Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 6N & CVC  (Read 2312 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
6N & CVC
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »
Interesting article on the Beeb site below. If they do go down that route then as the article says it puts great doubt over World Rugby's proposals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47547746
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 6N & CVC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »
I wonder what this investment would mean. I don't think there would be any noticeable difference?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
Probably not partaking in World Rugby's view and probably an end to relegation speculation.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
Interesting article.

Even without the potential CVC investment convincing the 6N's tournament to sign up was always going to be a big hurdle. The 6 nations on its own generates a lot of money (a much larger tv audience) so why should they change anything.. the Sanzar countries are trying to push the World league to drag the the commericial interest away from that, so they increase their revenue.

There will be a difference if CVC invests. Essentially they are like SISU. They don't care about rugby, they will want maximum return for minimum iinvestment.

That will mean the 6n's being taken off BBC/ITV and probably sold to Sky, it will also mean each union will receive 20-30% less income each year but the unions will be hoping that CVC can increase yearly income (from TV deals) to offset that. This mirrors exactly what is about to happen to the PRL/EPL.

CVC aren't investing for altruistic reasons.. they are money driven and they won't care about the consequences of their actions as long as they see a return on their investment

In 5 yrs we'll find out if the powers that be were being greedy and shortsighted or not
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:53:28 AM by BG »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
Agree with BG. However:
Wales, Scotland, Italy all need more investment. Ireland seem well organised and financed. I would have said the same about England but the RFU has had some senior management changes recently and made a number of staff redundant.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
This hasn't taken long to start to disintegrate

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/19/six-nations-divided-revenue-nations-championship-rugby-union

Eng and France want a bigger "equal" share if the 6N's decide to pool resources if they were to sign up with a 3rd party (CVC). Their argument is that they have to pay their respective club leagues more money.

TBH, in my mind, that's their problem not the other nations problem.. France and England probably do create the larger commercial slice of the pie but without the other nations there is no  6 nations

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:04 AM »
This hasn't taken long to start to disintegrate

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/19/six-nations-divided-revenue-nations-championship-rugby-union

Eng and France want a bigger "equal" share if the 6N's decide to pool resources if they were to sign up with a 3rd party (CVC). Their argument is that they have to pay their respective club leagues more money.

TBH, in my mind, that's their problem not the other nations problem.. France and England probably do create the larger commercial slice of the pie but without the other nations there is no  6 nations

+1

It's times like this where I begin to see the points that other nation's fans make regarding our own RFU being money grabbing.