Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Doesn't Sound Promising!  (Read 10643 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Doesn't Sound Promising!
« on: May 01, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/mark-wilson-wasps-rugby-news-16206781

We all know the Mark Wilson rumour but don't think he will appear with us - more likely Sale. However the Coach situation where Dai is quoted as "I don't have the authority to offer anybody else one really" after Shaun said no is worrying in the extreme. I, like many, assumed something WAS happening but being kept under tight wrapis to avoid another Wilson style poaching exercise. This doesn't sound promising - unless it is Derek doing the approaching and not Dai! Some (!) may know better.
Comments from Lima are as he has already said in interview.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't Sound Promising!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:58 PM »
I read it as they made a decision it was Edwards..now it isn't they need to re-look and come to another decision...expected really.

Wilson is a worry, in a RWC year, whats the point.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by Hymenoptera »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:54:25 PM »
No my assumption was that Shaun was a late entry into the equation. They should have got somebody lined up before Shaun's Agent started his rumours - lets face it until 2/3 weeks ago he was going to Wigan. Wasps surely can't have let things lie unchanged until this point of the season.

Agree about Wilson.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »
I read it that they have no-one lined up. We have been through this discussion before. Very few coaches of note are free right now. Post RWC - maybe.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
We only heard in the media about Shaun a short while ago.... There's nothing to suggest that's only when talks started. I have a feeling plenty was going on before then. Remember Andy Goode stated on his podcast a couple months back that something really exciting was coming for Wasps... My understanding was that this was Shaun. I wouldn't expect Andy to hear about it straight away but rather at a more advanced stage. So my take is that the Shaun discussions have been going on for a few months and that it only came to light in recenty times (likely due to agents tactics).

So Dai saying they had a contract lined up for him and only him (with him being our primary target) is not that concering for me. Dai and Derek will go back to assessing things and probably look towards the RWC situation.

Regarding Mark Wilson, I'll be surprised if we sign him as we're already well stocked in backrow (Shields, Young, Willis J, Carr, Johnson, Reider, Willis T, Vailanu) so would hope we'd put those funds to better use.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of it.  It looks like they were very advanced on negotiations with Edwards, but are not at that stage with anyone else.  The slightly worrying bit is where Dai says that they will wait and see if they 'move on that'.  That is a little ambiguous - do they have someone that they need to decide whether to pursue, are they thinking they may not bother at all, are they starting with another blank sheet of paper.  I guess we can only wait and see (and hope).

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »
The quote came from the article a few weeks ago that confirmed that Shaun wasn’t joining Wasps.

From how it read then: Dai and Derek agreed that Shaun was a genuine target and Dai could offer Shaun a contract. Shaun turned it down and there was not a plan B at that time (maybe due to the short notice at where Shaun became genuinely available).

It seems that Dai and Derek agree on a target, and the Derek provides Dai with a contract plan for him to offer a prospective coach (Dai does the interview as a proper rugby man)

In the last few weeks, Dai and Derek have probably been working up a shortlist, and after interviews, you can bet Derek will give Dai his blessing to offer a couple of contracts to who Dai feels deserve them

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
The whole Shaun Edwards thing (not just with us) sounds a total f*ck up. Firstly he was going back to RL and Wigan, then he wasn't but was actually staying with Wales all along, then he was coming to us, then he only wanted international rugby and was staying with Wales but wanted four years straight with no break clause whereas all the rest of the Wales coaching staff got 4 years but with a 2 year break clause, then he wasn't staying with Wales at all but was going with Rafa to France.............Come on man, make your bloody mind up or you'll find yourself in the queue outside the labour exchange with your flat cap and the whippet.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
I cannot believe that 'nothing' will happen with respect to the coaching void at Wasps. If they let this one slip then it is total incompetence all round.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
Interesting that Gatland has told Edwards to put an end to it as it is beginning to detract from Wales preparations (can't believe it is but).

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 03:07:43 PM »
On the Wilson thing, it does say a post WC loan deal until Newcastle come back up. Not sure how a loan affects salary cap, maybe a salary sharing deal with Falcons, cheaper for them and we get a low cost International.

Who knows who we'll have fit by the time the WC ends????

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »
On the Wilson thing, it does say a post WC loan deal until Newcastle come back up. Not sure how a loan affects salary cap, maybe a salary sharing deal with Falcons, cheaper for them and we get a low cost International.

Who knows who we'll have fit by the time the WC ends????

Pre RWC training, RWC, post RWC rest protocols, 6N, more rest protocols...

It doesn't fit in any way and could be unsettling for no reason...I hope Jim has his facts wrong and he goes to Sale. Our back row is just fine without him.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:56 PM »
Interesting that Gatland has told Edwards to put an end to it as it is beginning to detract from Wales preparations (can't believe it is but).

This thought had crossed my mind but most players will realise coaches will move on after a WC cycle finishes. Seeing as Gatland has already announced he's not staying I would expect most of his coaches will move on.

I wonder if Howley is staying?

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »
Two things with this;

From Edwards perspective if he can't make his mind up which offer meets his aspirations he may find that those willing to offer him a lucrative position fade quite quickly. 

From Wasps perspective it wasn't ideal that this news was leaked so long ago, whether we are still looking or not, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until a contract is signed.  It may be a case where a number of international roles need to be filled before anyone will commit.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 04:29:23 PM »
As has been said, we already knew that Dai had the authority to approach Shaun, not someone else.

I'll take it as them being very particular about coaches, same with Wilson. As annoying as it can be, that we approach, and fail, we're losing our targets to international rugby, which is exactly the standard of coach I'm glad we're aiming for.

Hopefully once Edwards went cold, we started looking at others. There's likely to be a fair few on the market after the RWC, so we'll see how we go.