Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's Up for Lions (Glaws)  (Read 3667 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Team's Up for Lions (Glaws)
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
15 Willie Le Roux (50)
14 Marcus Watson (23)
13 Juan de Jongh (43)
12 Gaby Lovobalavu (29)
11 Elliot Daly (188)
10 Rob Miller (98)
9 Joe Simpson (251)
1 Zurabi Zhvania (18)
2 Tommy Taylor (46)
3 Will Stuart (30)
4 Joe Launchbury (c) (135)
5 James Gaskell (104)
6 Brad Shields (9)
7 Nizaam Carr (31)
8 Nathan Hughes (119)

Replacements
16 Tom Cruse (57)
17 Ben Harris (42)
18 Jake Cooper-Woolley (125)
19 Will Rowlands (70)
20 Ashley Johnson (181)
21 Will Porter (10)
22 Jacob Umaga (7)
23 Josh Bassett (99)

Five international players return to the starting line-up for Wasps’ Round 17 Gallagher Premiership clash with Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Joe Launchbury skippers the side while Brad Shields, Nathan Hughes, Elliot Daly and Zurabi Zhvania are all handed starts.

Shields and Hughes link up with Nizaam Carr in the back row while Launchbury partners James Gaskell in the second row. Zhvania is restored to the front row alongside Tommy Taylor and Will Stuart.

In the backline, Joe Simpson and Rob Miller link up once again in the half backs while Gaby Lovobalavu and Juan de Jongh continue their centre partnership, with Daly, Marcus Watson and Willie Le Roux completing the back three.

Among the replacements, Josh Bassett could make his 100th appearance in the Black and Gold if he features while Will Rowlands could be in line for his 50th Premiership appearance.

Academy fly half Jacob Umaga is named on the bench again and could make his first ever Premiership appearance, with fellow Academy youngster Will Porter also called up to the side.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “Gloucester have got big physical forwards up front. They carry to the gainline very strongly and they've got Danny Cipriani behind pulling the strings. If they get some real quality front-foot ball, and he gets a platform to deliver, it's going to be a tough game.

"They've had an excellent season with no real disruptions. They deserve to be sitting where they are and they are going to be a difficult team to knock off at home.

“We know we've got to be good in the next six games but there is no reason why we can't pick up points and have a strong finish to the season.” 
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Team's Up for Lions (Glaws)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Gloucester Rugby
15. Jason Woodward; 14. Tom Marshall, 13. Billy Twelvetrees, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Ollie Thorley; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Willi Heinz (capt); 1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Franco Marais, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Ed Slater, 5. Franco Mostert; 6. Ruan Ackermann, 7. Jaco Kriel, 8. Ben Morgan

Replacements
Henry Walker, 17. Val Rapava Ruskin, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. Freddie Clarke, 20. Jake Polledri, 21. Ben Vellacott, 22. Matt Banahan, 23. Charlie Sharples.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Gloucester Rugby
15. Jason Woodward; 14. Tom Marshall, 13. Billy Twelvetrees, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Ollie Thorley; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Willi Heinz (capt); 1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Franco Marais, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Ed Slater, 5. Franco Mostert; 6. Ruan Ackermann, 7. Jaco Kriel, 8. Ben Morgan

Replacements
Henry Walker, 17. Val Rapava Ruskin, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. Freddie Clarke, 20. Jake Polledri, 21. Ben Vellacott, 22. Matt Banahan, 23. Charlie Sharples.

Really pleased that the 2nd row has launchbury and Gaskell. Back row is pretty good, should do well there.

9/10 is a worry especially when you see who Gloucester have. I really hope we win, will be pleasantly surprised if we do

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
So Young and Willis are injured obviously as you would pick either ahead of Hughes. Why put Daly straight in at another position he doesn't play instead of Josh who at least scores some tries. Continue with lateral running no pass Gaby when Neal was obviously up for it last match. Great to see Launch and Shields back plus ZZ. Not convinced by the backs but forwards should hold their own. Glad it is not on TV.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »
Thomas Young (hip pointer) and Jack Willis (ankle strain). Hope they're both back soon.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:00 PM »
Mostly a decent team all things being considered

I'd guess Shields and Hughes would be glad for a start and a game. Daly...I guess we may as well get some mileage and he was a Lions winger I suppose. Disappointed Neal not involved, hope Launch isn't too  tired.

Not expecting too much tbh

I suppose we can end up with a backline of Simmo, Miller, Bassett, Umaga, Daly, Watson WLR which looks good on paper...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »

I'd guess Shields and Hughes would be glad for a start and a game. Daly...I guess we may as well get some mileage and he was a Lions winger I suppose. Disappointed Neal not involved, hope Launch isn't too  tired.

I suppose we can end up with a backline of Simmo, Miller, Bassett, Umaga, Daly, Watson WLR which looks good on paper...

Isn't paper wonderfull.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »
I'm not expecting much from this game, especially the way they played at the Ricoh earlier in the season. A bonus point here or there might be handy but I doubt we'd even manage that.

Happy to be wrong of course!!!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »

Isn't paper wonderfull.

Yeah - I suppose my point, if I had one...., was that it was most unlikely to end up on the pitch as opposed to sur la papier!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 01:57:36 PM »
So Young and Willis are injured obviously as you would pick either ahead of Hughes. Why put Daly straight in at another position he doesn't play instead of Josh who at least scores some tries. Continue with lateral running no pass Gaby when Neal was obviously up for it last match. Great to see Launch and Shields back plus ZZ. Not convinced by the backs but forwards should hold their own. Glad it is not on TV.

But Daly has played plenty of wing, he isnt better than WLR at 15 and isn't preferable at 13 either...
I think Neal would need some time at 12, yes he came on last game but was culpable for a try..Gaby on his day may have the edge, depends when the next day is i guess.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
You can put a bet on it that the day in not tomorrow.
God help us with Daly on the wing if he is asked to tackle.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
Have I missed something, where is MLB?
It was fine when I left it.....

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »

I think he had been injured, but we was on the pitch pre-Newcastle game as one of the 'travelling' reserves.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
I could see Elliot, Willie and Joe combining nicely in attack at least. Hopefully Wllie won't feel he has to go for high risk every time, or at least tone it down a notch. I also hope Elliot feels he has a point to prove in defence. Miller has been solid, especially considering he is arguably 4th choice, is he 100% from tee?

Odd how this season the backs have struggled, but the forwards have been pretty solid, even with injuries. Normally the other way around.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »

I think he had been injured, but we was on the pitch pre-Newcastle game as one of the 'travelling' reserves.

Thanks, I must have missed that...
It was fine when I left it.....