Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Glaws game  (Read 14378 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Glaws game
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
(Pub in an hour....can't wait!)
[/quote]

I have heard that a lot of the players don’t like Dai’s management, that could be the problem.

5 points ahead of Worcester is a concern, something does need to be done. I don’t think we have as good a team lined up for next season, unless other signings are going to be announced. Very worried
[/quote]

Would those players be moving on or signing up again? Sound's like bollx to me...

I'll buck the trend, I thought we were much improved and had a BP until 3 mins to go away to Glaws...who are the form team ATM.

I will say Shields shouldn't be a starter..whilst industrious he misses too many tackles when he constantly bites on on the wrong player leaving gaps.

Im surprised by the responses here..sounds like everyone thought we'd win this.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »
No doubt there has been a performance drop on Wasps behalf and this has been coupled with improvements across a number of rivals.  Therefore we've had a lot of very close encounters and unfortunately some of the players decision making, especially in the final quarter of games, hasn't been what anyone in black and gold will be happy with.  If you end up playing a lot of very tight games, which we have, those decisions on the pitch of both players and officials become critical.

This is certainly not a time to go pointing fingers, largely because I think it is pretty clear that nothing behind the scenes seems to have been smooth running in the last 12 months and I don't think there are any quick fixes.

What I've noticed happening in a lot of games this season is that we are playing with a much more reserved approach and when we do find ourselves in the opposition 22 we snatch at everything and see forwards passes, dropped passes and knock-ons galore; for the statisticians how many times have we failed to score from the opposition 22 this year compared to the last 2-3 years?

I certainly don't think it is time to panic just yet although I do think we perhaps have to look to the players who are the future of Wasps to turn things around.

Massive game next week but if the players regroup and come out and play as a unit we should be able to come away with the W.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
VV do you think it would effect you if you were a player?

What is true is it is a disappointing season

Yes, very much so.

I agree it has been a very disappointing season.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »

I'm not attempting to put any form of blame in the direction of any person or group of people, but let's be realistic about where we are. Regardless of players' form or motivation it has been impossible to build any substantial run of games in pretty much any position at all.

I think we've hopefully been realistic about player availability - I think its probably at least reasonable to ask about form and motivation, no?

Maybe, but it seems to me that because we've all accepted the injury situation and we're still losing people are starting to look for other reasons for the slump when the main reason hasn't actually gone away.

The fact is we are playing with half a squad.  Is it any surprise that those who are left, who are losing, and being publically slated everywhere for constantly losing, are not fully motivated?

I know for a fact that certain people at the club read this forum and DW on a regular basis, do you think what we write here doesn't affect the people reading it?

That's all fair and I hoped I had been balanced in my opinions? As fans we still have the right to express our opinions and I think it reasonable to look critically at performances. I'm not going to stop supporting the team I first saw in the 70's, but I can and will express my disappointment - but I sure won't go about it like many on DW - I don't bother much there anymore because of that tendency.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »
(Pub in an hour....can't wait!)

Bloody pub shut for private party.....

Oh - I'll be up for the next game - I want the guys to show what they can do. If any of them are reading our comments - its disappointment - nothing else - that drives my comments

I do expect much better luck next season

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 07:40:33 AM »
Hoping for a Chiefs win today, which I expect.

And, if anyone is interested this is what the bookies think.

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/england/gallagher-premiership

It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »
Undoubtedly a disappointing season.
I'm sure the players and coaches are hating it too.

I think most of us have accepted that the season is a write off, but there can still be positive to take, and we can still look forward to things improving next season.

Clearly everything we're trying to do to patch the problems this season aren't working, but plans are already in place to do something about that for next year.
Players who may have become divisive elements within the squad are moving on, and new players are coming in.
We're clearly also in contact with at least 1 top quality defence / head coach.

While it's natural in sport these days to look to replace the man in charge after a bad season, that often doesn't improve things measurably.
I firmly believe that Dai is aware of what's wrong but is currently unable to do anything about it.... However, he has a plan to turn the situation around for next season.
That may include having certain players on the pitch more often than we've seen this year, it may include having new coaches, and it may include having new players in the squad to help others settle in better.
All things that can't be done mid-season.

In football, we see managers changed regularly and the clubs fortunes rarely change and the manager uses the excuse that the players / coaches in place or already signed weren't his, so he needs another season or 2 to turn things around.

Those wanting Dai out want Gatland to replace him. However, a Tony Hanks type appointment is more likely in my opinion

It's easy to see the grass as being greener with a new coaching setup or new DOR, but there's just as much chance that things could get worse

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »
VV do you think it would effect you if you were a player?

What is true is it is a disappointing season

Yes, very much so.

I agree it has been a very disappointing season.

I agree with VV. I think a player(s) could be affected by what they read. After all they are young men and some will be insecure and possibly a bit immature. Professional sport is isolating by it's very nature.

And yes, it has been a horrible season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
Did the author of the Guardian article actually watch the game or just make it up after seeing the score?

Regardless of whether going for points was the best option or not, Daly was kicking to level the game with about 10 minutes to play.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
Did the author of the Guardian article actually watch the game or just make it up after seeing the score?

Regardless of whether going for points was the best option or not, Daly was kicking to level the game with about 10 minutes to play.

Maybe he read Boddy Bridge’s article first!