Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Reasons to be cheerful  (Read 3645 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reasons to be cheerful
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:42:18 AM »
I thought it might be nice to look at some of the awesome stuff that is going on at Wasps as a counterpoint to the depressing results we've been seeing of late.

http://onceawasp.com/reasons-to-be-cheerful/

What do you think?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons to be cheerful
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Great article, VV. Nice to be so upbeat on a Monday morning. You make excellent points. Re. coaching - I still think Danny Wilson's defection affected us more than many imagine. I am very glad that we haven't gone for a short term fix and have not yet replaced him. Unlike many who think that good coaches are two a penny and can be whistled up in an instant and castigate Dai for not having done anything about it. Unlike players there are far, far fewer coaches who are well above average and I expect he's been busting his balls to get us the best new coach(es) available.

Player churn: This is pretty much down to the salary cap and if senior players are offered more than they get with us, I for one don't blame them. Short careers, etc, etc. Even an extra 50K/PA equates to approx a grand a week more in the pay packet. What about Steve Diamond offering to drive the removal van and get his academy lads in to do the shifting  ;D

As for the rumours about third world training facilities and toxic culture, it only takes one sh*t stirrer and those that want to hear it will believe it.

Thanks VV.

PS. There is a rumour in the Telegraph that DC has a break clause in his contract. Now there's a surprise.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »
Saw the topic and had to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjh1a9Yoao

Great read though. Thanks for putting pen to paper, both of the electronic variety.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »
Thanks for the article - certainly ties in with the lovely morning here in the West Country - blue skies and sunshine and now a break to allow some of the injured and worn out some time to chill and come back to produce some Wasps Spring Stings!

Yes - it is easy to get overwrought and I deliberately edited back my rant from the weekend. I think we need to keep positive but also keep and eye on the real world and looking at the other sides around us at the wrong end of the table - its going to be hard.

COYW

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
That’s made me feel a bit better, I was just doing the maths on my predictions for fixtures for the rest of the season and getting quite depressed. Have just bought ticket (£ 35 to stand!) for the Bath game which I think will be more than important for both clubs. Off for a ride to make the most of the cool but sunny day - never know might cycle to the Rec on the 5th.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
To be fair, if just 2 of those tight games had gone out way we would be looking at playoffs. The league is that close.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
To be fair, if just 2 of those tight games had gone out way we would be looking at playoffs. The league is that close.

Exactly.  It's hard to take the losses, but Dai is exactly right when he says we are not a million miles off where we need to be.  Tiny margins have big effects.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
Re. coaching - I still think Danny Wilson's defection affected us more than many imagine. I am very glad that we haven't gone for a short term fix and have not yet replaced him. Unlike many who think that good coaches are two a penny and can be whistled up in an instant and castigate Dai for not having done anything about it. Unlike players there are far, far fewer coaches who are well above average and I expect he's been busting his balls to get us the best new coach(es) available.

Tigers were obviously in a similar position recently, and searched around for the best defence coach they could find mid-season.
That man turned out to be Phil Blake - the very man that we attempted to replace in the Summer.

How's that worked out for Leicester?
(this isn't particularly scientific)

After round 11 of the Premiership (i.e. start of 2019): (2 or 3 weeks are Murphy stepped up and the same time that Phil Blake joined)
Wasps were 8th in the league, Leicester were 9th (1 position difference)
Wasps had 25 points, Leicester had 24 (1 point difference)
Wasps had a points difference of -54, Leicester had a points difference of -74 (20 points difference)

Fast Forward to today
Wasps are still 8th in the league, Leicester are 10th (2 position difference)
Wasps have 37 points, Leicester have 34 (3 points difference)
Wasps have a points difference of -61, Leicester's is -119 (58 points difference)

I really won't be suggesting that we're doing well, but it appears that since giving Murphy the top job and bringing in a defence coach mid-season, Leicester's season has gone worse than ours (which is in itself hard to believe)

There's still quite a long way to go, and we have some really tough games to finish the season, but as things stand, you could argue that rumbling on as we are, has so far been better than jumping for someone mid-season.
If that culminates in us staying up, and getting someone like Shaun (there's not many like Shaun) for next season, then it'd be hard to argue that it was the right decision to hold fire.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
That's a very good point, wasps. I'd forgotten about the quick fix (Phil Blake) applied to Tigers' defence.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »
VV good post and read. Just got back after an exceedingly long dog walk in the spring countryside on a sunny morning and come back to this. Nice!
Laid out simply like that no-one can argue that as a whole things are not as bad as others may think or wish. A good point about communication however I think with Bobby Bridge on point we get far more rugby news than some and indeed more than in the past. There must be a trust there that allows more to percolate out. The Company as a whole has to have secrecy in its business dealings as you have outlined.
I also wonder how our recruitment actually happens - is it Dai only or (say) somebody like a Shaun Edwards is approached by Nick E or someone else.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »
Great article, I fully agree with the comments on coaching. Dai said all along that he wasn’t going to get anyone in for the sake of it, and if Shaun does come to wasps I think it’ll be a master stroke.

It will be seen as a sort of rebuilding year but if it means that we can reset, with players who have been brought through as us being a Coventry team we can start a new chapter.

End of the transition from London chapter and start of the new midlands powerhouse.

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
Excellent article VV. Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture to see how things are.

Our player availability has crucified us this season, I can't think of 2 games in a row where we have had an unchanged lineup. It's also been transitional as we see some long term players move on, now it's for the next group to take on the mantle, along with a fast improving group from the academy. Dai has bided his time over coaches, certain we'll have a head coach in over the summer, Worzel or Shaun would be fantastic, it'll help to spread the load too.

The non rugby side is definitely prospering, big shows in June and July will help the coffers. Adding another hotel will also bring more revenue to us.

I think we're all agreed that it's been a horrible season but I see enough to make me feel positive about the future. I wouldn't have renewed my ST had that not been the case.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
I also wonder how our recruitment actually happens - is it Dai only or (say) somebody like a Shaun Edwards is approached by Nick E or someone else.

This is an interesting question.  I can't see someone of Shaun's calbre and experience coming to the club on the basis of a few chats with Dai.  I think it would take several meetings between Dai and the board.  I also expect Derek will have been involved.

I don't really see it as us having interviewed him for the role, but more him having interviewed the club to make sure it is the right fit for him.

Perhaps for a newer or less experienced coach it might be a shorter process, but a highly successful International coach isn't going to come along without full due dilligence on their part.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
Yes I think you have laid out roughly what I was thinking. Very much - we are interested in your services would you like to come?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Excellent article. It has been a bad year, but as someone else pointed out with a couple of results the other way we would be in contention for top 4.

I do find the most depressing thing is not the losing (bad though that is) but the manner in which we throw away results with headless moments from experienced players (e.g. WLR kicking possession away and 2 minutes later we concede a try). But, there is a lot to be positive about and you summed it up excellently. Thank you.