Always a Wasp

Author Topic: And So On To Worcester at Home  (Read 11749 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
And So On To Worcester at Home
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »
With some players returning from injury, out of form or still injured Dai has as usual selection conundrums.

This will be one of the most important games of our season, so IMO we need experience as starters and, where possible, on the bench as well. So much as I (and we all) would like to see some up and comers on the field, this game is not the one for it.
Lima is said to be fit to return. So I would have him start. Miller has been a very adequate stand in so should he be benched to cover 10 or 15? I would have Lima at 10 and Willie at 15, with Rob on the bench. Wingers, I would have Marcus on one wing (he seems to like 14) and possibly Josh on the other but maybe Ross Neal. I would have loved to give Sirkar a shot but the Wuss wingers will probably be Heem and Adams, so I don't think it would be fair on him to get his chance in this game.
Centres: JdeJ at 12 has to be one - the other? Take your pick, I think. For some reason (I know, I'm bonkers) but I would be tempted to have Elliot as the other. 13 was always his best position for us and he does have a huge boot.
Simmo to start with Porter on the bench.
Back row: Hopefully Jack Willis (6) will be fully fit. YY (7) returning? And Nemo at 8. Nathan on the bench.
Second Row; Joe  and Jamma for me.
Front Row: Jake at TH and ZZ LH and Tom Cruse (my vote for player of the season). Kieran, Chesty and TT (assuming all fully fit to play) on the bench.
So, here's my starting XV:

15 - Willie
14 - Marcus
13 - Elliot (as I've gone on record as saying he should be nowhere near the black and gold for the rest of the season, this is a big call from me)
12 - JdeJ.
11 - Josh probably or Ross Neal.
10 - Lima
  9 - Simmo
  8 - Nemo
  7 - YY
  6 - Jack W
  5 - Jamma
  4 - Joe
  3 - Jake
  2 - Tom C
  1 - ZZ.

Bench: Chesty, TT, KB, Will, Nathan, Ben, Ian, Miller. Yes, 6/2 I know. Could be asking for trouble  :-\
I really want us to beat them up front, hence the extra forward on the bench. Sorry, but I couldn't find a place for Ash, but with others back to fitness, I'm afraid he drops down the pecking order (for me at least).

Regarding Elliot at 13, I know many will heartily disagree but he is very experienced and in the spotlight at home. If there is any suggestion in training that he is not fully engaged then drop him entirely.

This presupposes full (or as close to it as possible) fitness. Would love to hear what others think.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: And So On To Worcester at Home
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
Is Lima definitely going to be back?

If Gaby is injured it good be Booj to 12 or jdj to 12 Daly to 13

Big decisions to be made in the back row too. Young has to start and then it’s between Shields and Hughes who’ll probably get the nod when I think most of us would start Nemo and jack Willis instead

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »
Quote from Bobby Bridge:

Lima Sopoaga is set to make his Wasps return against Worcester Warriors, according to The Rugby Paper.

I would have expected Bobby to have checked with his club contacts before saying this. After all he was at the A game on Saturday with Dai and (I think) Lima.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
I'd be very loathe to leave Ash out, what he lacks in some areas he more than makes up for in attitude and spirit.  And I think that's exactly what we're lacking at the moment.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
I'd be very loathe to leave Ash out, what he lacks in some areas he more than makes up for in attitude and spirit.  And I think that's exactly what we're lacking at the moment.

I agree 100% VV which is why in particular I name checked him. But assuming full fitness, I don't know who to drop to find a place for him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
For me I'd put him ahead of Nathan.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
For me I'd put him ahead of Nathan.

Very true. I included Nathan as, if necessary, he can play 2nd row. I don't think that has featured on Ash's CV yet, though I'm sure he'd be prepared to give it a go :D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »
For me I would like to see something like this

15 - Willie
14 - Marcus
13 - Elliot
12 - JdeJ.
11 - Josh
10 - Lima
  9 - Simmo
  8 - Hughes
  7 - YY
  6 - Jack W
  5 - Shields
  4 - Joe
  3 - Jake
  2 - TT
  1 - ZZ.

McIntyre, cruse, Stuart, Gaskell, Nemo/Ashley, Porter, Neal and Miller
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:28:36 AM by Westy68 »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »

15 - Willie
14 - Marcus
13 - Elliot
12 - JdeJ.
11 - Josh
10 - Lima
  9 - Simmo
  8 - Hughes
  7 - YY
  6 - Jack W
  5 - Shields
  4 - Joe
  3 - Jake
  2 - TT
  1 - ZZ.

That's pretty good. My main concern is starting Brad at 5 as he's primarily a back row.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
I know those who can get to the games have a better feel for the games - having eventually got around to watching the Glaws game in full off Prem TV, i was less concerned about individual's attitude - I felt everyone wanted to win and were prepared to put the effort in.

Happy to be corrected, but I've not felt (my rant the other week apart...) that we've not wanted it, its just not gone our way and we've played badly trying too hard at times.

Who would I want vs Worc? I'm struggling - I see the team suggested, depending on who is fit, the front 5 probably pick themselves, backrow more down to fitness - I like Shields as a player - watched quite a few games from the SH - I'd hope Tom is fit and the only "concern" in terms of form is Hughes. Probably bench for me with Carr at 8

Backs-wise - I agree with the "experience is king" meme, certainly in terms of starting line up. so, Simmo and Lima if fit to start. Centres - harder, Lima has played quite a few games with Booj who now looks fit again as well as others. Daly at 13 if head in right place and the "usual" back three. Can easily see it being:

Simmo, Lima, Bassett, JdeJ, Daly, Watson, WLR.

Bench is harder, its hard on Miller to be on the bench, but needs must, and I'd risk Jacob to allow max ability to change the game if we're in trouble....rest per needs/fitness

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »

15 - Willie
14 - Marcus
13 - Elliot
12 - JdeJ.
11 - Josh
10 - Lima
  9 - Simmo
  8 - Hughes
  7 - YY
  6 - Jack W
  5 - Shields
  4 - Joe
  3 - Jake
  2 - TT
  1 - ZZ.

That's pretty good. My main concern is starting Brad at 5 as he's primarily a back row.

I do agree but I can’t see Dai leaving shields out. I would be very unhappy if he played shields at 6 and left Willis out, which I can see Dai doing something stupid like that.

Dai will play shields, therefore I put him in the 2nd row. Hasn’t he played there plenty of times?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
Dai will play shields, therefore I put him in the 2nd row. Hasn’t he played there plenty of times?

Pretty much only when brought off the bench as cover. EJ has I think done this several times. In general I don't particularly like players out of position and, AFAIK, Brad is a flanker or 8. I know you don't rate Dai but I would be surprised if he started Brad in the back row, assuming full fitness of Jack and YY. If either of those are carrying knocks then I can certainly see a place for Brad, but in the back row.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
Dai normally puts returnees on the bench. I would like to see Lima at 12 outside Rob at 10, with Umaga on the bench. Probably a bit untested for an important game though.

Edit- I mean players returning from injury normally return from the bench.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:11:17 PM by Brandnewtorugby »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »

Pretty much only when brought off the bench as cover. EJ has I think done this several times. In general I don't particularly like players out of position and, AFAIK, Brad is a flanker or 8. I know you don't rate Dai but I would be surprised if he started Brad in the back row, assuming full fitness of Jack and YY. If either of those are carrying knocks then I can certainly see a place for Brad, but in the back row.

Absolutely agree if Willis is not 100% then Brad has to play. If he is 100% Willis has got to play 6, or am I over rating Willis?