Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Israel Folau Sacked  (Read 7829 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Israel Folau Sacked
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 10:44:21 PM »

I do wonder what his next move is... Similar to Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, they are fine players but clubs will be reluctant to associate.

Sure he’ll be at Sale for next season

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:16:00 AM »
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/112005730/israel-folau-spotted-at-sydney-cafe-in-first-public-appearance-since-sacking-notice

Israel Folau met with Australian rugby bosses on Friday afternoon in a bid to save his career but they are standing firm in their determination to sack him.

Folau's career is on the line after the firestorm created by his inflammatory social media posts and he entered RA's building at Moore Park just after midday (2pm NZ time), about 16 hours after the game's governing body said its intention was to sack the Wallabies star for posting a photo to Instagram that listed "homosexuals" as one of eight various groups that would go to hell.

However, after that short meeting Rugby Australia and the NSW Rugby Union issued a statement that declared: "Our joint position regarding Israel Folau is unchanged."

Folau is reportedly seeking a code of conduct hearing to determine his future but the joint RA/NSW statement would suggest RA chief executive Raelene Castle is up for the fight.

It was fine when I left it.....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
This isn't the first time he has done this so I do hope that Rugby Australia take serious action this time round.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
BillyV has jumped in now, indirectly defending Folau, I would keep it shut if I were Billy. And the Toulon owner in his usual 'don't hold back' style has publicly called Folau a Moron...there will be Morons all over the world not wanting to be classified in the same group as Folau now ;-)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
Yes, although I don’t think Billy’s comments are anywhere near as inflammatory (deliberately or otherwise), sometimes it’s best to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
Don't you just love the younger generations and their use of social media. The gift that keeps giving! Idiots,
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »
BillyV has jumped in now, indirectly defending Folau, I would keep it shut if I were Billy. And the Toulon owner in his usual 'don't hold back' style has publicly called Folau a Moron...there will be Morons all over the world not wanting to be classified in the same group as Folau now ;-)

Didn't see the offending tweet but it's certainly kicked up a fuss!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 02:12:58 PM »
It was an Instagram post rather than a Tweet, basically saying that he wasn’t going to ‘unlike’ Folau’s post from the other day despite having had a few phone calls from people asking him to do so and the reasoning behind not unliking the post.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »

It was on Instagram

vunipola_billy
So this morning I got 3 phone calls from people telling me to ‘unlike’ the @izzyfolau post. This is my position on it. I don’t HATE anyone neither do I think I’m perfect. There just comes a point when you insult what I grew up believing in that you just say enough is enough, what he’s saying isn’t that he doesn’t like or love those people. He’s saying how we live our lives needs to be closer to how God intended them to be. Man was made for woman to pro create that was the goal no? I’m not perfect I’m at least everything on that list at least at one point in my life. It hurts to know that. But that’s why I believe there’s a God. To guide and protect us and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »

It was on Instagram

vunipola_billy
So this morning I got 3 phone calls from people telling me to ‘unlike’ the @izzyfolau post. This is my position on it. I don’t HATE anyone neither do I think I’m perfect. There just comes a point when you insult what I grew up believing in that you just say enough is enough, what he’s saying isn’t that he doesn’t like or love those people. He’s saying how we live our lives needs to be closer to how God intended them to be. Man was made for woman to pro create that was the goal no? I’m not perfect I’m at least everything on that list at least at one point in my life. It hurts to know that. But that’s why I believe there’s a God. To guide and protect us and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Ah fair enough, thank you!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
Sometimes it pays to just say nothing, Billy should have had that thought......https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47909515

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
Will be interesting to see how the RFU deal with this, considering the lengthy ban Nathan got for posting "What a Joke!" on twitter.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Billy could have gone down the "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it" line, but seems to have gone with "I agree". When will these guys learn???

As an aside, in his response did Billy inadvertently out himself? What will Izzy think of that????

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »
Billy could have gone down the "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it" line, but seems to have gone with "I agree". When will these guys learn???

As an aside, in his response did Billy inadvertently out himself? What will Izzy think of that????

He certainly admitted at least one instance of homosexuality.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
I would prefer it if we did not employ him, not because of his views per se,  he is entitled to them, but because he chooses to express them in public, knowing that they are considered unacceptable to society at large. I don't agree with his views, he can have them if he wishes, as long as they are not expressed in public,  or perhaps in whatever church he goes to. I feel his comments bring Christianity and Rugby into disrepute, quite an achievement for such a short post.

Still, I think us turning him down is a bit like me ruling out Scarlett Johanson (sp) from a threesome with my wife....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:17:47 PM by westwaleswasp »