera...
I agree. I have no idea who else we should be signing. There's not many eqp players that look particularly exciting.

That being said, even Jamie Noon looked like an exciting centre once. (Admittedly in an England game where I believe he played outside Danny Cipriani)
Ben Youngs was known for being a lively, fast, sniping scrum half.
George Ford was a defence unlocking fly half.
Etc etc etc

In the right environment, at the right times, with the right focus, most players can play an exciting brand of rugby.
You just need players around them playing the same way and have a team style that suits it.

Basically the England team then.

Having 15 or 23 or 30 decent EQP isn't enough to facilitate club recruitment. At 3 per team thats 36 players.

Looking at the EQP's, Manu -600k, Ford 450k, Itoji/Farrel/George etc... anywhere from 600k to infinity. We signed a raft of EPQ's this season...how's that gone down.

To make a statement that we should be signing EQP's as is kind of baseless knowing whats available, as are most of Heathens posts.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »
Hymen, you're confusing EQP with EPS.

EQP is English Qualified Player, just because England don't select you doesn't stop you being EQP, Wade being the classic example.

Okay, just reread your post, I clearly misunderstood your point. Not all EPS players are the only good EQPs. Wade still a classic example  ;D Guy Thompson was EQP and no-one would argue he isn't a quality back row. Gaskell is EQP,  I would say definitely quality. Obviously we don't/can't know who else we tried to sign whenever we announce a signing, but I hope we are trying to get young English talent where possible before we cast a wider net.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:56:19 PM by Lwasp »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/sa-rugby-faces-mass-exodus-after-world-cup-20190318

The 14 players are Stormers trio Eben Etzebeth (Toulon, France), EW Viljoen (Leicester Tigers, England) and Dillyn Leyds (Wasps, England); Bulls quartet RG Snyman (Honda Heat, Japan), Eli Snyman (Treviso, Italy), Hendre Stassen (Stade Francais, France) and Duane Vermeulen (Kubota Spears, Japan); Sharks quintet Jacques Vermeulen (Exeter Chiefs, England), Akker van der Merwe, Jean-Luc du Preez, Dan du Preez and Robert du Preez (all Sale Sharks, England); and Lions duo Stephan Lewies (Harlequins) and Nic Groom (Edinburgh, Scotland).
It was fine when I left it.....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »
To make a statement that we should be signing EQP's as is kind of baseless knowing whats available, as are most of Heathens posts.

I merely asked if we could sign some English players - is that an unreasonable request?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:35 AM »
To be fair there are a few younger English players- we just lost WS, but don't seem to be getting in the frame for too many of the Mallins or Lozowski type players. Vellacott excepted of course....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 06:54:01 AM »

The are exceptions when a club is struggling or gets relegated, but how often does young, exciting, English talent swap between premiership clubs?

Lozowski might be 1 such person, Tommy Taylor another. Maybe Devoto.

But it's not a common thing. The closest you get is someone who wasn't getting time at one club, who then flourishes in another environment. Like when we previously signed Varndell, Flutey or Sackey.
But again, it's not very common.

I don't think you can build a transfer policy around signing exciting players from other premiership clubs because they're likely to be expensive and it's a small pool of players.

For EQP players, the most likely way in is either signing from the championship, but there's no guarantee they can make the step up.
Or bringing someone through from the academy, but that's not an easy transition, and requires that the young players in the academy are genuine talents, rather than someone who just looks good in flashes against other young players

It's certainly not an easy job, and I'm glad it's not me that has to do it as it seems you're likely to fail more often than succeed

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »

I merely asked if we could sign some English players - is that an unreasonable request?

Not unreasonable, my retort was what English players?, because they dont exist. It's like me post asking why we arent signing more Russian player players, which would be a pointless question.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
Well watched him on a losing side this morning (just) and a tidy player. Playing full back today but seemed to link well. Good tackle and fast. Kept pace with Jack Lam and brought him down well. Need to watch more though. Tommy Allen had a better match coming on as a sub
Let me tell you something cucumber