Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Constantly changing expectations  (Read 1393 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Constantly changing expectations
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »
Before the game yesterday I had no expectations of us winning.  I had essentially written it off and simply hoped for a spirited performance to try to build a bit of enthusiasm in the team. But then in the first ten minutes we showed we actually had it in us to win the damn thing.

At that point I went from expecting to lose to believing we could win.  So the loss had gone from being a certainty, to a genuine disappointment.

It would actually be easier as a fan if we just bloody lost, without constantly being given the hope that we could win if we only managed to hold it together and then failing to do that.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Constantly changing expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »
That is very true.
The roller coaster ride hurts more than the inevitability.

I had us to win by a small margin, and keeping up to date via Twitter was painful.

It's hard to remain positive at the moment, but I genuinely feel that we're so close to winning games - although I agree that we're probably a long way from good performances.

If we consider the Gloucester game, we were still easily capable of winning that with 10 minutes to go.

While we usually focus on the performance, it's like every close game has gone against us this season.
That's obviously a sign that we're not good enough or not playing well enough, but if a couple of close games go the other way, things look a lot rosier.... We've lost virtually all of them.

"Ifs and buts" won't get us out of this predicament, but I genuinely think that we'll scrape a win soon.
The good performances can wait

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
This season I've stopped expecting too much at all.  We've not been hugely convincing all season, with some marginal improvements defensively being dominated by a huge lack of conviction and accuracy going forward. 

I do however have absolute faith in Dai off the field and Joe on it to do what is needed to stay in the league.  There are 4 teams below us, Tigers and Bristol are in similar form to us and we play Warriors at home and I'm hoping that we play well enough to be in a position to win that game. 

For that Warriors game we should have Willis back available and I'm hoping between him and Launch they can drag a result from the team.  I will however be nervous as hell because as I can only see it being a tight game.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
Don't forget we are looking to do the double over them on April 6th. We beat them at Sixways early in the season - 20-21.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!