Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Billy Vunipola Dropped  (Read 7744 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Billy Vunipola Dropped
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
It is reported that Billy got booed when he came off the bench at Briz today.

He got booed every time he touched the ball or made a tackle.

As Bristol is a very diverse and very inclusive (in the main) its no great surprise. It has a big gay pride event which runs for 2 weeks and is host to Bristol Bisons, an "inclusive rugby team"

Its a bit like the reaction as if he's been playing in Brighton

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
Gotta love the West Country sense of humour, Bears played 'It's Raining Men' over the PA at half time, quality!
It was fine when I left it.....

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
Gotta love the West Country sense of humour, Bears played 'It's Raining Men' over the PA at half time, quality!

That's very funny indeed

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
So Nathan suggests the RFU are jokers and gets a longer ban and Billy gets told off for his outburst - which he has not taken down yet. You do despair over the RFU and some of its actions.
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
Can't have the Premiership golden boys being in too much trouble  ::)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »

You are too right.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
Agreed

And on other website we're starting to get some apologists that are suggesting BV has been disrespected and the like.

Given we live in a country that rejects prejudice and discrimination, I'd have presumed someone with half a brain would get that supporting and publicising such views comes (or should come) at a cost.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »
Ah the half brain hurdle to cross sadly seems lacking.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »
Yep - as I posted elsewhere (not DW) I don't think this is a "position" that BV has thought through carefully, but you'd have thought an agent or someone might have briefed him on social media?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
I have had discussions many times with what I call younger generations about being careful very careful about modern social media platforms. There seems to be a lack of appreciation that committing your immediate thoughts to a computer commits them to the ether for ever. The mantra of type, then stop and think before sending seems sadly ignored.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:27:30 PM by Neils »

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »

There are a number of issues in play here, the main one being BV himself and his crass attitude. The other main one is that the RFU is being inconsistent almost by design. By that I mean, Nathan's misguided tweet was viewed as criticism aimed towards the panel and the RFU, therefore the punishment was upped to reflect their perspective in relation to what 'they' thought was perhaps an 'outrage'. With the BV issue they are not outraged and any slight was not aimed at them but another community, therefore the punishment is viewed as adequate from their point of view. I see many more years of bewildering decisions from the RFU and the disciplinary panels, it will take years to turn that battleship.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
Should sink it!  :)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »

There are a number of issues in play here, the main one being BV himself and his crass attitude. The other main one is that the RFU is being inconsistent almost by design. By that I mean, Nathan's misguided tweet was viewed as criticism aimed towards the panel and the RFU, therefore the punishment was upped to reflect their perspective in relation to what 'they' thought was perhaps an 'outrage'. With the BV issue they are not outraged and any slight was not aimed at them but another community, therefore the punishment is viewed as adequate from their point of view. I see many more years of bewildering decisions from the RFU and the disciplinary panels, it will take years to turn that battleship.

So do you think that the RFU will only dish out harsher sentences based on whether they're included in the insults or not? It's what it appears to be.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
Should sink it!  :)

Sink the Bismark (RFU). I have been calling for this for years. A load of (old minded) duffers living in a different age. Not fit for purpose.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 04:45:01 PM »
No, in the comparison that was drawn earlier in the thread I feel there are reasons for the inconsistency, Nathan was harshly treated for what was very minor, I have concluded that the panel felt the tweet was aimed at them and therefore they have reacted to that part of the issue within the process. In the BV instance they will be so far removed from the severity, or the likely impact of the social media post, then they will perhaps see it as trivial. My underlying point is that the RFU is inconsistent by design, Gaby got 4 weeks last season for an error of judgement, Tom Youngs gets 3 weeks for smashing shoulder first into a players head, a player who was on the floor and unable to move out of the way. Inconsistent seems to be the watch word.