Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is The Drop Goal Becoming an Endangered Species?  (Read 2898 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Is The Drop Goal Becoming an Endangered Species?
« on: March 25, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
Alex King liked them and used the DG as a way of keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Elliot Daly put one over against Bath in 2016 and was reported as saying "one from one - never again". Why? Is it something to do with the emergence of the kick/pass. Nowadays teams seem to think either try or penalty. I did a little research and came up with the following stat: in the past 6 nations there were only 2 drop goals scored - both by France. I have failed to find a similar stat for this season's Prem. The previous season, Johnny Sexton's winning DG against France was on everyone's highlights reel.

It is another way of scoring and defence against it has to be different. Apart from a potential 3 points, It can be used to keep defences honest. Possibly the TBP might have, to some extent, made a DG less attractive. However if your side becomes known as liking a DG, then you might catch an over enthusiastic tackler getting caught offside.  I would like to see it's return to our club's attacking option.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Is The Drop Goal Becoming an Endangered Species?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
I'm not  a fan myself.

Unless you have an absolute master of them in your team they are too hit and miss. Also tell's me either the team dont have the ability or confidence to score tries.  If your always ahead on the board I guess there is a place for them to build the scoreboard but only to supplement try scoring ability.

Always feel a bit deflated post drop goal. For me either pressure will result in a more kickable penalty or reap the reward of a possible 7. Plus, as a player when you miss your never thanked for the decision.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:54:35 PM »
You need a very good passer at 9, otherwise a fast blitzing defence can put some serious pressure on. If you're in a position to make a drop goal, you're also in a decent position to get a penalty or try.

If you had someone who could semi-regularly get them from near the halfway line (so play would need to be on the 10m or beyond, then it's a useful tool again.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
Seem to still see them regularly in French rugby. They seem to like them.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
I think they're good for keeping the score ticking over and helping to ensure you come away with points each time you're in the opposition 22. It's near criminal to be messing around in the 22 for 5 minutes and lose possession with no score.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 04:49:57 PM »
I think they're good for keeping the score ticking over and helping to ensure you come away with points each time you're in the opposition 22. It's near criminal to be messing around in the 22 for 5 minutes and lose possession with no score.

Damn right. I think they are lot better than a speculative kick/pass to the winger in the corner. Also you are more likely to regain possession if the oppo has to restart with a 22.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
Jannie de Beer showed they could be quite useful in 1999, and there was quite an exciting one in 2003 if I recall correctly. Perhaps they will come back into fashion.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
I think I saw a stat on drop goal success rates, and the article stated that it was quite a low percentage rate - but I can't remember what it was, and I can't find the article.
With the analysis in the game these days, if they're deemed low percentage chances, teams just won't go for them.

What annoys me most though is when teams get a penalty advantage in front of the posts, and then go for a drop goal.
If they're getting an almost guaranteed 3 points anyway from the penalty advantage, it makes no sense to me to take a risk at 3 points from a drop goal.
That's when teams should be doing something risky to try to unlock the defence.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
I think I saw a stat on drop goal success rates, and the article stated that it was quite a low percentage rate - but I can't remember what it was, and I can't find the article.
With the analysis in the game these days, if they're deemed low percentage chances, teams just won't go for them.

What annoys me most though is when teams get a penalty advantage in front of the posts, and then go for a drop goal.
If they're getting an almost guaranteed 3 points anyway from the penalty advantage, it makes no sense to me to take a risk at 3 points from a drop goal.

I haven't seen that happen before but sounds like madness to me

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »

I haven't seen that happen before but sounds like madness to me

I’ve seen it a couple times, clubs tend to do it when there appears to be no attacking opportunity. Then they do not waste 2 minutes to come back for the kick anyway and keep pace and tempo in the game.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 05:04:42 PM »
I think its a good weapon to have in the arsenal.. mainly to be used when the attacking pack are getting nowhere in the 22 and the ball is static and slow at the base of a ruck.. as long as its fairly central in front of the posts .

Continually taking the ball into pick go rucks can back fire, knock-ons in the tackle.. having the ball jackalled (I'm sure our pack have done this on numerous occasions).

Even if the drop-goal misses you're more than likely to get the ball back to reset and try a dfferent approach

Bizarrely, up until a few seasons ago, when  a team had been notified of a penalty, and play continued via advantage, the 10 would normally try a snap drop-goal.. which is no more than the 3pts from a penalty?